Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 10:46 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we apparently are paying way too much overtime, though I wouldn't say that's the PO's root issue.
Pay is not the root issue. However operating cost is something the PMG can have some impact over long term However congress is saying that he can't do anything to effect operating cost from demanding a truck rolls on time and sending the late piece the next day to consolidating the fewer letters in the system to fewer machines.

Now for years the postal service has cried needs of the service and forced people to work ever longer hours just to meet their internal goals. As many have noticed it is becoming more common for carriers to be out in the dark But more importantly Congress by law will be saying that an unattainable standard must be met. As a worker can't be in two locations at once to make up staff losses

Congressional action means a law, not just an employers goal, to force the 70% of union workers who do not wish overtime to keep working as anything else done still does not change the law of physics since one person can only be one place at one time and eventually you hit that chock point. I can only see two options since folks are not signing up for the non career second tier entry postal jobs. First force people to keep working ever longer hours or use selective service to conscript manpower to work those hours. And at this COVID moment which is spawning the law the number of those those under quarantine means they can continue to force the healthy workers to stay 12 hours a day for 6 or 7 days a week and mail still will be delayed.

To steal from baseball player Curt Flood statement for free agency we might be well paid at double our normal rate but we are still slaves a we are forced to work past the 8 hour day and 40 hour work week that the labor movement was born to fight for. And now Congress wishes to keep the heel of their boot on labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 10:47 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If the Post Office goes, it will cost you $24 to mail a letter with the competition.

Please explain what enhanced service we should expect from this.

I haven't purchased a stamp in twenty years.

I'm pretty sure I can live without a postal service.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:54 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You people arguing against Mail in balloting need to take a long look in the mirror, and ask yourself if you’re arguing it because President Trump said so (without providing any evidence at all). What you’re really doing is arguing for voter suppression. You don’t want legitimate voters to vote, their right, because if they do it might result in a Trump loss.

Deep down inside where you can’t lie to yourself, you know it. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
no, that's not why.

Since 1984 I have voted in every election - local and national. And 1 time I needed an absentee ballot. Every other time, in person.

For 200+ years, it seems these 2 options were sufficient (other than military members and perhaps a few other similar situations).

Then states began offering "early voting". It - like all voting rules - varies state to state. Some places are open 6 or 7 days a week for several weeks.

Then, registering to vote by a deadline was deemed not good enough. We've got to have instant registration and go right now and vote and hey don't forget it was party X that picked you up and brought you here and gave you a Coke.

Requiring a valid ID is not voter suppression.
Cleaning out years-old non-voters and dead voters and moved voters from the rolls is not suppression.

I want every single adult person in the US capable of forming their own thoughts, that has the right to vote to register to vote, and to vote. Period.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:01 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This post office story is nuts. We’re watching Trump intentionally destroy the post office in real time after admitting his motive for doing so.

There are stories all over the internet about sick people not getting their meds, old people not getting their pills, unemployed not getting their checks, etc etc. The USPS is how over 1,000,000 U.S. military service men and women will vote from out of state.

All because Trump is INTENTIONALLY trying to sabotage the postal service to help him win the election.

Anyone who still supports this fat orange turd should be ashamed. Trump is literally trying to undermine democracy by making it as hard as possible for people to vote by mail during a pandemic.

Source?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
how is that folks wouldn't get their meds? How many people does this affect?

How many small businesses rely on postal delivery, and for what?

if the post office said - your "free shipping on vital meds" won't get there in 3 days, it will take 7, what do you think the medication providers would do?

Now, if a small business - or anyone - is paying for 2-day USPS shipping, then the USPS should be getting it to the destination in 2 days. And if they need to increase the rate, then do that.
Simply a thousand pieces hit the station needing to be sent to the proper carrier route. Only the person who does that or a family member is sick or under quarantine and due to many others being in isolation there is no substitute available to move the mail that step. So that entire piece of equipment holding random pieces it is pushed in the corner to work the next day. Only there is already stuff needing to be worked the next day so that next day is pushed further back to yet another day. We are now at a 4 day backlog and still being mandated and forced to work 12 hours on and off. So much for no overtime, the PMG's goal

Now the service had tried to triage the pieces in that equipment being differed, slowing everything down for the extra handling by the way, meaning more pieces stack up instead of being delivered. And during the triage pull out what seems like prescription medications by feel to make them a priority along with Priority Mail and Amazon parcels but many slip through the cracks and our veterans didn't get their medication today, tomorrow or the next day as it sits until a body is finally available to work that day's parcels.

But of course the USPS is not UPS or FedEx so they can not raise the price due to congestion, raising gas prices or anything. The price is what the price is and the USPS can not refuse service.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:06 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
An absentee ballot is a mail in ballot. It just is.
Be clear --- they still need to be mailed. And given the removal of blue postal boxes, elimination of sorting machines, and slashing postal resources.......this impedes the ability for our post office to handle a surge in absentee ballots as well.

Trump is most definitely campaigning against blue states using any kind of mail in balloting --- He does not want Democrats to vote.

And he has been clear on that.

It isn't about the integrity of the election process -- it is about suppressing votes against him.
I have no doubt that in your mind these are all truths. That doesn't make them all true though.

Just one...the bolded.

Quote:
Five states – Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, and Washington – conduct what are commonly referred to as all-mail elections.
Has Trump said THESE states shouldn't do mail-in voting? Has he said only Utah should (since it's red)?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:15 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
I agree, if you can get groceries you can vote in person. Besides your tissue paper mask should protect you.

Democrats know darn well they want to use the mail in ballots to commit fraud. If pets and dead people are getting ballots, you know illegal aliens are going to get them too. In fact, I know a couple illegal immigrants that have voted in 2016 through mail-in. So spare me BS “mail-in ballot fraud don’t exist”. It’s funny when people claim “it’s rare” or “doesn’t exists”, or “no proof”. Lol. They’re just parroting CNN MSNBC talking points.

Democrats know Joe Biden isn’t worth waiting in line for and possibly getting Covid with their cheapass mask, lol.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:26 AM

17,616 posts, read 6,898,231 times
Post title is a lie, but not surprising from OP.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
we apparently are paying way too much overtime, though I wouldn't say that's the PO's root issue.
Who's "we"?

Old 08-15-2020, 05:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
you can't defund what you haven't funded though...
Not sure what this has to do with my post, but yeah, "defund" would be a poor choice of words IMO.

Quote:
...I mean, I know it's been a day since I looked at this topic. I'm sure the high-minded, like the OP, have discussed the major problems with the Post Office, and how they might be fixed.

*they're not allowed to change prices
*they were required to unusually pre-fund pension obligations
*anything else y'all feel is overall hindering their ability to perform.

Do we have a "right" to get our mail every day? In this connected age, is once a week OK?
Where are the slowdowns in the mail system? Pickup/delivery, postmark/process, moving among postal centers? Do we really need 31K post offices (which happens to be 1 per 100 sqmi)? Do we need 1 postal employee for every 250 addresses?

I don't know - but look forward to catching up on the discussion
Is this thread about "fixing" the USPS? I didn't think it was, but I might be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies