Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 11:13 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They have been prohibited working overtime. Therefore don't be surprised to hear of reports that letters and especially packages pile up to levels not seen since Christmas time and the UPS strike.
Only the prohibitions are a goal, my folks are still being mandated 12 hour days no matter what the PMG put out. It is the COVID quarantines added to CARES Act child care users and prime vacation season which is causing the backlog.

That the service long ago cut out all slack and depends upon overtime for normal operations left them in a bind when a real crises hit. Having Congress mandate a postal worker stay for 12 hours is not going to fix that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 11:15 AM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
Oh and I never said I believed in the constitution or anything else.
How can you call yourself "patriotic" with comments like that.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:53 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
There is nothing in the US Constitution that requires federal post offices. The US Constitution reads as follows as regards post offices.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

--- snip ---

"To establish Post Offices and post Roads;"

So, the US Constitution grants Congress power to establish Post Offices. Nowhere in the US Constitution does it REQUIRE post offices. The authority to do is not the necessity to do. In this modern era, if the private sector can do a better job delivering mail and packages than the government, with higher quality at lower cost, then there is no reason that role could not be privatized.

At this point, we would be better off privatizing the role the US Post Office used to solely have. Fed Ex, United Parcel Service, and companies like Amazon have proven to be more efficient shipping packages. There is almost no "mail" anymore. I get 20 times the junk mail, handouts, flyers, and ads that I get in bills. Outside of Christmas cards, I haven't received a piece of snail mail such as a letter or postcard in over 15 years. So much is done on line anymore, there is no need for letters and a diminishing need for paper bills and paper payment.

The private sector could easily usurp the role delivering junk mail and the miniscule private mail still being sent, like birthday cards and Christmas cards and wedding invitations.

The US Post Office has become obsolete. The US Constitution authorizes Congress to establish Post Offices, it does not REQUIRE them.
If the Post Office goes, it will cost you $24 to mail a letter with the competition.

Please explain what enhanced service we should expect from this.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Please provide a link to where Trump opposes absentee voting via. requested mailed ballots for Democrats or else admit you are wrong.

Thank you.

I don't expect a reply from you to be honest.

Meanwhile, here are Trump's own words from the linked tweet.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

....Absentee Ballots are fine because you have to go through a precise process to get your voting privilege. Not so with Mail-Ins. Rigged Election!!! 20% fraudulent ballots?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...188352?lang=en
Please explain the difference between "mail-in" and "absentee" ballots.

I'm willing to bet you can't.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yep.

Seems that person, and others like her, would rather the postal workers have a higher risk of catching the virus by working those longer hours, just so that they can hide in their houses instead of masking up and going to the polls. I thought masks worked?
Masks only keep you safe if other people are wearing them. We've had that discussion here a few hundred times. It's the abject idiots and selfish pricks who don't wear them that is the problem.

If we had a law in place requiring a $500 fine for entering a polling place without a mask or removing it while inside, and it was strictly enforced, it would be a different story.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:11 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Masks only keep you safe if other people are wearing them. We've had that discussion here a few hundred times. It's the abject idiots and selfish pricks who don't wear them that is the problem.

If we had a law in place requiring a $500 fine for entering a polling place without a mask or removing it while inside, and it was strictly enforced, it would be a different story.
How do you get 'going maskless' out of "masking up and going to the polls"? save the whiny unwarranted "We've had that discussion ...." snark for your next foaming at the mouth rant.

I would be more than fine with that law.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:20 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
How do you get 'going maskless' out of "masking up and going to the polls"? save the whiny unwarranted "We've had that discussion ...." snark for your next foaming at the mouth rant.

If such a law existed it would have to specify something about covering nose and mouth. People think they are so clever by having a mask hanging on their chin, like some cloth beard.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:

You said you "...thought masks worked." I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were talking about.

You're welcome.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Pretty massive OP failure to opine at length about "These are his real words!! This is what he really said!!" and then completely failing to post the words that he supposedly said.

If Trump said some egregious terrible thing, then post the full unedited video of it.

I can jump to some pretty silly conclusions because the following video makes is seem like Obama said some really weird things. It's easy to spin, clip, take of context and then lie. The honest thing to do is just post the full unedited conversation and point out the part that you're taking exception to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=ehYoIKTsiV0

Old 08-14-2020, 04:28 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,661,296 times
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...mail-in-voting

Quote:
“President Trump said Thursday that he does not want to fund the U.S. Postal Service because Democrats are seeking to expand mail-in voting during the coronavirus pandemic, making explicit the reason he has declined to approve $25 billion in emergency funding for the cash-strapped agency. ‘Now, they need that money in order to make the post office work, so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots,’ Trump said in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo. He added: ‘Now, if we don’t make a deal, that means they don’t get the money. That means they can’t have universal mail-in voting, they just can’t have it.’ Trump has railed against mail-in balloting for months, and at a White House briefing Wednesday, he [said] that USPS’s enlarged role in the November election would perpetuate ‘one of the greatest frauds in history.’”
What a crook. He needs to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies