Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
What does push independents over to the republican side though, is the insane reaction of the dems.

Once the lunatic side of the dems gets riled up, the more the election tilts to Trump.
No -- you are wrong.

That is what you feel.

Someone who is pro-choice is not going to vote for a more conservative govt. because they don't like how some idiots burn a building in protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 10:57 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
They would have gone on record as voting against a perfectly qualified nominee.

There was a time when judges and Supreme Court justices were approved based on their qualifications. I wish it were still that way. As long as a nominee has the right education and experience, and is not subject to any criminal or corruption charges, I think they should be approved, regardless of their political leanings. That went out of fashion starting with Robert Bork, and its been a sheet-show ever since.
folks should go look at the history of SC nominee votes. It was basically a rubber-stamp until Bork (Rehnquist only got ~66% for some reason). Still, Sotomayor and Kagan got > 60%. Gorsuch barely made it at 54 votes yet he has thus far been a model of anti-partisan rulings.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ee/5863947002/

It's officially a wrap as far as I'm concerned. Watch the left return to their days of hurling insults at Mittens
No surprise here. Romney is easily persuaded to do wrong.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:15 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
First, I said in the last few decades and you omitted that from your quote. Your linked chart does not provide D vs R votes, only those that voted yea or nay. So it is hard to say how much D support there was without further investigation.

When I say Lock Step I mean all but a few Dems voted no. Those voting yes were usually Dems in a state that may lean a little right and were facing re-election. Manchin, D WV comes to mind as an example.
in his link, it's got hyperlinks for the votes.

Alito got 4 Dem Yea's: Robert Byrd; ND, SD, and NE senators
Roberts split Dems 22-22.

Senator Obama voted Nay on both.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Mr. RINO, globalist influenced and funded Mitt? Go figure....

Old 09-22-2020, 11:25 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No -- you are wrong.

That is what you feel.

Someone who is pro-choice is not going to vote for a more conservative govt. because they don't like how some idiots burn a building in protest.
It depends. Idiots burning and looting is one thing. Democratic leaders not doing anything about it is quite another.

I’m a pro-life independent who has voted Democratic before. However, after all I’ve seen I’ll never do that again. It’s not the rioters, it’s the response of the Democratic leadership.

That’s just me.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Well, I'm just telling you about the consequences of it, feel free to ignore the warning just like you guys did when Republicans told you what would happen if the filibuster was ditched to confirm judges.

Any move to stack the court will not end well for Democrats....but if that's the game they want to play, their terms are acceptable as the meme goes.

It would be a call for civil war and the start of helicopter rides.

If Democrats are sane, and that's no guarantee, they just take the L and work towards leading within the confines of the Constitution if they happen to take power. The other options will end in a LOT of bloodshed and the destruction of the entire system.
If the voting public didn’t mind political parties to stack the court for political reasons then why haven’t the GOP done it? The reason is any voter besides the hard left would be disgusted with such a tactic. The support for that party would dwindle in droves. That is why no current official is going on record for supporting it. Just talking heads on CNN and MSNBC oh and the looney radical left.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:46 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
When will the cry baby Democrats start some more fires, as they promised there was Heck to pay for nominating the SCOTUS.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:18 PM

17,431 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No -- you are wrong.

That is what you feel.

Nope. That's how YOU feel.

First, most rational people know that Roe v Wade isn't getting overturned any time soon - no matter who's on the SCOTUS. And even on the slim chance it does, it doesn't necessarily mean that abortion is banned.

Second, there are pro choice Republicans ... you do know that right?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:19 PM

17,431 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
When will the cry baby Democrats start some more fires, as they promised there was Heck to pay for nominating the SCOTUS.
Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies