Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 11:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,913,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Another republican conspiracy-theorist goes off the rails.
I am not aware of anything that connects this to a political party.

Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not much about this makes sense to me. The only thing that possibly does is that they were trying to gauge police reaction time, but if so, why have the warning? If something similar to this were to happen again, the police would seee it frm a mile away. If the goal was to see if they could knock out 911 so that in a similar attack in the future, they could coordinate another attack or whatnot at the same time, again, authorities would see it coming, would they not? Disgruntled former emplyee of AT&T? This seems like overkill to m.

Oh, well. I trust law enforcement and the FBI to cover all bases.
As of now there does not appear to be a “ they”.

There are indications this was a suicide mission. Media reported, his mother has been swabbed for DNA.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 AM

15,573 posts, read 10,586,171 times
The RV played Petula Clark's 'Downtown' just before explosion, listen to the lyrics. It sounds to me like he just wanted to end his life downtown.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Just like some of us questioned, they are saying it was suicide. It sounds like he may have been miserable after his brother died. His neighbor said he was very kind to his pets, even building ramps for the older one. It's more than clear that he didn't want to hurt anybody. So why downtown? He built events such as haunted houses and so on. Did he built anything for the surrounding businesses? Maybe he wasn't after AT&T after all. He planned a nice little exit, perhaps his last venue (in his mind). It's all rather sad, but perhaps not as dubious as first thought. Guess we shall see, maybe.
Some seem to create a memorable spectacle as they execute their plan to kill themselves. Unlike a mass shooter, it appears this guy had no intent on taking others with him.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:27 AM

15,772 posts, read 9,606,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As of now there does not appear to be a “ they”.

There are indications this was a suicide mission. Media reported, his mother has been swabbed for DNA.
That would probably make more sense in a way. The truth is we try to make sense of what is a senseless event, like the Las Vegas shooting. We need the why, but very often that goes to the grave with, in this case, the bomber. Short of a note, we may never know why he did it

Old 12-27-2020, 11:53 AM

9,950 posts, read 7,328,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Then... there's that Taylor Swift connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
Tom Cruise may know something.
Or John Oliver.

Follow me now - John Oliver, a know leftist, foreigner, and New Yorker makes fun of many right leaning people and organizations. He works for HBO which is owned by Time Warner which is owned by - wait for it - bombshell - AT&T. John Oliver's final show of 2020 went out with a bang - a literal bang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDk_R__Relw

Still with me here? Now John Oliver constantly makes fun of AT&T - his business Daddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T87urVUlD-E

Now here's the big cherry on top. Trump claims he turned down an invitation to be interviewed on Last Week Tonight which John Oliver claims is impossible as they don't do interviews. So this guy decides to blow himself up near an AT&T building as a way to get back at AT&T and John Oliver for his claim.

Phew - these conspiracy theories are tough to make sense of.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:45 PM

29,545 posts, read 22,872,402 times
As per usual, yours truly was on the right path, but these things don't require a Phd in forensic or psychiatric science to figure out.

Whether a 'lone wolf' mass shooter or a bomber like this, the ultimate motivation is a sense of alienation or paranoia/anger at any perceived slights, and a need to strike back at a society that has 'wronged' or brushed them aside in some way. More so in this social media/internet obsessed culture of ours where everyday we are bombarded with images of 'happy' couples and families gushing about how wonderful their relationships are, the expensive trips they go on, blah blah.

The guy was in his 60's, never married, no kids, the very definition of a 'loser' in our society. Even more so when supposedly the shooter basically signed away two properties for free to a young single mother.

It's also very predictable that people on all sides of the political spectrum are oh-so eager for any evidence to come out that he was highly and fanatically politically motivated different from their own political ideologies.

Bottom line, the ultimate motivation was someone that wanted to go out in a blaze of memorable glory so that society will remember him and give him the attention he never received in life. He did have some measure of 'goodness' in that he played that warning announcement that a bomb was about to go off. Many bombers never do that to maximize casualties.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:12 PM

45,837 posts, read 27,476,737 times
Another angle... something comes from out of the sky right before the explosion. You see it in the first second or two.

OK - y'all can continue talking about the RV now.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,962,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Another angle... something comes from out of the sky right before the explosion. You see it in the first second or two.

OK - y'all can continue talking about the RV now.
I saw this clip last night. The thin stream of smoke seems to be present when the film starts, and nothing can be seen descending from the sky to presumably cause it. My guess is that it is smoke from the smoldering bomb, just prior to the massive explosion.

I'd like to see the film taken just prior to this clip, to see if anything can be spotted coming down, and just when the thin smoke stream starts to rise. It's already there in this film clip, and its origin is unclear. There were police officers on the scene, and no one has yet publicly reported seeing anything like a missile.

Many questions remain, of course, and I wouldn't rule this out entirely - but it's more like horses vis. zebras, when hearing hoofbeats.

If it were caused by some sort of an airborne missile, you would expect a large crater at the point of impact, or perhaps a blown-down building or buildings. So far, though damage is quite significant, only one storefront (out of approximately 40) seems to have collapsed. Most of the buildings were 19th century and construction methods no doubt played a part in their ability to withstand the bomb. Most have blown out windows, damage to surface trim, but appear to be sound otherwise. We'll know more once they can be properly inspected, of course.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:12 PM

30,454 posts, read 23,912,738 times
Pharmaceutical company in Taiwan, second largest maker of Hydroxychoroquine, gets blown up last week.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other...ne/ar-BB1cbmoz

Nashville has this explosion.

NYC has a bomb threat. They say no explosives were found.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/27/nypd-p...tate-building/

And currently, in TN, they have stopped a "suspicious" delivery truck that was playing the same warning as the Nashville RV.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-evacuate.html

After this year - never thought I'd see so many bow down and accept tyranny - and fraud - and corruption - I'm just going to go ahead and say this is also strange.

Sometimes all the "little things" add up to big things. Sometimes they don't - but this is not the year of "coincidences" at. all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies