Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 01:07 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
She had her chance.

Stay home.

She had her chance.

Not storm the building.

She had her chance.

Not break into the building.

She had her chance.

Not break through the barricade with guys with guns pointed at it.

She had many chances. She ****ed up.
Fair enough. The CP with the House members considered protestors at the barricade who were then banging against the door and breaking glass serious enough to have the members crouch behind chairs and lay down on the floor. (The two events sure appear to be contemporaneous - or at least interviewed House member(s) thought so.) The primary goal at that moment was not to play catch with Ashli.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:21 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Who here would hesitate to shoot someone breaking into their home or business in a sudden violent manner?

If a huge violent mob was trying to batter down your front doors, what would you do?

I don't feel sorry for the woman. She didn't need to be at the front of the action.

That was her choice, and as a veteran, she would have known any guns on the other side of the doors would not be unloaded when it came out and was trained on her.

She allowed her political passions to overwhelm her good common sense and wisdom. If she had better emotional control, she could be happily arguing politics this morning, enjoying a nice winter day back home in Colorado, instead of lying in a morgue in D.C.

Her bad, her mistake.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:26 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
jojajn;]Anyone who believes the police did not respond appropriately when our leaders' lives were threatened by an out of control mob, some of whom had guns, pipe bombs, and Molotov cocktails, are you:
Quote:
-against guns?
Not for the law abiding

Quote:
-against defending your castle?
Absolutely not

Quote:
-against self defense?
Not in the least

Quote:
-against backing the blue?
Not against the one's who do their jobs within the boundaries of the law

Quote:
Which is it?
I would have never guessed we had this much in common. It's refreshing.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:32 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
There's new video just released that showed exactly what happened before the shooting. It should (for some) paint a different or full picture.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...video-capitol/

Uniformed CP had been defending the door while some, including a ranking House member, were being evacuated through the Speakers Lobby. Once the lobby was a clear the officers who were being verbally threatened with punches to the glass smashing right by their heads moved to the side. The protestors then started seemingly as a group to break their way through the door, smashing glass and the frame.

The gray-haired plainclothes CP with his gun drawn and clearly visible popped out. The protestors saw the gun. Loudly yelled: He has a gun. It was being pointed directly at the new opening. That Ashli at that point popped through. He shot.

There is no way that officer could be criticized. This was a mob seemingly frustrated they hadn't been able to reach the Congressman (and others) who'd just been dangled like a prize right in front of them. The frontline police having done their duty had now moved to the side. Just as the tactical police arrived. Only to call for medical support.

There was no way to save Ashli from herself because this video shows the entire group was about to charge through.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-08-2021 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 01:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

But that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm asking you, as a man, would you have shot her? Was there really no non-lethal alternatives when there are probably 10+ police officers standing within 15 feet, and there were several cops who had literally been standing right next to her for who knows how long, and were practically in arms-reach of her when she was shot.

You can justify it all you want, you can call her stupid, a criminal, a traitor, whatever you like, but it was wrong.

Who cares if she is a woman or not? She's a USAF veteran who did TOD in the Middle East, she's not some little shrinking violet, the delicate female flower. If you watch the videos I posted, she definitely isn't the "little woman" type. She's the type who will throw a stink when a man holds the door open for her because "I can open my own damn doors!"

What women like her need to understand is that, when you are choosing to act as aggressively as she did, you need to be prepared to accept and take full on any blow back that results from your actions. You don't get to yell "IT"S ON!!!!!" and curl up and go "please don't hurt me" in the same breath.

I'm a woman and I say she got exactly what she deserved.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This was not an insurrection.

Really.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insurrection
Quote:

- An act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/insurrection

Quote:
- An act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...h/insurrection

Quote:
- An organized attempt by a group of people to defeat their government and take control of their country, usually by violence.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:06 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The don't call it The Chair Force for nothing!!
At first I thought the same since I am a Chair Force veteran, but she was Security Forces - and did go to Afghanistan.

We do have some tactical units that see combat. Even we were targeted with missiles in Kuwait at the start of the war.

We had a group convoy up to Iraq and they were attacked. Several killed.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Doesn’t matter. She would’ve had basic knowledge of firearms and she would’ve know that men trained to point them at you are also trained to shoot you with them.
And especially since she was security forces - MP is what I guess they call them in the Army?

She was qualified on M-9, M-16 and probably even M-60.

I wasn't security forces but qualified on the first two and taught to use the other. We had to qualify every year in the olden days. Now they don't which i think is weird.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
There's new video just released that showed exactly what happened before the shooting. It should (for some) paint a different or full picture.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...video-capitol/

Uniformed CP had been defending the door while some, including a ranking House member, were being evacuated through the Speakers Lobby. Once the lobby was a clear the officers who were being verbally threatened with punches to the glass smashing right by their heads moved to the side. The protestors then started seemingly as a group to break their way through the door, smashing glass and the frame.

The gray-haired plainclothes CP with his gun drawn and clearly visible popped out. The protestors saw the gun. Loudly yelled: He has a gun. It was being pointed directly at the new opening. That Ashli at that point popped through. He shot.

There is no way that officer could be criticized. This was a mob seemingly frustrated they hadn't been able to reach the Congressman (and others) who'd just been dangled like a prize right in front of them. The frontline police having done their duty had now moved to the side. Just as the tactical police arrived. Only to call for medical support.

There was no way to save Ashli from herself because this video shows the entire group was about to charge through.
All I need to do is read your headline to see it is bs.

There were at least a half dozen armed officers with shields leading people out and 3 or 4 protestors banging on the door.

The shooter could easily have killed police officers on the other side of the door.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
And I'm sure the police outside the building had warned the protesters to stay back as well. There were people ramming the door as the police stood right next to them and watched them doing it. The cops had been literally standing in front of the doorway the girl climbed into. The cop who shot her was hiding in a cubby like he was under fire in Vietnam, even though there were like 6-8 cops standing on the other side of the door that he knew were there because he had just talked to them a few seconds earlier.

You said "The cops shouted for everyone to back off/retreat. Everyone did but her."... Which is bull****. No one was backing off. But she was the only one who climbed up into the doorway, which was the doorway the police had been standing in front of 5 seconds earlier.

Furthermore, being told to back off isn't the same thing as being warned if you jump up into a doorway you will be shot immediately. Furthermore, most of the people in this thread have claimed that the cop didn't know there were cops on the other side in the doorway, which was a lie. And that he was afraid for his life. Which is a lie. Or something something about the girl's backpack. Which is bull****.

In any case, you guys don't care, so this conversation is pointless.
Well, next time that woman will know better, won't she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies