Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 08:54 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Mark Cuban contributes a hell of a lot more to the well-being of this nation than you ever could (the Fallen Patriot Fund alone should make you SТFU). But, sure, if refusing to participate in a largely meaningless display of nationalistic pride means he hates the country, then he definitely hates the country.

Also, nice little anti-Semitic dig there at the end. Covering all the bases.
I've been clear, I am not a huge fan of the anthem before EVERY game - mostly because I am a purist of sports: the anthem was NOT played before every game in America and it was never a rule or a law that it had to be. And I am a conservative, like my dad, who was in the military and also thought the anthem before every game was too much. We think anthems before big games, championship gmaes and the like, the anthem should be played.

So, in theory I don't have a massive problem with Cuban. Where I do have a problem with him is his motives aren't at all pure. The way I heard it reported (on a national talk radio show) is that he was getting ahead of the ball...he knew his league is filled with America-hating players, like we see in Houston. He doesn't care one way or the other about the anthem - whether it's played, or whether it is not played. What he cares about is attracting all the anti-American players. He just wants to appear WOKE.

Regarding whether he loves America, he's made enough comments regarding his love of China that it doesn't really matter to me if he plays the part that he's some gung-ho American champ. He supports a vile, genocidal government that currently has their own citizens in concentration camps, and a regime that supports slave/sweatshop labor. So...Cuban has completely lost me no matter what act he puts on regarding America.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:05 AM

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I work in a school, and haven't recited the pledge at school since i was in the 7th grade. I try to time myself so that I am not in a classroom when the pledge is being said in the morning. If I have to be in a classroom, I just stand in the back, where none of the kids can see me. Even in committees that I sit on, when the pledge is being said, I don't recite it. It just all seems so silly. In ten years, only once has someone seen me and approached me about it. The other person came up and said, "I noticed you didn't say the pledge. Is there any reason why?" I just replied, "I just don't," and walked away.

To be fair, I think there are places where the pledge (and the anthem) SHOULD be recited. I would be offended if they weren't, such as in citizenship ceremonies, or international sporting events like the Olympics. But pledging allegiance every morning in kindergarten when the kids can't even spell their own names yet? Or the national anthem before EVERY major sporting event in the country? I just think it's silly.
I still think it's funny that the first time I encountered the concept of a patriotic pledge recited by schoolkids was in documentary on Soviet schools. Of course, I subscribe to the old idea hat a pledge is odious if forced and redundant if voluntary, but that's just me.

Also, it cheapens the solemnity of the action. We Danes certainly sing the national anthem before international matches, and we sing it with gusto. It has meaning, then. But it would just be weird in other places.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:09 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,282,211 times
Nothing says "political indoctrination" more than the forced reciting of the Pledge and forced playing of the Anthem at oddball events where there is supposed to be no politics involved.

We Americans are soooooo insecure.

I wonder if Cuban will take a page from the passive-aggressive mask wearing playbook, and play the anthem at 10% volume without introduction by the PA announcer, in the shortest pre-recorded version possible?

Old 02-16-2021, 09:40 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
I think we should play the Anthem at movie theaters next. Hell, Thailand does it (so I'm told), so why not, amirite?

Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
he knew his league is filled with America-hating players, like we see in Houston.
"Trump-hating" = "America-hating". Got it.
Quote:
He doesn't care one way or the other about the anthem - whether it's played, or whether it is not played. What he cares about is attracting all the anti-American players. He just wants to appear WOKE.
I'm sure you know what is in his head much better than he does.

Also, how's his recruiting process going? Are Harden and Westbrook wearing the Mavs sickle and hammer?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:02 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
"Trump-hating" = "America-hating". Got it.I'm sure you know what is in his head much better than he does.

Also, how's his recruiting process going? Are Harden and Westbrook wearing the Mavs sickle and hammer?
He's literally the most famous, out-there pro-sports franchise owner on the face of the planet. It's quite easy to see his stance on things and how he bobs and weaves. He's a Leftist; all Leftists hate America. I could give you a thousand examples in the last year alone of their hate for this nation.

He tried to recruit all the wingnuts to his franchise. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. There is still time as long as he looks "woke" to all the pieces of **** in the NBA, he's done his job.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Nothing says "political indoctrination" more than the forced reciting of the Pledge and forced playing of the Anthem at oddball events where there is supposed to be no politics involved.

We Americans are soooooo insecure.

I wonder if Cuban will take a page from the passive-aggressive mask wearing playbook, and play the anthem at 10% volume without introduction by the PA announcer, in the shortest pre-recorded version possible?
Dude, if you care about your country you're supposed to be 'indoctrinated', why wouldn't you want to be?

It's called the UNITED States, we should be United, instead all you want to do is sh*t on the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies