Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:57 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,077,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
No, Colin Kapernick made it a polarizing event.
He took a knee in a peaceful protest. Would you rather have him riot instead. Trump made it political

Old 02-11-2021, 05:42 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times
I solved this problem for myself when all the players started taking a knee after George Floyd. I simply decided that they were absolutely correct to voice their concerns as a form of protest, and so now, whenever a professional sport is being broadcast, I Take a Knee and change the channel. Was there a Super Bowl this year? Beats me, I was busy taking a knee all season, including this past Sunday.

Now, I still do watch the UFC or other MMA, but the minute those athletes start taking a knee, the same will happen with them as well. When I get into my retirement home, maybe I'll go to some of the local high school games to support the kids. Until of course, they turn "Woke". I sure hope I don't get bursitis.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:48 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
He took a knee in a peaceful protest. Would you rather have him riot instead. Trump made it political
No, I would rather he and others did it on their own time. I dont watch sports to be indoctrinated by over paid prima donnas . Especially one that is a has been.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:27 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If they ignored him it would not have received the attention just like Mark Cubans actions, no one knew this has been going on for two months but now it's national issue. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:59 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
This might surprise some here, but I think the anthem is played way too much before games.

It was never like that...I believe prior to WWII. Some team just decided to play because we were in war, and then it sort of de facto became the rule, that you had to play the anthem before every game. It was not always like that.

My father was in the military - he was VERY conservative (like me), and I would say pretty patriotic. With that said, he believed the anthem was played too much - that the whole "patriotism" thing was just too much. Before the Superbowl, or Cup Finals or whatever big game? Sure, I have no problem with it. But it is just too much, in my opinion.

Now, what I really want to comment on are these things:

Cuban isn't doing this for pure motives; he is doing it to pander to the NBA players.

The NBA players, from what I have heard, don't want the anthem to be played before games.

Here's what I want to say:

The NBA players are just horrible people: arrogant, trashy, overpaid, ANTI-AMERICAN. The country would be 100000000000000000000000000000000000 better if they were not in this country. They are just reprehensible. They hate this nation.

Which begs the question: why do these guys want so badly to put on the "USA" to play for this nation's basketball team? I guess they want to "build their brand" (they don't do it because they love this nation in any way), but personally I think they should all go to Hell. None of them should play for this nation.

Why don't they do like Jewish-American players do, and represent countries in Africa in the Olympics? Jewish-American baseball players played for Israel in the World Series of baseball. Why don't black Americans play for African nations? I think they are the absolutely worst humans in this nation, the majority of the NBA are.

Another thing I heard on the radio last night was that within 2-3 years, no NBA teams will be playing the anthem before games anymore.

Do I think that will hurt their support? I do, I think a lot of people will turn it off. But NBA players don't care. They hate this nation, America, and they want to inflict as much damage on it as they possibly can.

If all the leagues came together and spelled it out, that the anthem was neverp layed before games, and said it would only be done in the playoffs or championship games, they might not cause as much ruckus.

About Mark Cuban, the guys probably has a higher IQ than 90% of the NBA combined. LeBron James? His IQ is probably bordering on retarded, I suspect, like most NBA players. So Cuban has ulterior motives in this whole thing.

Ultimately the NBA is a pathetic league, filled with pathetic pieces of trash. I think we should all let them dig their own grave.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:20 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This might surprise some here, but I think the anthem is played way too much before games.

It was never like that...I believe prior to WWII. Some team just decided to play because we were in war, and then it sort of de facto became the rule, that you had to play the anthem before every game. It was not always like that.
How hard is it to stand and take a moment to reflect on the country for a minute? Most people aren't even in their seats at the start. What is so objectionable

Old 02-12-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
How hard is it to stand and take a moment to reflect on the country for a minute? Most people aren't even in their seats at the start. What is so objectionable
I just think the anthem is played too much. I think it loses some of its meaning when played so much.

This article kind of goes into how it sort of de facto became law of the land that the anthem was played:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ck/6702871002/

It was never the rule that the anthem had to be played before every game of any sort.

I can tell you don't agree with my position, and that's fine.

Where I think you would agree with me is that public schools kids should be forced to recite the pledge of allegiance before school every day. I also might not be against mandatory military service in this nation as well.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,483 times
The ONLY way to show the appropriate love and respect for America is:

To cover every wall in your home with American flags
To recite the Pledge of Allegiance, first thing in the morning, before every meal, and after using the toilet
Play the national anthem at the top of every hour, HAND over HEART

If you do anything less you are a filthy communist who hates America and everything it stands for and should be hung in the public square and also get the hell out of this country but not before we execute you.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:25 AM

The problem with Cuban (like the majority of the NBA) is he HATES America.

He loves communist China, though. As do much of the communist NBA players.

So...he is the last person who should be arguing for less patriotism.

I honestly thought Adam Silver smartened up after he saw the rating crater after last year.

Will be really interesting to see how the ratings play out in 2-3 years if in fact the league does stop plaing the anthing.

I personally don't, nor will i, ever go out of my way to watch a Wolves (NBA) game ever again I don't think.

You know it would be interesting to see how the 1992 "Dream Team" feels about how Woke the NBA has gone. That team, I think, could be said that they were proud of America and to wear the USA jersey.

All the teams after that one? Not so much. They should all play for Liberia, or Congo, or Nigeria as then maybe they would play with pride.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Totally agree with you. I don't understand why in a stadium of 100K people when the anthem is played everything doesn't stop. But it doesn't.......people don't stop, place their hands on their heart, take their hats. They finish up in the bathroom, they are swigging a beer, having a smoke.

Nobody seems to think any of that is disrespectful.

But not playing the anthem before a game is somehow unpatriotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies