Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Is there any sort of "schedule" for the Chauvin trial? Might it last a few weeks? A few months? Before the lawyers' arguments are finished and it goes to the jury?
According to an ongoing article in the NYT:
Quote:
Witness testimony and lawyers’ presentations of evidence should last several weeks before the jury begins to deliberate over the verdict.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/de...rial-explained

Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Is there any sort of "schedule" for the Chauvin trial? Might it last a few weeks? A few months? Before the lawyers' arguments are finished and it goes to the jury?
The court calander has allotted 4 weeks to this case. This includes the sessions where judge and each legal team can argue separately on certain rulings, evidence and clarification . Outside the jurors presence.

According to his honor judge Cahill, they are ahead of schedule.

Since I am not versed in court room protocal in so much as how long the jurors then have after final juror instructions for ruling is, til a verdict needs rendered. I assume the 4 weeks is for the hearing presentations itself.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:12 PM

728 posts, read 303,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I hope to hell justice isn't in the eye of the beholder, but is in the eye of the rule of law. Of course, I know there are those who refuse to accept that.

The rule of law? So, how come you are for open borders instead of supporting the Wall to keep illegals out?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:20 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
The rule of law? So, how come you are for open borders instead of supporting the Wall to keep illegals out?
Please show me the the posts where I've said I'm for open borders? I've always been for immigration reform.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:52 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
You are very methodical in your analysis but we are not in a classroom dealing with arithmetic where 1 is expected to be 1 and 2 is expected to be 2. Even in real time, in the real world you and I can fight better in our minds from the ringside than Muhamad Ali in the ring.

You know that you will never end up with a cop's knee on your neck in the street. Why? You know you will never pass off a fake twenty dollar bill anywhere. Why? The world out there is a sad place for both George Floyd and cops. It is set up for guys like Floyd to end up dead and for cops like Chauvin getting hung up to dry. The right way to end this is to give our cops like Chauvin some slack and pay some compensation to Floyd's family. Not $27 million.
I'm fairly certain that Tony Timpa's family didn't get $27 million and that none of the police who knelt on him till he was dead ever had anything bad happen to them. In fact, I know for a fact that this is true:

Quote:
Timpa died within 20 minutes of police officers' arrival, of "cocaine and the stress associated with physical restraint", according to his autopsy. It took over three years for footage of the incident to be released. The footage contradicted claims by Dallas Police that Timpa was aggressive. The officers involved were Sgt. Kevin Mansell and Officers Danny Vasquez and Dustin Dillard. Criminal charges against three officers were dropped in March 2019 and they returned to active duty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas..._of_Tony_Timpa

Disgustingly, white lives matter so much less than black lives, Timpa hasn't even been dignified with his own Wikipedia article.

If the officers that killed Timpa got away with zero consequences, then I suppose Chauvin should suffer zero consequences as well. But I think that the police involved in both incidents should at least be fired.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:00 PM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
First statement says you think he wasn't murder but then turn around and say 3rd degree murder. I agree that gross negligence on the part of officer Chauvin. If that is the case, he would actually be guilty of 2nd degree Manslaughter and not guilty of the two other charges of 2nd and 3rd degree murder.
Second-degree murder is generally described as the unpremeditated intentional killing of another. Chauvin didn't intentional kill Floyd. Can't see a jury agreeing to a 2nd degree murder charge.

Third-degree murder would require a lower standard of proof than second-degree. To win a conviction, prosecutors would have to show only that Floyd’s death was caused by an act that was obviously dangerous, though not necessarily a felony. That would result in a maximum sentence of 25 years. However, Chauvin has no criminal history, which means he will probably end up serving about 12 1/2 years.

It's clear from the video that Chauvin didn't intentionally kill Floyd. Floyd was a big man, his behavior erratic, he refused to get inside the squad car and a crowd had started to form. Nevertheless, Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground.

My guess is the jury will find Chauvin guilty of gross negligence. Chauvin will get 25 years. Then we will watch as riots/looting start to explode. Law enforcement will be told to stand down which will result in even more massive property damage.

What will be interesting is the number of store owners who decide this time around to defend their property and shoot looters. They saw last summer what happens when the police pull back and crowds run amok.

Last edited by john3232; 04-02-2021 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-02-2021, 05:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Second-degree murder is generally described as the unpremeditated intentional killing of another. Chauvin didn't intentional kill Floyd. Can't see a jury agreeing to a 2nd degree murder charge.

Third-degree murder would require a lower standard of proof than second-degree. To win a conviction, prosecutors would have to show only that Floyd’s death was caused by an act that was obviously dangerous, though not necessarily a felony. That would result in a maximum sentence of 25 years. However, Chauvin has no criminal history, which means he will probably end up serving about 12 1/2 years.

It's clear from the video that Chauvin didn't intentionally kill Floyd. Floyd was a big man, his behavior erratic, he refused to get inside the squad car and a crowd had started to form. Nevertheless, Floyd was handcuffed and on the ground.

My guess is the jury will find Chauvin guilty of gross negligence. Chauvin will get 25 years. Then we will watch as riots/looting starts to explode. Law enforcement will be told to stand down which will result in even more massive property damage. How long will this go on for? At least a couple of weeks.

How can Chauvin have no clue what he was doing to Floyd? His fellow officers as much as told Chauvin a pulse could not be felt on Floyd and suggested they turn Floyd to the recovery position.

Pedestrians could see Floyd was most likely without a pulse. Chauvin had to have felt a loss of Floyd's muscle tone at the time Floyd died.

Either Chauvin knew and didn't care or Chauvin is dumber than the law allows.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:15 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How can Chauvin have no clue what he was doing to Floyd? His fellow officers as much as told Chauvin a pulse could not be felt on Floyd and suggested they turn Floyd to the recovery position.

Pedestrians could see Floyd was most likely without a pulse. Chauvin had to have felt a loss of Floyd's muscle tone at the time Floyd died.

He knew. He couldn't be that dumb. Trying to be the tough guy.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:33 PM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I think it's fair to suggest with a crowd forming Chauvin might not have been paying close attention to Floyd.

His fellow officers as much as told Chauvin a pulse could not be felt on Floyd and suggested they turn Floyd to the recovery position.

Chauvin responded, "No, staying put where we got him." Again Floyd was a big man who hadn't been obey officers attempt to put him in a squad car. Chauvin has 19 years on the force. He was doing what he felt was warranted which doesn't excuses his actions.

However, Floyd's death clearly wasn't intentional.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:36 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Ok, you get to vote guilty. All we need is just one of us to say not guilty and Chauvin goes free.

Will you abide by the rule?
A hung jury will lead to a retrial of the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies