Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 05:41 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times

Advertisements

alright, no time to read all 11 page right now - but the first few moments of the paper in the OP give me great pause:

1. There is already PLENTY of data showing the asymptomatic people do indeed transmit the disease - at a very low level. The problem is not asymptomatic people. It's PRE-symptomatic people. Not the same thing. Plenty of data on that too - at the CDC. People who will have symptoms tomorrow, but not today. How do you suppose they chose those people for this report (in the OP)? Psychic?

2. The report said they still detected virus-y particles even with a mask. Yes. Everyone knows that. I hope none of my tax dollars were spent to learn that. You're not using a mask to stop every flipping particle. Nope. You're using it to limit the distance your sneezy huge droplets fly. Like covering your mouth when you cough. That's it. It reduces the immediate range of folks you will (maybe) infect. It's not magic. It's just a reduction in wind power, and a filter for larger droplets.

Again - this is (very) old news. If anyone did not already know these things - look in the mirror.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:23 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
This is nothing new to anyone who has actually followed the science all along. Masks are nothing but theater making people feel safe. Everyone take off your bacteria trap and refuse to wear them. There is more evidence mask wearing is harming those people more than it helped with anything.

This study is even on the CDC and NIH's website. Why are those idiots not telling people this? Oh cause they would have to admit they have been wrong the entire time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/
This person who wrote this poorly written oped is:

Baruch Vainshelboim who is at best a sports physiologist and anti vaxxer. Not sure of his credentials but someone with his odd name is the above. Has some connection to Stanford. This was posted in November.

If this is the most qualified person you can find to say facemasks do not work. Well that is much more telling than anything this dude says. Go to a hospital. Look at all the doctors wearing masks. The do work. But with vaccinated people they should not be necessary.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:42 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Like it or not, doctors are still wearing masks in clinics and require walk-ins to wear therm. Before covid, they never did that.
Who knows, one of these days people like paracord will be able to verbalize why they think people with 40-year careers in epidemiology would engage in skullduggery for the purpose of getting him to wear a mask.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:46 AM

17,638 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Who knows, one of these days people like paracord will be able to verbalize why they think people with 40-year careers in epidemiology would engage in skullduggery for the purpose of getting him to wear a mask.
Because they are morons who don't understand the concept of an acceptable risk, much like the people who drive around in their cars alone wearing cloth masks.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:53 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Because they are morons who don't understand the concept of an acceptable risk, much like the people who drive around in their cars alone wearing cloth masks.

I drive while wearing a mask when I am alone because it minimizes handling the mask. Put in on, do all my errands, then take it off and sanitize my hands. It is the intelligent way to do it.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:05 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Cumulative deaths from coronavirus:

New York, U.S.A. (pop. approx. 8 million): 32,178
Seoul, S. Korea (pop. approx. 10 million): 443

Mask usage in South Korea is well-neigh universal when contagious diseases strike. Not so in New York.

Masks may not be perfect, but they do seem to help. Unless you have another explanation as to the huge disparity in deaths between these two cities.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I drive while wearing a mask when I am alone because it minimizes handling the mask. Put in on, do all my errands, then take it off and sanitize my hands. It is the intelligent way to do it.
The CDC recently said that there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of COVID transmission on surfaces. Handling your cloth mask to take it off in the car is an acceptable risk. But thank you for proving my point.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Cumulative deaths from coronavirus:

New York, U.S.A. (pop. approx. 8 million): 32,178
Seoul, S. Korea (pop. approx. 10 million): 443

Mask usage in South Korea is well-neigh universal when contagious diseases strike. Not so in New York.

Masks may not be perfect, but they do seem to help. Unless you have another explanation as to the huge disparity in deaths between these two cities.
Ridiculous comparison. Try comparing U.S. states when you play this game. What's your explanation as to why states with draconian mask mandates like NY and NJ have had far more deaths/cases/hospitalizations per capita than states that believe in liberty?

Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Ridiculous comparison. Try comparing U.S. states when you play this game. What's your explanation as to why states with draconian mask mandates like NY and NJ have had far more deaths/cases/hospitalizations per capita than states that believe in liberty?
Why is it ridiculous? I picked two very large, very densely populated, First World cities and compared their deaths. What is Seoul doing right, or what is New York doing wrong, that has caused such a huge disparity in the number of deaths?

Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why is it ridiculous? I picked two very large, very densely populated, First World cities and compared their deaths. What is Seoul doing right, or what is New York doing wrong, that has caused such a huge disparity in the number of deaths?
For starters, I doubt the Koreans are inflating their numbers like the United States is. Second, Korea’s proximity to China probably makes Koreans better able to handle viruses like this. Third, they aren’t fat slobs like most Americans and we know that obesity is the driving factor behind the vast majority of COVID hospitalizations and death.

Are you going to answer my question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies