Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 09:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,042,807 times

Advertisements

The eviction moratorium was unconstitutional.

U.S. Constitution
Amendment 5
No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment 14
...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 09:55 AM

8,274 posts, read 3,516,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Confused on why people couldn’t pay. Didn’t the government give people who were unemployed extra money? Why did they use these funds to pay rent or their mortgage?
Some people in Kentucky filed a claim back last year and they never had their claims processed.

Then some people had their claims processed but something like 19? crooked unemployment workers had the money going to their own accounts and the claimants were receiving nothing while the system said that they were. There was never a follow up story on that. The offices were closed to the public and the victims could not get anyone on the phone.

There's no telling how many victims there were.

And then some of the employees filed fake claims for real people who had not lost their jobs and were having the money going in their own accounts. A doctor in Lexington KY had this happen to him and he found out because the government found out that he was working the whole time and was going after him for the money.

So far I have not seen any handcuffs going on these people, and the government is trying to keep it quiet as possible. There's been little bits hit the news and then it went quiet with no follow ups.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,956,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Saturday.html

Yikes, talk about a man with no sympathy. No wonder 50% of Americans ignore him and refuse to get a vaccine, he has yet to make any good decision and has broken every promise. I can see the buyers remorse from Democrats now.
So since you have so much more sympathy I assume you will make space in your house/apartment for some of these poor evicted people to live for free??? Perhaps even put bunk beds in your bedroom?

Old 07-31-2021, 09:58 AM

39,884 posts, read 26,562,438 times
NOT extending the eviction moratorium is the first intelligent thing Biden has done. Forcing property and home owners to provide free housing to deadbeats is wrong at any time (including when done by Trump) but especially NOW when everywhere is hiring. The deadbeats lived rent-free, but the property owners still have to pay their mortgages, utilities and upkeep, and especially their TAXES. No wonder so many rental property owners are selling out, and so many others are raising rents to try to survive.

Funny isn't it? While government scr*ws property owners, and businesses and individuals with forced shut-downs, not one local or state government did away with property, income or sales taxes. And very few, if any, government drones lost their jobs, even when they were not working.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:58 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,772,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Let me add everyone was not milking the system. A lot of folk fell on hard times so let’s not accuse everyone of getting over. If you are out of work and most people had kids at home all year so after paying for food and other expenses I get why rent was last.

I don’t get why the govt bailed out everyone except mom and landlords.
Very true. I have never been late on rent, but I don't have kids. The only mouths I feed are my cats and myself. Times have been hard, but not everyone was out to milk the system.

I realize LL's aren't charity, but not all renters are lowlife's, either. But LL's speak about them like they are vermin.

I am sure LL's will take strong advantage of the new cash-in-hand advance payments on the child tax credits thus making them a wash with rent costs.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,595,815 times
Quote:
millions will be homeless
There is no direct correlation between people behind on rent and people becoming homeless.

Many people somehow come up with the money, others move to somewhere cheaper, others move in with family, etc. Surely more people will be at risk of homelessness but I doubt homeless numbers will suddenly go from current estimate of 600k to millions.

Cease dramaqueenery please.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,772,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
There is no direct correlation between people behind on rent and people becoming homeless.

Many people somehow come up with the money, others move to somewhere cheaper, others move in with family, etc. Surely more people will be at risk of homelessness but I doubt homeless numbers will suddenly go from current estimate of 600k to millions.

Cease dramaqueenery please.
Unaffordable housing is actually the #1 cause of homelessness, but with that being said, I agree with the jist of what you are saying - I think these are folks that would be or had already been struggling and the ending of the EM will therefore not be that big a catalyst.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:07 AM

8,274 posts, read 3,516,036 times
The lockdown should never have happened. People should not have been stripped from their jobs. Landlord should never have been forced to provide free housing.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:10 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Good that eviction protection is ending. That will make poeple go to work.

As long as it is easy to stay home and collect money, there is no incentive to work, but let a person have to live on the street, and soon they will say "Eff this" and then they will go back to work. It has to be painful to NOT work, so they need to suffer.

Yes i said it. they need to not be coddled, or else they will never go back to work.
That sounds like a great idea. Yeah no. On the one hand I probably shouldn't care because I'm not having any luck anyway but it could always be worse.
Like we need oversaturation. I was having trouble getting a decent job as it is and you want to make competition even stiffer. So while you're making it be more painful to not work you're making it even more soul sucking to try and get decent work.

If it is ending they better add more easily obtainable jobs.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:18 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Quote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Saturday.html

Yikes, talk about a man with no sympathy. No wonder 50% of Americans ignore him and refuse to get a vaccine, he has yet to make any good decision and has broken every promise. I can see the buyers remorse from Democrats now.
This is a good example why I am so confused as I stated in another thread. Millions of people risk becoming homeless. But yet the housing market is crazy right now. Like how??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies