Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 06:19 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Sure but at least make a fuss about it instead of blaming Republicans as anti-vaxxers while excusing other groups that have lower rates of compliance and completely ignoring the open border. Not addressing it tells me they don’t want solutions. They want a way to continue to demonize people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:24 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't think doctors are infallible, but they can be pretty darn smart. And if people have concerns over side effects, their doctors should be discussing that with them. Perhaps I've been fortunate in having mostly good experiences, but my doctors have been more than willing to discuss those with me and acknowledge them but also explain how the chances of getting COVID and having a debilitating long-term illness or death due to being unvaccinated is far higher than the extremely unlikely possibility of severe, lasting side effects.

They also have more at stake than the sensational pundit on cable media willing to say anything for ratings or some unemployed Youtuber or Tik Toker who is trying to get more views and monetize their channel while they're getting baked and spouting off nonsense. If a doctor misrepresents information intentionally, they can be sued or put their license in jeopardy. Weasel4#3$420 (randomly made up username) on Tik Tok or some other cable channel have no such professional consequences as long as they're getting more clicks or revenue from advertisers to keep their handlers happy. I can guarantee you that the cable media pundit or Tik Tok yahoo isn't going to care or pay the hospital bills when someone follows their advice and it goes very badly, but a lot of people are foolish enough to listen to what these people say and take it seriously, apparently.

I promise I'm not trying to be mean towards you by saying this , but I think people need to do a much better job thinking through who to believe and not believe when it comes to health information.

Proving you completely ignored what I said and just think I’m some rube. I said I’m vaccinated. I also think the way this is being handled is guaranteed to seed distrust. And I also think pregnant women and young people should have a right to choose not to get vaccinated. The vaccine is out there and if people choose not to get it and end up sick, well that’s on them. Just like the flu.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:40 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
[/b]

Proving you completely ignored what I said and just think I’m some rube. I said I’m vaccinated. I also think the way this is being handled is guaranteed to seed distrust. And I also think pregnant women and young people should have a right to choose not to get vaccinated. The vaccine is out there and if people choose not to get it and end up sick, well that’s on them. Just like the flu.
Oh...no! This wasn't meant personally towards you and I saw that you said you were vaccinated.

I think you're misunderstanding and that's why I specifically said that I wasn't trying to be mean to you, because it wasn't meant to be directed at you personally. In that same sentence, when I said "people", I was referring to a lot of different people (such as young people and pregnant women who you've mentioned), all of whom are running with unfounded information for whatever reasons.

I didn't mean what I was saying to come across as a personal dig against you, so I'm sorry if it did come across that way as I meant no ill-will.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-04-2021 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-04-2021, 06:48 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
They're a very vocal group that are primarily right wingers and cast shade on the right wing.
Yeah sure, whatever...

Old 08-04-2021, 06:53 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Oh really? What was their model? We didn’t have enough masks. The virus was widespread. We aren’t South Korea. We are essentially 50 nations. I looked up what South Korea had in place and there is just no way that could have happened. In case you forgot, our country is divided and there was The Resistance that wasn’t going to comply with anything Trump instituted like that.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-south-korea
Yup, as if in early 2020 Trump had gone full metal dictator on us, and the Trump-haters would have swooned and agreed to everything he said.

Trump placed restrictions on flights from China, and you'd have thought he was Hitler reborn.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:12 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
The fact is it hit South Korea first and we had a model to follow.
Here is the South Korean model:

People with obesity are 3 times more likely to be hospitalized by covid than non-obese people per the CDC.

Obesity rate in South Korea 4%

Obesity rate in the USA 43%

Trump should have instantly made half the country shed lots of pounds and gone all Jenny Craig on them. Orange man bad. Darn him to Hades!

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obe...une%20function.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:17 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
https://www.salon.com/2021/08/03/the...is-backfiring/

Link to poll: https://www.axios.com/axios-ipsos-po...c94361d92.html

This is a fascinating analysis on the GOP strategy to sabotage Biden’s vaccine rollout (and really, American public health). In short: they failed, and not just a simple fail, but a spectacularly disastrous, flaming ball of fail.

Remember the attendees at a CPAC who applauded the news of America not reaching the 70% vaccinated goal recently? Those vile creatures thought America would blame Biden.

Well, well, well, turns out America blames the unvaccinated, Trump, and conservative media for the surge and for roadblocks to keeping Americans healthy.

I wish I could say told you so, but our friends and colleagues on the other side of the aisle never listen and learn.
Consider the sources.

If they gave me the time of day I wouldn't believe it.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:25 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,639,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
https://www.salon.com/2021/08/03/the...is-backfiring/

Link to poll: https://www.axios.com/axios-ipsos-po...c94361d92.html

This is a fascinating analysis on the GOP strategy to sabotage Biden’s vaccine rollout (and really, American public health). In short: they failed, and not just a simple fail, but a spectacularly disastrous, flaming ball of fail.

Remember the attendees at a CPAC who applauded the news of America not reaching the 70% vaccinated goal recently? Those vile creatures thought America would blame Biden.

Well, well, well, turns out America blames the unvaccinated, Trump, and conservative media for the surge and for roadblocks to keeping Americans healthy.

I wish I could say told you so, but our friends and colleagues on the other side of the aisle never listen and learn.
How many of Biden's unvaccinated illegals are you going to put up at your place

Put up, or shut up.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Oh really? What was their model? We didn’t have enough masks. The virus was widespread. We aren’t South Korea. We are essentially 50 nations. I looked up what South Korea had in place and there is just no way that could have happened. In case you forgot, our country is divided and there was The Resistance that wasn’t going to comply with anything Trump instituted like that.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-south-korea
We should have had enough masks. Don't blame it on Obama. The pandemic was in the last year of the Trump administration. Much of the resistance was a direct effect of Trump's wishy-washy dealing with the virus.

I made my own masks. It wasn't complicated.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:45 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
So Salon is a useless rag spewing lies while wing nut websites are beacons of truth?

No way Jose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies