Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 07:57 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The UK has 78,610 new cases today, by far the most of the pandemic.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
Their epi modelers have as many as a million cases per day by Christmas - many not detected of course because they are subclinical or the system is simply overrun.

We are at 150K now in the US and could easily do a million a day by MLK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 08:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:

And that's why they are being strongly urged to get the booster asap. They're getting bombed with both Delta and Omicron at the same time with Omicron starting to overtake Delta in numbers. Omicron cases are nearly doubling every two days. Even PM Boris Johnson who is somewhat like Trump made a speech today telling people to get the booster and they are making it much more readily available.

About 1/3 of Londoners are not vaccinated. In the UK there's been hardly any emphasis on social distancing or masks and everything has been open--pubs, restaurants, stores and no precautions taken. Now they've got a real mess on their hands.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm fine. There is something wrong with people who refuse vaccination. We have to stop kowtowing to them, worrying about their feelings. Actions have consequences. It is too late for them to get vaccinated now, so the only hope they have is that this omicron turns out to be less virulent than delta.
No.

You are gleeful; you want the unvaccinated to die so you can say “I told you so” and score political points.

I am “refusing vaccination” because I have 3 autoimmune conditions. Your assessment of the situation is wrong and disgusting.

PS: if your previous vaccine worked, you wouldn’t have to fear the unvaccinated.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
And that's why they are being strongly urged to get the booster asap. They're getting bombed with both Delta and Omicron at the same time with Omicron starting to overtake Delta in numbers. Omicron cases are nearly doubling every two days. Even PM Boris Johnson who is somewhat like Trump made a speech today telling people to get the booster and they are making it much more readily available.

About 1/3 of Londoners are not vaccinated. In the UK there's been hardly any emphasis on social distancing or masks and everything has been open--pubs, restaurants, stores and no precautions taken. Now they've got a real mess on their hands.
Boris Johnson is not like Trump.

If 66.6% of Londoners are vaccinated, why are they being overrun by Delta and Omicron?

Old 12-15-2021, 08:06 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,861,320 times
Quote:

If they measured as extensively in 2020 as they do today, the record might have been 1 million (dollars)! Sad they missed out.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
No.

You are gleeful; you want the unvaccinated to die so you can say “I told you so” and score political points.

I am “refusing vaccination” because I have 3 autoimmune conditions. Your assessment of the situation is wrong and disgusting.
You don't know anything about me. I am fed up with unvaccinated people who have been putting our health care workers through hell and prolonging our national misery. Damn straight. To hell with them. And I am right. What I don't know I freely admit and that is how bad this is going to be in unvaccinated people. There just are not enough of them and enough of them who have health problems yet to draw any conclusions. I am sympathetic to people who have autoimmune conditions and especially children who can't be vaccinated. The people who are putting them in harm's way are the ones who won't get vaccinated although at this point, it probably no longer matters as only boostered people are going to avoid infection - and that will only be temporary.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You don't know anything about me. I am fed up with unvaccinated people who have been putting our health care workers through hell and prolonging our national misery. Damn straight. To hell with them. And I am right. What I don't know I freely admit and that is how bad this is going to be in unvaccinated people. There just are not enough of them and enough of them who have health problems yet to draw any conclusions. I am sympathetic to people who have autoimmune conditions and especially children who can't be vaccinated. The people who are putting them in harm's way are the ones who won't get vaccinated although at this point, it probably no longer matters as only boostered people are going to avoid infection - and that will only be temporary.
Initial reports from the CDC indicate that 79% of Omicron cases in the US were fully vaxxed.

79%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kho...2-e4c0723d68dd

Here’s another way to look at the numbers:

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that of the 43 cases attributed to Omicron variant, 34 people had been fully vaccinated. Fourteen of them had also received a booster, although five of those cases occurred less than 14 days after the additional shot before full protection kicks in.”

34 out of 43 were fully vaxxed, and 9 of the 34 were properly boosted.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mos...dc-2021-12-10/

Old 12-15-2021, 08:27 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,770,332 times
Quote:
I don't know. I guess they are worried about the unvaccinated getting severe cases and dying. They should not be shutting down anything because of these losers. Let omicron get them.
The 97% are so worried about the 3% that they feel the need to shut things down? Isn't that what the right said the left would still do when the left claimed it's just temporary?

Wow! What a bunch of silly worriers.

If you take proper steps to protect yourself, you should never have to worry about what anyone else does. No lockdowns, no mask mandates, no forced vaccines, no forced distancing.

That's the science of it all.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Initial reports from the CDC indicate that 79% of Omicron cases in the US were fully vaxxed.

79%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kho...2-e4c0723d68dd

Here’s another way to look at the numbers:

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that of the 43 cases attributed to Omicron variant, 34 people had been fully vaccinated. Fourteen of them had also received a booster, although five of those cases occurred less than 14 days after the additional shot before full protection kicks in.”

34 out of 43 were fully vaxxed, and 9 of the 34 were properly boosted.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mos...dc-2021-12-10/
You are just not getting this. We know that being vaccinated with two shots offers little antibody protection. We also suspect that being vaccinated with two doses offer significant protection against serious infection. Furthermore we know that boosters raise the level of protection from any infection including asymptomatic by a large degree and we suspect that boosters also will all but eliminate serious cases in those who have them. That is what you see in the US data. Being vaccinated very likely means mild illness. The fact that 40 people out of a population that is mostly vaccinated and consisted of travelers who were certainly vaccinated tells us nothing except what I wrote just now. Additionally there is no control group. We have no idea of how many similarly traveled to South Africa or went to the same grocery store or whatever and did not get covid.

What we also know for a fact is that anyone who has not been vaccinated or has not had a previous infection is a sitting duck for omicron. They have no antibodies that will protect them and no cellular immunity. Given the highly contagious nature of omicron, they will very likely get sick if they don't isolate, wear N95 masks until the wave passes. Will it be serious in that group? We don't know yet.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:36 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
Quote:
You are just not getting this. We know that being vaccinated with two shots offers little antibody protection. We also suspect that being vaccinated with two doses offer significant protection against serious infection. Furthermore we know that boosters raise the level of protection from any infection including asymptomatic by a large degree and we suspect that boosters also will all but eliminate serious cases in those who have them. That is what you see in the US data. Being vaccinated very likely means mild illness. The fact that 40 people out of a population that is mostly vaccinated and consisted of travelers who were certainly vaccinated tells us nothing except what I wrote just now.

What we also know for a fact is that anyone who has not been vaccinated or has not had a previous infection is a sitting duck for omicron. They have no antibodies that will protect them and no cellular immunity. Given the highly contagious nature of omicron, they will very likely get sick if they don't isolate, wear N95 masks until the wave passes. Will it be serious in that group? We don't know yet.
The only person I'm aware of so far who was hospitalized with Omicron was fully vaccinated.

You have simplified how the immune system works a great deal. How do you explain that at the beginning of the pandemic (when no one was vaccinated or had natural immunity) something like 20-50% were asymptomatic carriers?

Your body recognizes invaders by peptides that are foreign to your body. It has several line of defenses, including the innate system. The innate system has toll-like receptors that can recognize patterns of foreign invaders without ever being exposed to that antigen. In fact, through genetic recombination, it can make enough receptors for every theoretical possible peptide sequence.

Some people have strong innate systems. You know who has the strongest innate system? Kids. And kids do the best with COVID.

As you age, your adaptive immune system becomes stronger, and you learn to attack antigens repeatedly through activating that arm. However, the more you use that arm, the weaker your innate system becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies