Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 07:29 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,771,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So glad we aren't seeing the hospitalization impact that we did last year.
You obviously are either not paying attention or don't want to see what you don't want to see. The deep blue states are seeing their winter surge start and hospitals are just beginning to get overwhelmed again.

As COVID cases rise in the region, hospitals reaching near capacity

Covid Crisis Threatens Holiday Season as U.S. Hospitals Overflow. Doctors and nurses say they’re exhausted, frustrated and few. Months of vaccination campaigns haven’t been sufficient

New COVID-19 Hospitalization Record

More people have died of Covid on Brandon's watch and that's with all the knowledge we have now, all the vaccines and all the therapeutics.

But I get it. Politics first, lives last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 07:33 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,771,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes vaccinated can test positive mostly asymptomatic but they don't end up on ventilators for the most part, a large majority of those ending up in ICU's are unvaccinated.
I get that. Ponderosa was misinformed and posted inaccurate information when she stated only unvaccinated can catch and spread Covid. She was denying the science.

Ponderosa is scared crapless because of the minority who are not vaccinated, but science shows she should not be because she is vaccinated and very unlikely to be at serious risk. Again, she is not following the science.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:36 AM

24,658 posts, read 9,482,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
If you were to throw a dart at random, you'd hit more unvaccinated and not previously infected South Africans as they're the majority.
Liberals don't care. Out of sight and out of mind, they really think all of Africa will be fully vaccinated and boosted in the near future.

You would have better luck waiting for the Chicago murder rate to decrease by half, before all of Africa is vaccinated.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:50 AM

472 posts, read 244,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are just not getting this. We know that being vaccinated with two shots offers little antibody protection. We also suspect that being vaccinated with two doses offer significant protection against serious infection. Furthermore we know that boosters raise the level of protection from any infection including asymptomatic by a large degree and we suspect that boosters also will all but eliminate serious cases in those who have them. That is what you see in the US data. Being vaccinated very likely means mild illness. The fact that 40 people out of a population that is mostly vaccinated and consisted of travelers who were certainly vaccinated tells us nothing except what I wrote just now. Additionally there is no control group. We have no idea of how many similarly traveled to South Africa or went to the same grocery store or whatever and did not get covid.

What we also know for a fact is that anyone who has not been vaccinated or has not had a previous infection is a sitting duck for omicron. They have no antibodies that will protect them and no cellular immunity. Given the highly contagious nature of omicron, they will very likely get sick if they don't isolate, wear N95 masks until the wave passes. Will it be serious in that group? We don't know yet.
This made me LOL.

I and the majority of my friends/family are NOT vaxxed and we haven't gotten ANY of the variants. We all take care of ourselves by eating properly, taking supplements, getting exercise and plenty of rest. Perhaps the "sitting ducks" you speak of are not taking care of themselves? Then maybe I will agree with you there.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:51 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,798,607 times
These colleges are falling in line like dominos with closures and booster mandates.

Why aren't more people upset that they broke the clear social contract by which students got vaccinated? Many low risk college kids----especially those who already had Covid---weren't going to get the shots until they were coerced to, a clear violation of human rights (reminder: never negotiate with abusers).

It doesn't make sense to inject young adults of reproductive age--our future work force--with shots that have serious risks and no long term safety data.

Yet they mandated them with promises of "it is the only way to get back to NORMAL." Well, they didn't keep that promise for one second, as they mandated masks and other restrictions. And now closures.

Given this betrayal, why are people taking the boosters? Why do people continue to enroll in colleges?

Seems like this whole Covid situation involves the public being bullied and forced into increasing levels of risk and suffering based on the OCD-like contagion fears of our ruling class. Who somehow make themselves exempt from shot mandates and never miss a paycheck. They also don't obey their own mask rules that well.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Two shots or prior infection apparently have little effect on the omicron variant. We will have a million cases a day or more in the US in a couple weeks. It's too late to get protection now. Unvaxxed and vulnerable - prepare to meet your maker.
I know many families who are very concerned with their children returning home for winter break. It’s a combo of what they may bring home and what they may acquire while home as they are out and about with their peers and mingling with extended families, indoors.

We have known since mid summer the efficacy of vaccines begins to wane at the 5-6 month mark. We also know future immunity from a prior infection is no match against future infection by a different variant.

The vaccines obviously do not protect against infection by variants but are a major contributor to minimizing symptoms and avoiding hospitalization.

75% of us are overweight/ obese.

13% of us have Diabetes.

Nearly 10% of us have heart disease.

About 18% of us are 65 or older.

40% of us have had or will receive a Cancer diagnosis in the future.

Vaccination rates are highly variable amongst the 3000 counties in the US, despite being readily available.

Like the seasonal flu shot, I anticipate it will be necessary to get a booster at least once per year if not more often as I age.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:25 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I know many families who are very concerned with their children returning home for winter break. It’s a combo of what they may bring home and what they may acquire while home as they are out and about with their peers and mingling with extended families, indoors.

We have known since mid summer the efficacy of vaccines begins to wane at the 5-6 month mark. We also know future immunity from a prior infection is no match against future infection by a different variant.

The vaccines obviously do not protect against infection by variants but are a major contributor to minimizing symptoms and avoiding hospitalization.

75% of us are overweight/ obese.

13% of us have Diabetes.

Nearly 10% of us have heart disease.

About 18% of us are 65 or older.

40% of us have had or will receive a Cancer diagnosis in the future.

Vaccination rates are highly variable amongst the 3000 counties in the US, despite being readily available.

Like the seasonal flu shot, I anticipate it will be necessary to get a booster at least once per year if not more often as I age.
Meh. We've all been or will be exposed. Fear life is NO life.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:32 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,798,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Meh. We've all been or will be exposed. Fear life is NO life.
We had to take my daughter out of her first choice college, where she lived on campus, due to draconian Covid rules that were mentally and physically harmful to keep. Now she commutes and I deal with the prospect of her 'bringing something home' every day. We're all taking vitamin D and trying to keep healthy. Parents have access to vaccines if they want.

We can't live in fear, and we certainly can't make our kids feel like they are disease vectors. That was a toxic narrative that we all need to disavow entirely.

I do find it strange that when there is an 'outbreak' at a mostly residential campus, they send the kids back out into their communities in other states. Seems it would be better to advise them to stay ON campus and ride it out with their 100% vaxxed community.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
We have reports from South Africa that the variant causes symptoms similar to the common cold. But we will see as the new variant passes through the US and our relatively unhealthy, obese population.

Initial reports from the UK also show more mild symptoms but again early.
Africa has the youngest population in the world.

Africa has the lowest life expectancy in the world.

Healthcare is primitive throughout most of Africa.

Over the past several weeks, hospitals are once again nearing or exceeding capacity in many areas of states with cold winters and populations who gather over the holidays. Indiana has deployed its National Guard to assist in some hospitals that are being overwhelmed.

All vaccines were developed, trialed and approved for emergency use before Delta emerged within the 1.4 billion unvaccinated in India. Omicron emerged within the 1.2 unvaccinated people in Africa.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:50 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,374,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The vaccines were to help reduce SEVERE infection or hospitalizations, never were to stop all infections. I understood this as a medical professional but the messaging to the public was horrible on rollout back in 2020.

I get why people are confused. You still see people in the media (both sides) explaining this wrong, although it's usually on purpose, in order to make some point that backs whatever political leanings they have.
It's been said a million times but some people just refuse to listen. It's always about making a political point.

Vaccines are meant to reduce the severity of the disease, not prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies