Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 02:02 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The designation African American exists because native Africans were brought to America in slave ships and because of both a mixture of culture and lack of documentation, African Descendants Of Slaves do not know their original nation of origin.

In short, Elon Musk wouldnt even technically be African American on the Census as the census defines African American as having origins in black racial groups from Africa. Elon would simply be white on the census.

Also, we wouldnt call some a white person born in Hong Kong, that immigrated to America a Chinese American. Why would we call Elon anything near "African American" ?
While you make at least one good point, your supposition about why some on the left use a hyphenated-American to describe blacks, is flawed. The main reason that does not hold water is we do not call whites either European-Americans, nor even specific what country if we know (i.e. Polish-American, English-American, etc.).
Frankly in this day and age of wanting to shorten everything (i.e. frozen yogurt into froyo) it is a testament to the liberal/leftist indoctrination in schools and the media, that some people go out of their way to say African-American, out of fear of being called out for not using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Elon Musk is a leftist. He just doesnt like people who want to tax him more. Thats it, he literally just wants to keep his money.

If thats all that makes you like someone, then your political backbone can be broken by the weight of a feather.
I know you were responding to a different poster, but how do you define leftist, as many of us give liberals a pass compared to leftists, which seem bent on being communist light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 02:29 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
This discussion is all about some people who are bothered about the ethnic group called African Americans. No one wants to discuss; Scotch Irish, Volga Germans, or Russian Jews, just African Americans.

I don't try to change anyone's mind about what they want to call something. They would have to rearrange to many long held beliefs if you try to challenge a single one. For instance I and a friend were looking out at a 10 acre field and I saw what I would define as a quite large beautiful and graceful animal, he saw a freezer full of meat. To challenge this notion of his would be to challenge who he is, who his father and grandfather are.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes, we do…what you taking about?
Exactly theirs never been a day I haven’t identified as Nigerian American, or American of Nigerian descent. I’ve even gone to specifics and told people my exact Ethnic mixture if they know about the demographics of Nigeria.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The ONLY time I've heard people refer to themselves as Italian-American is when discussing something involving the culture of Italians, such as food. Nobody goes around saying they're Italian-American, but as you know, some folks make things up to justify what they do.
I actually know someone who identifies as Italian Venezuelan American. Depending on the day/context, he’ll tell you he’s Venezuelan, Italian and I’m sure if he’s talking to non-Americans

Old 12-20-2021, 01:52 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Blacks have come here from all over the World and not just the short window of slave trade. I work with a black dude who is actually from South Africa and he calls himself American, because he is.
Your comment has nothing to do with my post.

If you dont like the subject matter, you should be replying to the OP , since he is the one who called Elon an African American instead of just an American.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While you make at least one good point, your supposition about why some on the left use a hyphenated-American to describe blacks, is flawed. The main reason that does not hold water is we do not call whites either European-Americans, nor even specific what country if we know (i.e. Polish-American, English-American, etc.).
The bold is just a lie on your part, white people say all the time they are Irish or German, or Italian. Arguing that they dont use the actual hyphenation is a distinction without a difference in this context.

Quote:
Frankly in this day and age of wanting to shorten everything (i.e. frozen yogurt into froyo) it is a testament to the liberal/leftist indoctrination in schools and the media, that some people go out of their way to say African-American, out of fear of being called out for not using it.

That line of thought in the bold makes absolutely no sense. At best, your argument is that you dont talk about it, other wise, im curious as to what words actually flow out of your mouth when you discuss the above issue.

Quote:
I know you were responding to a different poster, but how do you define leftist, as many of us give liberals a pass compared to leftists, which seem bent on being communist light?
Leftist = Left of Center.

Thats how I use it, as a generalization.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:30 AM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
I prefer to use the term 'African-American'. It's just a preference. To me the term 'African-American' is respectful. Others may not see it that way or even receive it that way but that is how I perceive it. I grew up in rural Africa (Zululand) and have an affection for and interest in tribal African people. I've worked and interacted with African folks most of my life and get on well with them. I refer to them as African (and myself as European).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This discussion is all about some people who are bothered about the ethnic group called African Americans. No one wants to discuss; Scotch Irish, Volga Germans, or Russian Jews, just African Americans.

I don't try to change anyone's mind about what they want to call something. They would have to rearrange to many long held beliefs if you try to challenge a single one. For instance I and a friend were looking out at a 10 acre field and I saw what I would define as a quite large beautiful and graceful animal, he saw a freezer full of meat. To challenge this notion of his would be to challenge who he is, who his father and grandfather are.
I'm more of the 'quite large beautiful and graceful animal' type.

But your point is a good one.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:44 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
How is there no such thing as a South African-American? There are Nigerian-Americans. Ghanaian-Americans etc. Stop trying to deny Africans’ cultures/origins from them just because you may not know your own.

White people call themselves Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans etc.

Asians call themselves Korean-American, Indian-Americans, Japanese-American etc.

No one is speaking about who is Black. People who ONLY hyphenate with the entire continent are those who don’t know their origins (don’t have particular country of origin w/ which they identify).

I don't call myself an Irish American.

I call myself an American.

And if someone asks me my heritage, I tell them I'm mostly Irish with some English, French and American Indian thrown in.

But I never say "Irish American".

Old 12-20-2021, 02:47 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The ONLY time I've heard people refer to themselves as Italian-American is when discussing something involving the culture of Italians, such as food. Nobody goes around saying they're Italian-American, but as you know, some folks make things up to justify what they do.
Exactly. No one goes around calling themselves "South African American" like liberals want Elon musk to do.

Kamala doesn't call herself "South Asian Jamaican American."

Obama didn't call himself the first "Kenyan American" president.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:48 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
You do realize that being white born in South Africa does not qualify for the PC term "African-American", correct?
As a related side note, there was a case of a white South African who put down that they were African-American on an application. When he was awarded the position and showed up he as told he was no longer accepted because affirmative action allowed him to be chosen, under the assumption he was black.
That was one of the most stark cases to show how racist the program of affirmative action is.

Since South Africa is it's own nation, he likely would be called a South African-American, if you desired to classify someone as a hyphenated-American.

Is it completely lost on you that the entire point of the OP's post is that classifying ANYONE as a "hyphenated American" is just stupid and divisive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies