Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 02:55 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Blacks have come here from all over the World and not just the short window of slave trade. I work with a black dude who is actually from South Africa and he calls himself American, because he is.
Liberals don't care. They think all modern blacks arrived in America via ancestral slave ships and share some mythical monolithic slave legacy identify.

Liberals don't even know there were blacks in America before the slave ships landed.
Quote:
People of African descent — free and enslaved — were present in North America as early as the 1500s
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ithsonian.html

Elon Musk is a certified African American. We "typical" African Americans do not own a monopoly on the term. Most of us haven't even been to Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 05:57 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't call myself an Irish American.

I call myself an American.

And if someone asks me my heritage, I tell them I'm mostly Irish with some English, French and American Indian thrown in.

But I never say "Irish American".
Whether you hyphenate it or not, it means the same thing. Which is why the conservative argument about it makes no sense.

The big distinction is that African American actually means you are the descendent of slaves. Where as someone like Barack Obama would technically just be of Lou(Kenyan) heritage

Old 12-20-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Liberals don't care. They think all modern blacks arrived in America via ancestral slave ships and share some mythical monolithic slave legacy identify.

Liberals don't even know there were blacks in America before the slave ships landed.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ithsonian.html

Elon Musk is a certified African American. We "typical" African Americans do not own a monopoly on the term. Most of us haven't even been to Africa.
I dont know why you keep up the farce of pretending to be black.

Its one thing to simply not like the term African America, but it has a pretty distinct definition that has existed for probably most of if not all of your life. Purposefully misusing it to appease right wingers is weird.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:09 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Kind of a juvenile statement. IMO a racist is not necessarily a monster. Its simply a person who requires that the "others" that they come into contact with fit within their definitions of who that person is. That's why they have one name for people from the continent of Africa or any other continent for that matter. If Musk is African then we are not Americans.

No.......that's why they insist on separating Americans into hyphenated groups in the first place.

Can't use race as a weapon if you stop focusing on race now can you?!

Old 12-20-2021, 06:15 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Born on June 28, 1971 in Pretoria, South Africa.[3] His mother is Maye Musk (née Haldeman), a model and dietitian born in Saskatchewan, Canada,[4][5][6] but raised in South Africa. His father is Errol Musk, a South African electromechanical engineer, pilot, sailor, consultant, and property developer

Elon Musk is at least part Jew by maternal line. He is as much African as I am Martian.
There are a ton of South African Jews. Most of them live here now. I have cousins who immigrated here decades ago, and I have met so many through them. They seem to have South African Jewish communities in every major American city.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:20 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Whether you hyphenate it or not, it means the same thing. Which is why the conservative argument about it makes no sense.

The big distinction is that African American actually means you are the descendent of slaves. Where as someone like Barack Obama would technically just be of Lou(Kenyan) heritage

No. It doesn't mean the same thing.

The distinction is that when you hyphenate yourself in that manner, you are putting your ethnicity first before your American citizenship.

My citizenship comes first and foremost.

My ethnicity is irrelevant.

Apparently it's only relevant to you because you expect everyone to wear their ethnicity on their sleeve the way you do.

Because when you hyphenate yourself, you are announcing your ethnic background to people who never asked you what it was.

And BTW there's plenty of "African Americans" who call themselves that or get lumped into that group who aren't descended from African slaves per se.

Kamala Harris for instance.....

Old 12-20-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I dont know why you keep up the farce of pretending to be black.
My black skin, kinky hair, wide nose, thick lips, and big bum beg to differ. I'm black.

We are not monolithic and we do not call Elon Musk "South African American" nor did we call Obama "Kenyan American."

Old 12-20-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Its one thing to simply not like the term African America, but it has a pretty distinct definition that has existed for probably most of if not all of your life.
It's one thing to pander to African Americans, its another to claim you can define the term African American as a white liberal. Sorry, you don't, and you sure as hell don't speak for black people.

As a black man, the only reason "African American" even exists is because liberals like you were outraged over the word "black American."

99.9% of African Americans have never stepped one foot in any part of Africa and have zero plans to ever do so, except for Elon Musk who was born there. So yes, he is an African American.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:37 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Would be funny if Musk gets one of those giant checks like they have for lottery winners and fills it out for his 15bil tax bill and posts the picture to twitter etc. Filled out to "Senator Karen" and signed "freeloader".

Old 12-20-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
No. It doesn't mean the same thing.

The distinction is that when you hyphenate yourself in that manner, you are putting your ethnicity first before your American citizenship.

My citizenship comes first and foremost.

My ethnicity is irrelevant.

Apparently it's only relevant to you because you expect everyone to wear their ethnicity on their sleeve the way you do.

It literally does mean the same thing, and no we dont see it as us being african first and american second, That may be your internalized argument for why you dont do it, but not our reasoning for doing it.

Quote:
Because when you hyphenate yourself, you are announcing your ethnic background to people who never asked you what it was.
meh, in my case, people do indeed ask, but again we dont do it for the reasons you think. You have a preconceived belief of what people who arent like you want, and it seems to be entirely based on stereotypes and the boogie man.

Quote:
And BTW there's plenty of "African Americans" who call themselves that or get lumped into that group who aren't descended from African slaves per se.

Kamala Harris for instance.....
Sir, black people from Jamaica are descendants of slaves. How did all of yall not know this ??????????

Like seriously, thats a weird argument I keep seeing white conservatives make as if yall really didnt know black people from the Caribbean are also descendent from slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies