Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 01:59 PM

6,619 posts, read 5,019,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I work in medicine, think Fauci. If the mind is good and the person can move then they stay as department heads, senior positions, ect. And boomers can be as young as 58-60, not all are retirement age although in my situation they are past retirement.

The worst part is the board or people that select personnel for those positions are all Boomers too.

Gen X'ers will retire with Boomers being their supervisors during their entire working career. Talk about a career ceiling, wow.

I am in the oldest Millenial group so I am looking to jump past the Gen X'ers, sorry but I cannot do what you guys have done, wait on these boomers.
Depends on your field. I am in tech and certainly I am in meetings with lots of gray hair, but those guys start cognitively deteriorating at 55. Principal engineers usually make more than functional supervisors, those guys approve your PTO and are largely administrative tasks. I find that the closer you are to the revenue stream the more money you make regardless of your place in the org chart.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:03 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,220,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
as a parent to millennials, anecdotally i glean from talking with them they want a strong economy/job security foremost. in their working careers, the millennial generation has had to deal with a years long deep recession with unstable work environments and a years long pandemic. both of which hit them hard financially.

rising health care costs are also a top concern for millennials. whether they work for a company or self employed and purchase health insurance privately, health insurance deductibles/premiums are rising fast relative to income growth. health care costs are negatively impacting their finances a great deal, too.

so basically the same as everyone else.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Actually, yes. I work in engineering and have seen this happen (and happen to me) many times. When I was younger, I got promoted past older workers and even managed people who were previously my supervisor. Now that I'm old, many younger workers are getting promoted above me - some of whom worked for me in the past. I remember telling some of these folks that one day they would be my boss - because I recognized their potential and did everything I could to clear the path for their upward trajectory. Good managers aren't threatened by subordinates who are superior to them.

Yes. This. I've seen and lived all of it. It's a weakling with no gumption or imagination who sulks and blames their manager's existence for their own inability to advance or move. Outwork your manager and when their incompetence gets in your way then quit. You might be surprised when their boss comes to you and asks why you're leaving. Then illustrate your bosses incompetence and watch them get sidelined. That can happen. If you're good enough you can be given a group and employees of your own. You move up, your manager moves up. Lateral to other groups where you have more mobility. The options go on and on. Opportunity is the residue of hard work. Blaming some generalized older generation for your own failure is weak AF.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
and like some of the previous wise posters said, we want free marijuana, healthcare, housing and we want a govt that decides what people need and don't need like 5 bedroom McMansions because we all know nobody needs that. But we need the other stuff to be free. Oh and I want niceness to be more important in our kids' curriculum than math which needs an equity rewrite. It was made up by old white men like Newton and our generation wants to hear from new math voices.
Wow. With comments like these, I can see why so many welcome being coddled by the government. Builders build what is selling, and those Mcmansions sell as fast as they go up. It is what it is. When we were house shopping a couple of years ago, it definitely was tough finding what we wanted. Something semi rural, with a large lot , and only around 2000 sqft. It took some time and it all worked out.

Since these huge homes are selling, it's obvious people are buying them. It's supply and demand. When those homes quit selling the builders will start building what does.
I was being as sarcastic as I could possibly be.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:11 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,537,615 times
I wish I were going to be around when they say we were right. I thought I knew everything when I was 20. My dad tried to tell me. I wish he were around so I could tell him he was right.

All the policies that you guys think you want are what's driving your misery to begin with. I am not going to detail them YET again. Suffice it to say, the federal government f$#ks up everything it touches. EVERYTHING.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:21 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,220,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I wish I were going to be around when they say we were right. I thought I knew everything when I was 20. My dad tried to tell me. I wish he were around so I could tell him he was right.

All the policies that you guys think you want are what's driving your misery to begin with. I am not going to detail them YET again. Suffice it to say, the federal government f$#ks up everything it touches. EVERYTHING.

I hear you and am thinking the same thing. We all have to learn eventually. I would like to know how they are going to get these things enacted and paid for - remembering the boomers are gone and they are now responsible. Anyone ???

Old 02-01-2022, 02:26 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,537,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I hear you and am thinking the same thing. We all have to learn eventually. I would like to know how they are going to get these things enacted and paid for - remembering the boomers are gone and they are now responsible. Anyone ???
I tend to think they are so used to a low standard of living, they might not notice. I mean, they are paying off gobs of student debt. (Another major government induced F-up).

Old 02-01-2022, 02:35 PM

29,537 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I was being as sarcastic as I could possibly be.
It's so hard to tell these days.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:37 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I’m in my 30s….think many people want marijuana legalized, free healthcare, free college, affordable housing, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Where are we supposed to get the money for free healthcare and college?
Oh I know their answer, "other people".

Slavery anyone?

Old 02-01-2022, 02:41 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I tend to think they are so used to a low standard of living, they might not notice. I mean, they are paying off gobs of student debt. (Another major government induced F-up).
Thanks to Reagan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies