Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 10:31 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Exactly, so the supreme court should have no say about abortion. But roe v wade was about privacy which is in our constitution.
Roe was not about privacy. Privacy rights existed well before the case arose-in 50 states.

The 2022 SC is correcting the Roe Courts mistake.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Female ducks have biological systems for that.

I read it and now I know it.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...als-180979813/
That was absolutely fascinating! Thanks for posting it.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:33 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Irrelevant.

All the arguments for abortion in this thread seem to center completely (and exclusively) around the effect it has on the mother. Even the father is not brought into the picture, and most certainly the baby is not.

As I've said before, people have gotten used to the idea that killing their baby isn't murder, or even a particularly "bad" thing - more like getting a mole removed. Once they are used to that, and particularly if they had had 49 years to get used to the idea that killing their baby is no big deal, then if something comes up based on the contrary idea that killing their unborn baby IS is big deal, and in fact can be likened to murder, they recoil in horror. Not horror over the idea of murdering their unborn child. But horror over losing the convenience of "removing a mole" that might have caused them problems for the next 20 years or so.

Well, maybe a little horror over the reminder that they have, in fact, been advocating murder. But that will make them scream all the louder against it. And they will never admit that that is what they now have to face. Instead, they will scream in rage at the people who made them face it, as though THOSE were the ones doing a bad thing.
And all of the women in your city will still be able to get abortions.

With your attitude about this, and a number of other things, I don't see how you can stand living in California....even in San Diego.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:38 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Companies base decisions strictly on profit. Where can I locate to maximize it.

PS: Red states , year in, year out, disproportionately outpace blue states in GDP growth.
PS: That is objectively incorrect.

Red States, Blue States: Two Economies, One Nation
https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/inves...es-one-nation/

The bottom line is, red states that choose to make abortion illegal or highly restrictive will have more unplanned pregnancies. Potentially tens of thousands. And they will need to raise, feed, clothe and educate all those children. Since the response is typically "adoption!" hopefully they have a whole bunch of people lined up to adopt all these babies. That will be a very expensive "win" in red states and they need to figure out how to pay for it.

The resulting costs should NOT be federalized.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:38 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
This is an amazing day. You lose, baby-killers.

I wasn't sure I'd ever see the day. The 50-year originalist legal movement is nearly complete. One of the greatest moments in American history.
Enjoy your moment. If the Court does reverse Roe and Casey, you are ensuring the House remains in the Dems hands, the Senate picks up more Democratic seats, and Joe Biden gets re-elected. I’m no Constitutional scholar, so I don’t pretend to know what the Constitution should or should not permit. But what I do know is that taking away a fight enjoyed by 50% of the population will not go over well, and the electorate is going to place the blame on the party responsible for the current configuration of the Court.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Many Americans have become used to the idea that killing an unwanted baby is a legitimate way of "ending the problem" of pregnancy.

Now that the spectre of abortion being little different from murder, is staring them in the face, the explosion of NO!!!! is huge. They were much more comfortable when it was not much different from swatting a fly.

The idea that they were murdering their own child, was something they no longer had to worry about.

Coming off that comfortable feeling "cold turkey" is outrageous to them. I.e. they still don't want to contemplate the idea that abortion is murder.
So Roboteer, since you think abortion is outright murder of a human being, then wouldn't you quite passionately support a state law that would put a woman to death who got an abortion? If so, you might as well quite strongly support a state law that puts a doctor to death who gave her an abortion. It would be irrelevant if there was a shortage of doctors in this country.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Most likely fake news.
I don't think even the current right wing activist packed court would do this. I could be wrong.
I predict you will be wrong by maybe as much as 6 to 3.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:41 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'll believe it when it happens. We saw all kinds of "leaks" about Trump that proved false..or grossly misreprented..so I'm willing to wait and see what this is all about. It may end up being a nothing burger. The bigger issue is who would leak a SCOTUS document and what should we do to them?
Politico published it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...e-pdf-00029504

Sotomayor's clerk apparently was the leaker.

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
I am delighted Trump's appointees were 3-0 in signing on to Alito's draft.

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Hey, I'm fine with red states passing restrictive laws as long as I don't have to pay for it. Odds are they will go after abortion pills next. Hopefully they have a plan to adopt all those babies and money to feed, clothe and educate them. This is not a blue state problem.
Yup, red state problems.

As much as I'm (shocker) not a giant fan of murdering teh babies, I'm an even smaller fan of supporting someone else's unwanted babies. Predominantly it's a red state women's issue if Roe vs. Wade gets overturned. There's enough of 'em and a few men on a similar page that if they decide to want access to birth control, morning after pill, abortions, sexual education, government funded prenatal care, requirement that heal insurance cover delivery costs, they can keep those things. If they don't want them they can watch them go away. It seems not great to me but who am I to tell them what they should want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies