Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:37 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I guess people need to just learn how to adapt to change and or find other things to do. That seems to be the general consensus.
Yep. Just adapt to a lower quality of life, for no compelling need. Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 11:38 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
It looks like other states are supporting CA and possibly moving to do the same. As others have noted, CA usually leads in emissions/pollution initiatives (ex. CARB). I can see a whole lot of logistic issues here and I doubt the infrastructure will lead.... as always it leads with the consumers. So hopefully infrastructure will also be built up from now till the year 2035 to meet the needs of the changing consumer base. It also looks like several manufactures are claiming that they will eventually (no commit date) be all electric with a plan to sell hybrids.

Dodge recently announced the discontinuation of the Challenger and Charger... They are being replaced by electric versions.... I love my petro cars and stick shifts... but I also accept that they are all going away eventually. Most consumers today don't even know how to drive a stick (nor want to) so I certainly can't expect them to make a model just for people like myself.

Also note that it looks like heavier commercial vehicles will have until 2045.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of a ban. How about set the emissions standards to incrementally stricter levels over time and challenge the manufacturer to meet those requirements.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:43 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
I don't have a problem with EV muscle cars. I love the benefits of electric cars with their copious torque and reduced maintenance. I would love to own one under the future circumstances of long range, rapid recharge rate, modest cost, sufficient infrastructure, and ample electrical power supply at all times of the day and night.

I am just furious that several states are going to mandate them prematurely. Thank goodness I recently left the tyranny of California for the sanity of Tennessee.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:43 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I thought California was shutting down all nuclear power plants. There is only one operating and it is going to be decomissioned.

Imagine that - new technologies spur the need for more technologies and innovative solutions. More opportunities for people to invest and make money rather than complain:

https://www.energy.gov/ne/advanced-s...-reactors-smrs

People can keep complaining about trying to keep their centuries old tech. The world will pass you by and you'll miss out on a massive industrial revolution that could make you a lot of money in the stock market. CYA. Stay in the stone age all you want.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The air is only consistently a problem in Los Angeles and it's FAR better today than it was when I lived there 40 years ago. I was down there in August 2015 and the San Gabriel Valley air was clear. I've never seen it clear like that. Orange County had some SMOG.

In any case, it appears the SMOG controls are working and there's more vehicles there than ever. They are pushing EVs because they know there are too expensive for many people and will force them to use public transportation.
Emission controls were pushed by CA early on and you acknowledge that they work. It was a government intervention and signed by Ronald Reagan. Back then there was also a big stink about it.... more expense... but looking back it worked.. right?

The way I see it, is the push for going electric in CA is just an iteration of that direction. Just like with many edge technologies, they are going to be expensive initially. Its not happening overnight... it is happening in 2035 and I bet the prices will be competitive as more options are available in market.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:54 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with EV muscle cars. I love the benefits of electric cars with their copious torque and reduced maintenance. I would love to own one under the future circumstances of long range, rapid recharge rate, modest cost, sufficient infrastructure, and ample electrical power supply at all times of the day and night.

I am just furious that several states are going to mandate them prematurely. Thank goodness I recently left the tyranny of California for the sanity of Tennessee.
I know, can you imagine an AWD 1000hp EV Challenger, Camaro, or Mustang ?

I think many have already seen the EV Corvette teaser...

https://youtu.be/rVZ_HNDE2MY

Old 08-30-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Absolutely... the instant torque is wonderful. I'm just being sentimental... of course that alone isn't a reason enough to continue. I personally am still skeptical due to longevity of the batteries and what/where the materials for said batteries. I've got a while, I tend to drive 10 year+ old cars anyways. I have no doubt that at some point, I too will be driving either EV or hybrid.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
People can keep complaining about trying to keep their centuries old tech. The world will pass you by and you'll miss out on a massive industrial revolution that could make you a lot of money in the stock market. CYA. Stay in the stone age all you want.

Yeah... people tend to believe this things will happen tomorrow and people will be left without options. They forget that technology advancements don't happen in isolation and over time. EV technology in vehicles will also evolve spawn advances in supporting technologies like batteries and infrastructure. I guess what they are really complaining about is the creation of what is perceived as artificial needs/demands to spark innovation... They are really just goals to target.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:20 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
I can empathize with people upset at the idea of a ban on ICE cars. I actually agree with them. A free market price on carbon will fix the issue without removing freedom. The problem is many of the same people deny anthropocenic climate change and the proven viability of EV technology. We should be able to find common ground to fix problems, not deny the problems exist.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:00 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Heh, maybe all of the hoopla over ICE vs EVs is missing for the forest for the trees. How about moving to a society completely devoid of cars altogether?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...blic-transport

Cities in Germany are already mulling over permanent car bans in city centers, including a proposal for the largest ban for a city in the world that covers 34 sq mi. It does make sense. US urban planning is some of the most illogical in the entire world, because everything is built around a stupid car. Logically it makes perfect sense to have living spaces, jobs, and amenities close together so cars are no needed, and you cut down on hundreds of thousands of deaths, stop wasting tax dollars on stupid roads and maintenance, and peoples' finances are much better off when they don't need to buy, maintain, and insure cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies