Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2022, 10:01 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,016,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Mass is following Calif. No new gas powered autos sold from 2035 onward. Course no one believes there is enough electrons being produced to power millions of cars! Details, details!
So is Washington state, with another 14 blue states likely to follow as well. After 2035, we could have 18 states where only EV sales are allowed, and 2 of them are large with California alone having 10% of all new US vehicle sales annually.

Blue states tend to be coastal and more populous than red states. These 18 states could mean 40% or more of all new US vehicle sales have to be EV by 2035.

Who really thinks we will have the power generation and infrastructure in 14 years to support that? What is the cost of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 10:13 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So is Washington state, with another 14 blue states likely to follow as well. After 2035, we could have 18 states where only EV sales are allowed, and 2 of them are large with California alone having 10% of all new US vehicle sales annually.

Blue states tend to be coastal and more populous than red states. These 18 states could mean 40% or more of all new US vehicle sales have to be EV by 2035.

Who really thinks we will have the power generation and infrastructure in 14 years to support that? What is the cost of it?
When AC became widespread in the 1960s was there just as fear mongering about the electrical grid’s ability to support it? Here in Ontario, Canada we run on nuclear power and during off peak hours we need to pay the US to take the excess power. Most people will charge their EVs during off peak hours when they get home from work, so this could actually be a good thing for our grid.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:14 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:

And more proof that this transition isn't market driven.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:25 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:

I've pointed out many times that people will need to have dedicated charging stations for their cars. If families have two cars now, they'll have two EVs. Which means they will need two dedicated EV charging stations at home, and maybe at work too, if they have long commutes.

It's fine if you have your own two car garage, and can afford to pay an electrician to install it. But what if you live in a apartment complex? I heard an EV charger can add up to almost the same cost to air condition your home. double that with to EVs.

Let's be real, most parking is first come, first served. You cannot be sure a parking spot with a working charging port will be available, or that no one will steal it from your car in the night. Kids love to play stupid games. I can definitely envision kids deciding it's great fun to unplug all the EV chargers at night.

Then of course, not all EVs use the same charger. And how do you pay for the charge? If someone does steal your charger, are you on the hook for their charge?

Old 08-29-2022, 10:51 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Liberals love to ban things!
We ban things that cause harm

Cons like to ban things that cause zero harm to society like same sex marriage.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
We ban things that cause harm

Cons like to ban things that cause zero harm to society like same sex marriage.
Interesting.

Why aren't plastic bottles and bags being banned ?
Why aren't we pushing to bring manufacture more goods here instead of having them shipped
on giant containerships that pollute our air, oceans and kill marine wildlife ?
Why do liberal DA's go soft on crime, letting criminals out to commit acts of violence ?

What liberals do, is come up with things that sound good in theory, but when executed do more harm than good.

And, things are changing among the Conservatives, many support same sex marriage.

The rise in support stems largely from a majority of Republicans, who for the first time approve of same-sex marriage at 55%, according to Gallup.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/10046...e-sex-marriage

Even the pope is being more lenient on same sex marriage.

"If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them?"

Let's start off with one of the most decisive moments in Francis' papacy for LGBTQ people. When asked about gay priests during a spontaneous exchange with the press, he responded, "If they [gay priests] accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency [same-sex attraction] is not the problem... they're our brothers."

https://www.hrc.org/resources/seven-...or-lgbt-people

Old 08-29-2022, 11:16 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I've pointed out many times that people will need to have dedicated charging stations for their cars. If families have two cars now, they'll have two EVs. Which means they will need two dedicated EV charging stations at home, and maybe at work too, if they have long commutes.

It's fine if you have your own two car garage, and can afford to pay an electrician to install it. But what if you live in a apartment complex? I heard an EV charger can add up to almost the same cost to air condition your home. double that with to EVs.

Let's be real, most parking is first come, first served. You cannot be sure a parking spot with a working charging port will be available, or that no one will steal it from your car in the night. Kids love to play stupid games. I can definitely envision kids deciding it's great fun to unplug all the EV chargers at night.

Then of course, not all EVs use the same charger. And how do you pay for the charge? If someone does steal your charger, are you on the hook for their charge?
depending on where you live, you might need 2 permits from the town to install the charging stations, an electrician for the electrical work, and possibly an upgrade to the electrical system of the house. Monet, money, money!

Old 08-29-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
depending on where you live, you might need 2 permits from the town to install the charging stations, an electrician for the electrical work, and possibly an upgrade to the electrical system of the house. Monet, money, money!
We looked into it, since we were considering an EV for my wife's next lease. We got quoted $700 to run power to the exterior side of the garage for a 220v plug. After further research, that doesn't seem to be the best way to go, the smartcharger would be the best way. And if we went that route, we would put the charger where there cars are actually parked so we wouldn't have to use a long extension cord. To do this we would have to trench through an area of our sidewalk, driveway, pour a concrete pad to mount the charger on a post. Never bothered with getting a quote for that. Going with the smartcharger, we would get a $450 credit from our energy company. We decided not to deal with all that and will just go with another ICE vehicle this time around.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:59 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
We looked into it, since we were considering an EV for my wife's next lease. We got quoted $700 to run power to the exterior side of the garage for a 220v plug. After further research, that doesn't seem to be the best way to go, the smartcharger would be the best way. And if we went that route, we would put the charger where there cars are actually parked so we wouldn't have to use a long extension cord. To do this we would have to trench through an area of our sidewalk, driveway, pour a concrete pad to mount the charger on a post. Never bothered with getting a quote for that. Going with the smartcharger, we would get a $450 credit from our energy company. We decided not to deal with all that and will just go with another ICE vehicle this time around.
Guy I work with put in a charger and also installed some solar panels. For him it's working out pretty well. His electric bills are a fraction of what they were before.

I don't know how much he forked out for the setup he's got. I think it was part of a rebate program the state was offering. I can't recall.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Guy I work with put in a charger and also installed some solar panels. For him it's working out pretty well. His electric bills are a fraction of what they were before.

I don't know how much he forked out for the setup he's got. I think it was part of a rebate program the state was offering. I can't recall.
Now that is a thought. Why bother running power from the house to the charger if it can be powered completely by solar power ? No trenching, no electrician, just the install of the charger and solar panel. I might have to look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies