Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 11:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Why does every single news outlet here talk about the shortage, always having rolling blackouts.

Jeezus, you don't live here, you have no f ing clue.
So you asked for data, and I gave you data from the source... but you don't like it so you ignore it. That's telling.

What does rolling blackouts have to do with anything we're discussing?

I have two homes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 12:03 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
So you asked for data, and I gave you data from the source... but you don't like it so you ignore it. That's telling.

What does rolling blackouts have to do with anything we're discussing?

I have two homes there.
I've got a serious case of what ever the F dude when you say what does rolling blackouts have to do with anything.

You are not a serious person and I'm done with you. I go two three rounds and
I check out, if someone isn't rational

Old 08-26-2022, 12:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I don't want this and I've been in CA longer than Newsome

Old 08-26-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I've got a serious case of what ever the F dude when you say what does rolling blackouts have to do with anything.

You are not a serious person and I'm done with you. I go two three rounds and
I check out, if someone isn't rational
Ok. So this is telling that you have no idea how electricity is generated. Saying F while ignoring data from the actual source isn't rational on your part.

You're trying to tie rolling blackouts to total capacity. That's not how it works. Rolling blackouts have to do with scaling electricity generation (from current output to future output or capacity). Only 25% of power plants in the US can scale up within an hour. Most take 12+ hours (source: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=45956).

The plants are not at constant 100% generation. It goes up and down based on demand. If demand changes too quickly, it has to be managed while additional capacity is brought online.

It seems more like you check out when you don't understand something or don't want to learn.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 08-26-2022 at 12:32 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 12:20 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Ok. So this is telling that you have no idea how electricity is generated. Saying F while ignoring data from the actual source isn't rational on your part.

You're trying to tie rolling blackouts to capacity. That's not how it works. Rolling blackouts have to do with scaling electricity generation. Only 25% of power plants in the US can scale up within an hour. Most take 12+ hours (source: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=45956).

The plants are not at constant 100% generation. It goes up and down based on demand. If demand changes too quickly, it has to be managed while additional capacity is brought online.

It seems more like you check out when you don't understand something or don't want to learn.
Again, what ever dude, you are talking out of your ass.

I've been in the HVAC industry for 29 yrs, I've studied LEED and CA high performing schools in regards to energy useage for many yrs. I understand energy and it's usage, you are talking out of your ass and you should be embarrassed.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Again, what ever dude, you are talking out of your ass.

I've been in the HVAC industry for 29 yrs, I've studied LEED and CA high performing schools in regards to energy useage for many yrs. I understand energy and it's usage, you are talking out of your ass and you should be embarrassed.
I'm literally quoting you information from the energy.ca.gov and eia.gov websites and provided you direct links to the information. You think you know more than them? Good for you, I guess... but I'll stick to the experts on this one. You're the one that looks embarrassed at the moment.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:08 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Then tell the automakers. They made this decision long before CA's new law. There will be very few if any gas cars by that year anyway.
They were forced into this decision all the way back in 2010.

In 2010, the Obama administration introduced a plan to cut greenhouse gases and spur innovation by steadily raising the CAFE standards to a target of 54.5 miles per gallon for new vehicles by 2025.

https://law.stanford.edu/fuel-econom...es%20by%202025.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:37 AM

24,640 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't have your answer, but here is a reality check.

The single biggest user of electricity in the home is air conditioning. This is used all summer, usually 3 to 4 months throughout California.

Air conditioning averages about 10 or 12 kilowatt hours per day.

An electric car uses 15 kilowatt hours to go 50 miles. If you have a 20 mile daily commute and have to drive another 10 miles for errands or to pick up the kids, you have used 50% more power than air conditioning. Tripple that if you have an hour commute.

So having all BEVs in California will add 150% to 300% more electric use than what you currently use for air conditioning. That said, lots of folks only need 3-4 months AC in California. Since driving is year round, then we are talking 6 to 8 times more energy use if everybody owns a car, than the sum total of all electricity used for AC in the home today.

I realize that business use a lot of air conditioning, so it is not as if BEVs would use 6 times all AC, just home AC.

So while I can't do the math, that should give you a solid idea.

Meanwhile, if global warming is really true, at the same time BEVs demand more electricity, we will be using more an more AC as the climate warms up. So we will be increasing all this electric demand for cars at the worst possible time.
Well stated and excellent post.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:41 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Does that means they'll finally shut down all of their 18 oil refineries there?

Old 08-26-2022, 05:41 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
When we purchased our vehicle at the end of 2018, the salesman at the dealership told us things were headed that way.
Yep, this is absolutely not a new thing.

You're already seeing industry shift in anticipation of both the laws already passed and those yet to come....like not building more refinery capacity. (for which they will be blamed for higher prices lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies