Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 05:23 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times

Advertisements

This deadline is completely arbitrary and can be arbitrarily changed or cancelled as well. Meaningless feel good politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 05:31 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,324 times
What a bunch of morons in that state. They can't even keep the power on now in order to charge the EV's they currently have. How are they going to handle the extra demand? Idiots.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:27 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
What a bunch of morons in that state. They can't even keep the power on now in order to charge the EV's they currently have. How are they going to handle the extra demand? Idiots.
How much is the extra demand? I see the complaint a lot, but never an analysis of why EVs are going to wipe out the grid.

Old 08-25-2022, 09:58 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How much is the extra demand? I see the complaint a lot, but never an analysis of why EVs are going to wipe out the grid.
Every summer we have PSA radio ads to turn off appliances, set the tstat to 78, etc etc.

We have rolling blackouts here on par with a third world nations and we're supposed to add millions of EV cars.

The state isn't prepared for all of this, the infrastructure isn't in place

Old 08-25-2022, 10:44 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
California’s grid can’t handle current demand. It doesn’t matter how much of an increase the demand is, it needs to be rebuilt before adding any demand at all.

That being said, the California Energy Commission estimates that 1.2 million public charging stations will be needed by 2030. They currently have 73,000. Do you think adding more than a million charging stations will put a strain on the already overworked power grid in California?

One of four things needs to happen before EVs become ubiquitous: Massive upgrades of the power grid, massive gains in renewable energy technology to allow the vehicle to charge itself, massive advances in energy transfer so that recharging time is similar to filling up an ICE vehicle, or massive improvement in battery storage capacity. Without one of those four things happening, any effort to force the transition is going to result in problems. An increase in capacity would be the best solution, in my opinion, but really all of them need to be pursued.

Norway, with around 70% electric vehicles, has 300 charging stations per 100k people. The United States currently has 30. We are a long way from being ready for EVs in every driveway.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:59 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
I don't have your answer, but here is a reality check.

The single biggest user of electricity in the home is air conditioning. This is used all summer, usually 3 to 4 months throughout California.

Air conditioning averages about 10 or 12 kilowatt hours per day.

An electric car uses 15 kilowatt hours to go 50 miles. If you have a 20 mile daily commute and have to drive another 10 miles for errands or to pick up the kids, you have used 50% more power than air conditioning. Tripple that if you have an hour commute.

So having all BEVs in California will add 150% to 300% more electric use than what you currently use for air conditioning. That said, lots of folks only need 3-4 months AC in California. Since driving is year round, then we are talking 6 to 8 times more energy use if everybody owns a car, than the sum total of all electricity used for AC in the home today.

I realize that business use a lot of air conditioning, so it is not as if BEVs would use 6 times all AC, just home AC.

So while I can't do the math, that should give you a solid idea.

Meanwhile, if global warming is really true, at the same time BEVs demand more electricity, we will be using more an more AC as the climate warms up. So we will be increasing all this electric demand for cars at the worst possible time.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don't have your answer, but here is a reality check.

The single biggest user of electricity in the home is air conditioning. This is used all summer, usually 3 to 4 months throughout California.

Air conditioning averages about 10 or 12 kilowatt hours per day.

An electric car uses 15 kilowatt hours to go 50 miles. If you have a 20 mile daily commute and have to drive another 10 miles for errands or to pick up the kids, you have used 50% more power than air conditioning. Tripple that if you have an hour commute.

So having all BEVs in California will add 150% to 300% more electric use than what you currently use for air conditioning. That said, lots of folks only need 3-4 months AC in California. Since driving is year round, then we are talking 6 to 8 times more energy use if everybody owns a car, than the sum total of all electricity used for AC in the home today.

I realize that business use a lot of air conditioning, so it is not as if BEVs would use 6 times all AC, just home AC.

So while I can't do the math, that should give you a solid idea.

Meanwhile, if global warming is really true, at the same time BEVs demand more electricity, we will be using more an more AC as the climate warms up. So we will be increasing all this electric demand for cars at the worst possible time.
Over the last 20 years, CA has increased electricity generation capacity by just under 50%. In the same time, AC units are up to 58% more efficient than they used to be. If they sustain that rate through 2055 (an estimate of when you will have all BEVs in California), it doesn't look too bad. Even if you don't consider AC unit efficiency.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Over the last 20 years, CA has increased electricity generation capacity by just under 50%. In the same time, AC units are up to 58% more efficient than they used to be. If they sustain that rate through 2055 (an estimate of when you will have all BEVs in California), it doesn't look too bad. Even if you don't consider AC unit efficiency.
Where are you getting this from. Ca has been importing power for many many years.

You have some data to back this up. This goes against everything I'v heard and read about our power sutuation here for the last 25 plus yrs.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:51 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Where are you getting this from. Ca has been importing power for many many years.

You have some data to back this up. This goes against everything I'v heard and read about our power sutuation here for the last 25 plus yrs.
https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...rgy#anchor5342

2011 Capacity: 55,530
2021 Capacity: 81,691

Math: 47%

Old 08-25-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...ity-and-energy

2011 Capacity: 55,530
2021 Capacity: 81,691

Math: 47%
Why does every single news outlet here talk about the shortage, always having rolling blackouts.

Jeezus, you don't live here, you have no f ing clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies