Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 05:26 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
you know, it's "sad funny". Because I tried the easy route "Search all posts", but they only go back about 4 months given your body of production, so no chance there. Then I actually used "school" as an advanced search and alas, there were pages of threads, but I guess I'd have to search them all to find out.

It's not a good return on time to "prove you wrong", when we know - and surely you'd admit - you were extremely pro-vax including REQUIRING people to take it.

I think they call it "plausible deniability". Because we'd have to search really hard and long to find your specific posts.
Suzy never said she wasn't pro vax.

What she did do, was post factual information as known at the time. There was a lot of stuff flying around and she was counter point to a lot of it. She is correct in that she didn't post political opinions, but because a lot of what she posted was from official channels, people have taken it that way.

You (the collective you) don't have to like what she posts, there are lots of people whose posts we don't particularly like, but there's no need to get nasty about it to this extent as a group. We all post here for entertainment and sometimes it's fun to gotcha.

But y'all are crossing the line here. (Not just you ET).

Sometimes our old posts don't age well.

And that's true for all of us.

But this feels a bit ugly.

Ok now go let the "snowflakey" comments commence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 06:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Hindsight? I and many others on this very forum were telling you and others like you that you were wrong in real time back when the pandemic was occurring.

I knew from Day One that masking was useless and would do nothing to stop the spread of an aerosolized virus. Why? Because I have read the dozens of scientific articles that had already been published on that very topic. The mitigation crowd ignored all of that data and research.

Also, I knew forcing people to shut down their businesses would cause more damage in the long run than benefit in the short run. Same with school closures. I argued those positions contemporaneously and did not need to benefit of hindsight.

Amazingly, even with the benefit of hindsight, the people who championed those provably wrong positions ****still**** refuse to admit they were wrong.
Exactly. We knew quite a bit about how masks would not be effective. It was also very predictable that the measures we were taking would cause great harm to society and they did.

There was no balance when it came to the response.

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-07-2022 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-07-2022, 06:44 AM

4,908 posts, read 2,059,477 times
And we are allowing millions of non-English speaking people and many with little to ZERO education to flood into the country?

Wow, many of our own native born citizens, who are the victims of the teacher’s unions and the Biden Administration are going to have it rough when they are force to compete for the few well paying jobs out there.

And no, these once illegals now have Work Authorization cards, so they’re not looking to pick/pack lettuce or work as dishwashers…. These millions will flood the labor market and honestly will also surpass the average American kid since today’s kids are less than highly motivated and many do not have even the most basic job skills, let alone people skills to advance within the labor force.

In any good size city, look at the people now working in many of the fast food restaurants. Today, they are cashiers and cooks, but tomorrow, many will be managers. So good luck to our American born kids who will now have to compete for managerial positions.

Top this off with beyond slow wage increases for low skilled jobs in the near future.

Well, the country is screwed, and I do not believe any of the lies coming out of the Biden Administration that this is somehow good for the American people.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:45 AM

1,174 posts, read 551,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'especially the most vulnerable'

they always have to get that in there.

the bolded is hard to believe, knowing how poorly the average US student performs compared to kids in singapore, finland, china, korea, etc.

https://archive.ph/EfjYU#selection-613.0-625.297
And now ‘CRT and gender studies’ will finish what /who the lockdowns left out.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:58 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
And now ‘CRT and gender studies’ will finish what /who the lockdowns left out.
indeed.

it's little wonder we have poll results like these.

Gallup: U.S. education system hits 2nd lowest approval all-time

Old 09-07-2022, 09:10 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Suzy never said she wasn't pro vax.

What she did do, was post factual information as known at the time. There was a lot of stuff flying around and she was counter point to a lot of it. She is correct in that she didn't post political opinions, but because a lot of what she posted was from official channels, people have taken it that way.

You (the collective you) don't have to like what she posts, there are lots of people whose posts we don't particularly like, but there's no need to get nasty about it to this extent as a group. We all post here for entertainment and sometimes it's fun to gotcha.

But y'all are crossing the line here. (Not just you ET).

Sometimes our old posts don't age well.

And that's true for all of us.

But this feels a bit ugly.

Ok now go let the "snowflakey" comments commence.
"Sometimes our old posts don't age well."

That is the understatement of the century.

The frustration with posters like suzy is that for 2+ years, they doubled down on those "official channels" - even with presented with alternative evidence and personal observations. Many many posters were correct when they said that breakthrough infections were common, the vaccinated were still getting covid, the vaccines weren't nearly as effective as claimed, an infinite amount of boosters were going to be necessary, yada yada yada.

And even worse, lockdowns and school closures were not only warranted, there would be no ill effects from them.

Posters like suzy claimed the exact opposite of all those views.

And those same posters continue to double down on whatever Big Pharma or Big Government says today.

How can any pro covid vaxxer look at the last 2+ years and not think that maybe they shouldn't be trusting the party line?

But now they excuse how wrong they were with "well, science has changed". No, science hasn't changed - the carefully cultivated science YOU trusted has changed.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:28 AM

9,745 posts, read 11,167,720 times
So that we don't modify history too much, let's go back in time.

THE best thing that ever happened with COVID was when it mutated with a cold virus https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...us-2021-12-03/ . Because of it, it became the Omicron variant. It was much more transmissible and multiple times milder. It was much less mild because the Omicron/cold variant reproduces up to 70 times faster in the upper respiratory tract, while at the same time being much slower to reproduce in lung tissue. So the virus is more easily transmitted. For most, it's mild (between a cold and mild grade flu).

Contrast with people were dropping like flies, getting long COVID with more severe symptoms, and people were overwhelming our hospitals. On a personal level, my non-vaxxed naysayer brother got the pre-Omicron variant. He ended up in the hospital and out of work for 4 months. It was touch-and-go for a while. I can go one with another dozen stories. Our ER doc son saw the initial rounds of COVID up and personal as he was overwhelmed and overworked. Once the vaccine was out and available to everyone, that changed the math and strategy and I posted accordingly. Therefore, many of the restrictions should have been lifted post vaccine release. And especially once Omicron was set in motion.

Early on, quality, well-fitted masks worked! No, not 100%. It's always been about the total viral load. Yet some people with a political bent were busy convincing themselves that they don't help, the vaccine was more harmful than it was (and YES, there were real side effects).

It was a matter of time before an antiviral cocktail actually worked. No, not hydroxychloroquine. Rather Paxcovid. For me, it was always about waiting out the storm. And the storm has long passed. Currently, it's a nothing burger for 99.9% of the people walking the planet. Initially, it was a big deal for a lot of people (of course not everyone). And certainly, healthy children had nothing to worry about. But maybe not so much for their adult family.

I think parents had the right to make their own decisions. And without question, some school districts were out of line with their lockdowns. While masks work (don't be dumb and parrot your political views), but obviously kids being in the same room all day long makes the benefit of wearing a mask semi-meaningless. I digress. But for whatever reason, some people cannot wrap their heads around when something helps and is a waste of time. It's all or nothing in their brain.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:33 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
S
It was a matter of time before an antiviral cocktail actually worked. No, not hydroxychloroquine. Rather Paxcovid.
I like the name Paxcovid, too bad they didn't go with it, but instead did Paxlovid

Anyways, you think Paxlovid works? >10% of people rebound on it including high profile cases like Fauci, Jill and Joe Biden.

And self reports indicate that the rebound is usually worse than the initial round. I think it's safe to take nothing at all. As you said, it's Cold-like so why take a drug for the cold?

Old 09-07-2022, 09:53 AM

17,639 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So that we don't modify history too much, let's go back in time.

THE best thing that ever happened with COVID was when it mutated with a cold virus https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...us-2021-12-03/ . Because of it, it became the Omicron variant. It was much more transmissible and multiple times milder. It was much less mild because the Omicron/cold variant reproduces up to 70 times faster in the upper respiratory tract, while at the same time being much slower to reproduce in lung tissue. So the virus is more easily transmitted. For most, it's mild (between a cold and mild grade flu).

Contrast with people were dropping like flies, getting long COVID with more severe symptoms, and people were overwhelming our hospitals. On a personal level, my non-vaxxed naysayer brother got the pre-Omicron variant. He ended up in the hospital and out of work for 4 months. It was touch-and-go for a while. I can go one with another dozen stories. Our ER doc son saw the initial rounds of COVID up and personal as he was overwhelmed and overworked. Once the vaccine was out and available to everyone, that changed the math and strategy and I posted accordingly. Therefore, many of the restrictions should have been lifted post vaccine release. And especially once Omicron was set in motion.

Early on, quality, well-fitted masks worked! No, not 100%. It's always been about the total viral load. Yet some people with a political bent were busy convincing themselves that they don't help, the vaccine was more harmful than it was (and YES, there were real side effects).

It was a matter of time before an antiviral cocktail actually worked. No, not hydroxychloroquine. Rather Paxcovid. For me, it was always about waiting out the storm. And the storm has long passed. Currently, it's a nothing burger for 99.9% of the people walking the planet. Initially, it was a big deal for a lot of people (of course not everyone). And certainly, healthy children had nothing to worry about. But maybe not so much for their adult family.

I think parents had the right to make their own decisions. And without question, some school districts were out of line with their lockdowns. While masks work (don't be dumb and parrot your political views), but obviously kids being in the same room all day long makes the benefit of wearing a mask semi-meaningless. I digress. But for whatever reason, some people cannot wrap their heads around when something helps and is a waste of time. It's all or nothing in their brain.
Sigh.

Masks do not work, as decades of research and two years of recent real world data shows.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:02 AM

9,745 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I like the name Paxcovid, too bad they didn't go with it, but instead did Paxlovid

Anyways, you think Paxlovid works? >10% of people rebound on it including high profile cases like Fauci, Jill and Joe Biden.

And self reports indicate that the rebound is usually worse than the initial round. I think it's safe to take nothing at all. As you said, it's Cold-like so why take a drug for the cold?
LOL on my spelling.

A month ago, we were at a get together and two of the hosts kids were sick. Their parents never tested them. We tried to stay clear but we didn’t want to be rude and leave. If it was Delta, we would have gotten the Hell out of their house. I digress… But with a wedding around the corner and a 3 week cruise in October, I kind of wanted to get it over with. Plus, I didn’t want to get a booster shot if possible (still worthy but not beneficial for Antibodies) And COVID (for rational people) is better than a booster anyways.

My wife got COVID for the 1st time. 4 days later, I got COVID too. I had Paxlovid in anticipation. I woke up with some sore legs. I tested negative. It moved to my whole body by the end of the day. Again, I tested negative. The following morning, I had chills and a small fever. I finally tested positive and had the slightest 2nd line. With pills in hand, I started Paxlovid. Inside of 24 hours (or 2.5 total days sick), I felt 100%. As in, I still tested positive (slightly darker lines) and I felt 100% good. I walked 7 miles that day including a mile-long jog and 6 miles the following day. On both days, I still tested positive. By the 4th day on Paxlovid, I tested negative.

The theory is that the rebound has to do with not crushing the levels down. In my wife’s case, she didn’t get Paxlovid in her system until well over 24 hours. And her home test turned immediately dark (evidentially she got a heavy virus load). In her case, she slept for 20 out of 24 hours for three days, had the worst sore thought of her life, etc. She rebounded with a slight sore throat AND re-tested with the slightest light line. When (not if) I get COVID again, and if it is bad (a big viral load), I am going to have an extra pack and take it for an extra day or two. Hence, no rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies