Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 02:05 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
and the crazy thing is, they will simply not allow themselves to say "We were wrong"

They're not even a union, the the leader of the NC Teachers Assn did this:

https://twitter.com/twkelly_EDU/stat...41411389325317

she retweeted, when this damning report came out last week, her claim from March 2021 ... which is when NC was struggling with the larger school systems letting kids back in ... most were closed to in-person until March 2021.
she retweeted that tweet?
an utter idiot.

Quote:
Tamika W. Kelly
@twkelly_EDU
Psssssst....

"Learning loss" is a false construct.

There.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 02:31 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
and the crazy thing is, they will simply not allow themselves to say "We were wrong"

They say stuff like "it was true at the time."

No.

No it wasn't.

You thought it was true. It was never true.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:01 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
The discontinuity of these past 2-1/2 years will have a long tail, but I'm hopeful that they children will catch up. It will take a lot of hard work on the part of educators and parents to get them ready for college and/or career.
It will take a lot of hard work on the part of parents. "Educators" are too busy teaching our children to be racist, to be misandrists, and to be accepting of pedophiles and boys in the girls locker and shower rooms. Instead of, you know, educating. The more home-schooled kids I'm around, the more impressed I am with how much more mature, responsible and better educated they are than the typical student in the pubic school industry.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:51 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
They say stuff like "it was true at the time."

No.

No it wasn't.

You thought it was true. It was never true.
Right. For their kind truth is fluid and can be whatever they want it to be at the time.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:48 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I read that, too. How shocking for a progressive to admit progressives were wrong. Our C-D friends on the left should read it and learn from it. I’d love to hear what Suzy and Finsty think about that article.
I know you think you’ve got me all figured out, mate, but nah.

I’ll repeat, once it was found that children did not suffer adverse effects from the virus (for the most part) I was not in favour of prolonged school closures. Initially, when the virus was more deadly and it made sense for people to isolate, obviously it made sense to close schools because 1) who was going to teach them and 2) a lot of people at risk were actually parents themselves, and while shutting things down were not ideal - options were limited. At the time, I remember posting a stat of around 120,000 children had lost one or both parents to the virus, which was IMO, worse than missing school.

I have never been for masking under 12, certainly not for toddlers, and I am anti vaccine mandate.

I also emailed directly with my state’s minister for education about Covid restrictions once the kids went back. Some of them were absolutely asinine. There was already enough damage to the kids, and it had been proven by researchers in my state that kids were not harmed by nor carriers of the virus.

Also, as I said earlier, a lot of where I live was relatively normal during much of the pandemic, due to border closures and other string measures that I have discussed ad infinitum in threads at the time. So some restrictions were good decisions, others not so much.

Here’s a couple of my posts from Julyish 2021, in the vaccine thread:

Quote:
That's good to hear. I'm genuinely happy for her. Listen this whole situation completely sucks for everyone.

We are really suffering here with the lockdowns, my poor 14 year old is distraught that they can't go to school, they also have learning disabilities and find the remote learning situation really hard.

There are no good options available to us. We either lockdown or spread the virus throughout the community and lots of people get really sick, including young people.

The vaccines may not be perfect, but letting Covid run rampant is not an acceptable alternative.

I'm not sure that you guys who have at least had the option of vaccinating early on in this mess realise just how lucky you have been, as a whole.
And:

Quote:
As I said, they did a study from July to August of Sydney schools and early childhood centres - AKA daycare (after the Delta outbreak) and concluded that children are poor virus vectors and are not getting sick.

The government commissioned the study at it was delivered via daily press conference by the NSW minister for education. They then announced school will be back face to face October 25 regardless of what else is happening with restrictions.

Masks in children under three are strongly discouraged and most definitely not recommended. They’re a choking hazard.

Children under 12 are exempt from all mask mandates.

We’ll see what happens.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I know you think you’ve got me all figured out, mate, but nah.

I’ll repeat, once it was found that children did not suffer adverse effects from the virus (for the most part) I was not in favour of prolonged school closures. Initially, when the virus was more deadly and it made sense for people to isolate, obviously it made sense to close schools because 1) who was going to teach them and 2) a lot of people at risk were actually parents themselves, and while shutting things down were not ideal - options were limited. At the time, I remember posting a stat of around 120,000 children had lost one or both parents to the virus, which was IMO, worse than missing school.

I have never been for masking under 12, certainly not for toddlers, and I am anti vaccine mandate.

I also emailed directly with my state’s minister for education about Covid restrictions once the kids went back. Some of them were absolutely asinine. There was already enough damage to the kids, and it had been proven by researchers in my state that kids were not harmed by nor carriers of the virus.

Also, as I said earlier, a lot of where I live was relatively normal during much of the pandemic, due to border closures and other string measures that I have discussed ad infinitum in threads at the time. So some restrictions were good decisions, others not so much.

Here’s a couple of my posts from Julyish 2021, in the vaccine thread:

And:
Schools closed here in March 2020. I thought it was OK for them to close at that point but when they didn’t re-open normally in August/September 2020 I thought it was crazy because we knew at that point which groups were most at risk and kids and healthy adults were not a part of that group. I thought it made sense to allow teachers who were at risk to work from home aka remote and be the teacher’s for the parents of kids who wanted their kids to stay home but allow everyone else to go back to normal.

I was surprised to see so many young healthy teachers fighting to stay home. I was surprised by how many people in general were on board considering what we knew by that point in time. Kids were going fully remote and in a few districts, hybrid, which many considered “reckless”.

By winter 2021 one or two local districts saw the damage and went fully in person, but also fully masked. Most stayed remote or hybrid. I know of kids who did not set foot in school at all that entire year due to decisions made at the district level or school level. The vaccine became available to teachers in March 2021 but many still fought to stay home. It wasn’t until Fall of 2021 that most schools went back to in person, but masks were still mandated until the Spring of 2022 in spite of people being able to get vaccinated. It was a fight to get districts to drop masking.

I don’t know what things were like where you live but it was a full school year plus a couple of months of very abnormal schooling and another year on top of that of forced masked schooling. Some kids are still wearing masks because they got used to hiding behind them. I don’t know what districts did with thier covid money but I haven’t seen any evidence that they are using it to help kids catch up or use it to help kids in any way who were impacted by these disruptions.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:22 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Really just shows you how far behind many of our government institutions are with keeping up with technology.
Companies were able to switch to remote with no issues. Colleges were able to cope better because they already had online class setups.
Schools had to scramble. Other government offices just shut down completely.

Government agencies are way behind the curve here.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:23 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
There was an avalanche of media portraying opening the schools as some kind of crazy, risky adventure. “ Trump pushes and threatens in bid to fully reopen schools ,” blared a Washington Post headline in July 2020. Politico’s headline posited that Trump had ulterior motives: “Trump wants to reopen schools. Hint: It's not just about education.” But no education-loving Democrats stepped in to agree with Trump anyway. No other reopening was treated this way. Only children, the least vulnerable to the virus, were targeted in this fashion.
How Democrats sabotaged schoolchildren

Old 09-10-2022, 06:12 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Schools closed here in March 2020. I thought it was OK for them to close at that point but when they didn’t re-open normally in August/September 2020 I thought it was crazy because we knew at that point which groups were most at risk and kids and healthy adults were not a part of that group. I thought it made sense to allow teachers who were at risk to work from home aka remote and be the teacher’s for the parents of kids who wanted their kids to stay home but allow everyone else to go back to normal.

I was surprised to see so many young healthy teachers fighting to stay home. I was surprised by how many people in general were on board considering what we knew by that point in time. Kids were going fully remote and in a few districts, hybrid, which many considered “reckless”.

By winter 2021 one or two local districts saw the damage and went fully in person, but also fully masked. Most stayed remote or hybrid. I know of kids who did not set foot in school at all that entire year due to decisions made at the district level or school level. The vaccine became available to teachers in March 2021 but many still fought to stay home. It wasn’t until Fall of 2021 that most schools went back to in person, but masks were still mandated until the Spring of 2022 in spite of people being able to get vaccinated. It was a fight to get districts to drop masking.

I don’t know what things were like where you live but it was a full school year plus a couple of months of very abnormal schooling and another year on top of that of forced masked schooling. Some kids are still wearing masks because they got used to hiding behind them. I don’t know what districts did with thier covid money but I haven’t seen any evidence that they are using it to help kids catch up or use it to help kids in any way who were impacted by these disruptions.
Yeah that’s absolutely crazy I agree. After the first wave of Covid, May/June 2020 schools here reopened because we were able to keep transmission numbers very low, due to border closures. School was mostly normal, no masking - visitor restrictions were in place - until July 2021 when inevitably virus got out in to the community and schools were restricted, until October. In October the vaccine rate was so high pretty much all Covid restrictions were dropped. After the school summer break (Dec-Jan) kids went back in Feb and it’s been pretty normal since.

Schools were never completely closed though. They remained opened for kids whose parents worked outside the home.

It’s quite shocking how long schools closed for in parts of the US and masking of kids is ridiculous. I saw some posts from some teacher friends of mine in the US of kids doing music class masked and it broke my heart. Completely stupid, no need for it whatsoever.

Here they opened schools as soon as possible. For all sorts of reasons, but one being that unless the community is in emergency stay at home status and pretty much everyone is home with their kids, schools needed to open. And we knew by then that kids weren’t at risk.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:24 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It will take a lot of hard work on the part of parents. "Educators" are too busy teaching our children to be racist, to be misandrists, and to be accepting of pedophiles and boys in the girls locker and shower rooms. Instead of, you know, educating. The more home-schooled kids I'm around, the more impressed I am with how much more mature, responsible and better educated they are than the typical student in the pubic school industry.
We must be meeting different kids. While a portion of home school children have adapted well, most of the ones I've met are socially awkward. Frankly, some of the parents I met are too damn dumb to teach. In the spirit of balance, some teachers are not-so-smart too. There is a reason for that socially awkward stereotype. Most on-the-job training parent "educators" home school in order to shield their kids from other opinions and to finish shoving their version of make-believe religion down their kids throats.

I'm agnostic. And I sent our kids to Sunday School. Why not? Educate your kids on different opinions and counter opinions. I also encouraged our kids to study multiple religions. There isn't enough time in the day to study all 4,000 religions. I suspect that we agree that 3,999 religions are B.S. We are only disagreeing on one.

If you know how to parent, then you sit down with your kids and let them know why there are many views, and let them know that just because an adult tells you something (even a teacher), think and study the topic yourself. Ask your kid what they learned at school today. I would explain why it's not a good idea for boys and girls to be confused about their sexuality. And what problems develop when rotating bathrooms happen. Or why you shouldn't feel guilty about being white all the while acknowledging we had and are still living in a racist society.

You know, learn how to parent! Option 2: play the white (trash) victim and listen to your dog-whistling ex-Prez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies