Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 05:58 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The meaning of Turkey (the country) and turkey (the bird) absolutely change by capitalization. MissTerri thought she had a "smoking gun". IMO, "One and done" is nothing more than marketing. J&J had because it was considered an inferior product. Nothing more, nothing less. Later, it was learned that it was a lot better by having "two and done" like the rest of them. And then later, the mutations == only strong antibodies work. So it was "three and done". lol

We should stay on topic. I wonder if some posters' kidlets suffered with their test scores while their moms were busy arguing on a forum for months?
The kids who suffered the most were poor kids. Do you even care that kids suffered and struggled both educationally or emotionally? This seems like a joke to you. Or just an opportunity to let your true colors shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 06:01 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The kids who suffered the most were poor kids. Do you even care that kids suffered and struggled both educationally or emotionally? This seems like a joke to you. Or just an opportunity to let your true colors shine.
I was talking about your smoking gun. All of a sudden, you concluded that I don't care about poor kids? No wonder you mess up on the meaning of words. If I remember, I think I posted something like this:
Quote:
Back to the topic at hand. If I had a young family in grade school (I would be younger too), I would be upset when schools taught via Zoom. I'd forgive older teachers or ones with health problems. Selfishly, I don't care. Quit. I'm pretty passionate about my kids doing well in school. So it seems we would be putting in some teaching hours.

To point out some more irony, some of the parents who are bitching the most on this forum certainly found dozens of hours to post during COVID. Maybe they should have been teaching their kids?!
It had to be extremely frustrating. I get it. Poorer kids often draw the short straw with the caliber of their parents. I grew up poor. I get it. Near zero guidance. I made damn sure my kids got a world-class education. I understand the realities.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I was talking about your smoking gun. All of a sudden, you concluded that I don't care about poor kids? No wonder you mess up on the meaning of words. If I remember, I think I posted something like this:
You seemed to get a good laugh out of your comment about kids struggling and suggested that it was because their moms posted on CD. The kids who struggled the most were poor kids. It was really difficult for kids and families. Kids really did struggle educationally. Many will struggle for years due to getting so far behind. Others struggled with depression. It’s not a joke. Your laughter does show disregard for kids, especially poor kids who were harmed the most.

It reminds me a lot of how people acted while this was happening. People who spoke up were mocked an ridiculed by people like you, in this same way. Turns out those of us who spoke up were right.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Working class parents were homeschooling before covid hit. One mom I talked to said it only took about two hours per day to cover what her elementary aged daughter needed. She could spend more time on some subjects and less on others.

The real problem is that some working class parents are poorly educated themselves and have never been involved in their children's education. It would be hard for them.
Some working class parents homeschooled, many did not or could not. Rich parents hired tutors. It’s been proven that poor kids were hit the hardest by school closures, something that was predictable from the start Many kids will struggle for years to try to catch up. Many more won’t ever catch up.

Many single parents and especially single working poor parents don’t have time to homeschool even if they are intelligent and capable. Many of their kids were likely left home alone because mom had to work.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Oh what a clever comment. so it’s the parents fault authoritarian governors and teachers unions decided to close schools for longer than they ever should have been. meanwhile in the next breath we talk about all the essential hero workers that couldn’t stop working and on top of that all the trauma that our kids had to go through by not having their routines in place, both socially/emotionally and academically. so it is a little bit more complicated than “parents don’t do their job” anyone with a school aged kid knows the truth. i saw it with my own eyes, zoom school was a complete joke.
Perfectly stated.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The teacher unions who advocated for continued closing despite the SCIENCE and DATA should be ashamed -- but, as most of them are libs [based on the countless articles I've read, they won't be.

It truly angers me how selfish these people are to put their own desires ahead of the needs of their children. and especially because the lowest-performing students who are disproportionately Latino and black -- the very children that the libs shed so many tears over, figuratively speaking. These kids (the poor and/or those who aren't white or Asian) are the kids who suffered the most from the closures, and they will continue to suffer the most because of the selfishness of so many teachers and school administrators.

I truly don't know how some people can live with themselves.
Excellent post. I couldn’t agree more.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:45 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
The left: anything that negativity impacts America, will disproportionately impact people of color.

Also the left: let’s shutdown the world for 2.5 years over a 99% survival rate virus.

Is it no wonder crime is out of control, students are more ignorant, inflation is up, cost of living is up. Global supply chains are disrupted. We’re about to head into a recession.

What did the left think was going to happen? That you can just shutdown and start up the economy like a light switch? Monkeypox! Ebola! Better shutdown the world!

What is the criteria for shutting down the world over a pandemic? Well it sure as hell isn’t a 99% survival rate virus. How many billions were spent on bailing out businesses with PPP loans? The chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You seemed to get a good laugh out of your comment about kids struggling and suggested that it was because their moms posted on CD. The kids who struggled the most were poor kids. It was really difficult for kids and families. Kids really did struggle educationally. Many will struggle for years due to getting so far behind. Others struggled with depression. It’s not a joke. Your laughter does show disregard for kids, especially poor kids who were harmed the most.

It reminds me a lot of how people acted while this was happening. People who spoke up were mocked an ridiculed by people like you, in this same way. Turns out those of us who spoke up were right.
My joking around was not aimed at kids. Rather, it was aimed exclusively at your logic on many fronts. I'll be more specific. If a parent claimed they didn't have enough time to help their kids learn while they logged hundreds of posts on C-D that was meant to be a wake-up call. I was pointing out the irony.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
Rich parents sent their kids to private schools. They either picked back up the end of the '19-20 year or started with in-person on schedule in fall '20. And by Jan '21, the ones where I live were all maskless if not before then.

I'm sure I *could have* done more for my high schooler in 20-21, when the school system announced they were staying online. I mean, what happened to end the last months of '20 was a joke, but I don't really blame the teachers too much...except that we found out the schedule was a 30 minute "class" not 1:20 and all they had to do was log on. It took 4 weeks for 1 teacher to email us to ask if the kids was OK because she hadn't been turning in the banal assignments that she thought she had.

The only problem with me "doing better" is the high schooler was taking biology and advanced algebra, chemistry and pre-calc. And even though I have a college degree and did well in those subjects in high school, it's been so long since I needed 95% of it I would have to re-learn it myself too.

And then you add that there are different types of learners. We are "social animals" and thus MOST children learn better, advance further, when they do so in community. But yes, there are a % of introverts etal that do learn better outside the influences of community ... and they surely did just fine with online learning.
The paragraph in bold struck a chord. My kids are in their late 20's and early 30's. So our family didn't have to deal with COVID and all of the distant learning nightmares. But there came a time in HS when I just couldn't add value without relearning several chapters. Initially, I took it on as a challenge and rallied. I remember one time when our daughter had some chemistry titration problems that I painfully relearned. But that was the last set of problems that I dug into. I had to toss in the towel after that. There is no need to beat yourself up on that one.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
My joking around was not aimed at kids. Rather, it was aimed exclusively at your logic on many fronts. I'll be more specific. If a parent claimed they didn't have enough time to help their kids learn while they logged hundreds of posts on C-D that was meant to be a wake-up call. I was pointing out the irony.
It was aimed at me, a mom who was speaking up for kids. Just an fyi, my kids did fine overall academically because I was able to work with them and help them. It was rough for them emotionally because zoom school is not normal and the isolation imposed on them was very difficult. I see how it impacted their friends as well. So many kids were struggling. Now we have data showing how badly it hurt kids both emotionally and academically. The masses who mocked parents who spoke up still don’t care. They’d rather continuing mocking.

I’m aware that you were just being rude just to be rude but your post was a great example of what people did during covid, including yourself to try to silence people for speaking up about restrictions, including school closures and the harm they were causing harm to kids. Especially poor kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies