Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 03:33 PM

13,496 posts, read 10,001,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
it's a matter of admitting when you were wrong.

We're all wrong from time to time, heck I've raised my daughters telling them I make mistakes every single day (since we're Christian I also tell them we sin every day).

I'm no anti-vaxxer nor even anti-masker - the royal you "should do what you want". Ergo, I'm anti-mandate.
Me too. I agree with you. And I do think we should admit when we’re w..w…wrong.

But let’s take this thread in particular about school closures having setback children’s education, which is what this is supposed to be about.

Suzy has point blank stated she did not offer an opinion on that at the time, either way.

I not think she is a liar, or that that should have offered posters the excuse to go off and re-litigate the entire vaccine debate, which is not actually what we were discussing.

There were some pretty out there posts at the time. I mean according to some, any of us that have been vaccinated should have haemorrhaged out and died by now.

I also don’t think people here who are doing the told you so dance are as right as they think they are.

There were extremes l over the place. Some people wanted to shut everything down indefinitely, some wanted to do absolutely nothing. Most people had opinions that changed over time as the situation mutated, no pun intended.

But one things for sure, it really exposed just how polar opposite we can be as a people. I’m not sure that as Gen Xers or Boomers we’ve ever had to band together through a global crisis in the same way previous generations did. Or maybe they didn’t either, and war efforts and stuff is just nostalgic PR. Anyway, I digresss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 03:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,785,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If J&J put their tagline "DONE" in capital letters, you might be on something. But they didn't. So you don't get to change their intentions. Now if the other vaccines said " Two and you are THROUGH!", then I'm with you.
Yes, the capitalization really changes the meaning of the word, done.

Old 09-07-2022, 04:03 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes, the capitalization really changes the meaning of the word, done.
Capitalization DOES CHANGE THE MEANING. So do bold words, underlining, etc.

In the end, J&J needed a 2nd shot to beef up the antibodies. So it wasn't "One and Done". Furthermore, here is what was discussed back in march of 2021: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/h...n-rollout.html

"Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot vaccine is allowing states to rethink distribution, even as health officials and experts worry some will view it as inferior....
As Johnson & Johnson’s production ramps up over the next few months, Dr. Kanter said the shot would allow his state to slash costs for staffing and operations related to the second doses: “The J & J vaccine brings a lot to the table."

That was the meaning ^^. As you see, no one (but you) was discussing "one and done" to mean the last vaccine that you will need for COVID-19.

Old 09-07-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Capitalization DOES CHANGE THE MEANING. So do bold words, underlining, etc.
No. Bolding really does not change the meaning of the word. Nice try though.

Quote:
In the end, J&J needed a 2nd shot to beef up the antibodies. So it wasn't "One and Done". Furthermore, here is what was discussed back in march of 2021: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/h...n-rollout.html
…. In the end. Try to stay on topic. We were talking about how vaccines were into tally promoted.

Quote:
"Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot vaccine is allowing states to rethink distribution, even as health officials and experts worry some will view it as inferior....
As Johnson & Johnson’s production ramps up over the next few months, Dr. Kanter said the shot would allow his state to slash costs for staffing and operations related to the second doses: “The J & J vaccine brings a lot to the table."

That was the meaning ^^. As you see, no one (but you) was discussing "one and done" to mean the last vaccine that you will need for COVID-19.
Nothing you quoted refutes that it was advertised as “one and done”.

This topic is about the damage of schools being closed for so long. Let’s try talking about that.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:21 PM

37,175 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
No. Bolding really does not change the meaning of the word. Nice try though.

…. In the end. Try to stay on topic. We were talking about how vaccines were into tally promoted.

Nothing you quoted refutes that it was advertised as “one and done”.

This topic is about the damage of schools being closed for so long. Let’s try talking about that.
You have provided no evidence that "one and done" meant no booster would ever be needed.

You are the one that initiated the "one and done" conversation, by the way.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You have provided no evidence that "one and done" meant no booster would ever be needed.

I was responding to a comment. This conversation has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness.

Quote:
The U.S. is getting a third vaccine to prevent COVID-19, as the Food and Drug Administration on Saturday cleared a Johnson & Johnson shot that works with just one dose instead of two.

Health experts are anxiously awaiting a one-and-done option to help speed vaccinations, as they race against a virus that already has killed more than 510,000 people in the U.S. and is mutating in increasingly worrisome ways.
https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/2...cine-approved/

Quote:
This has the benefit of only needing a single dose," Chakrabarti says. "And that's going to be huge. If you're going to essential workers in Brampton, a one-and-done is amazing."

Veillette says a single-dose inoculation can also help protect people like truck drivers or those experiencing homelessness, who may be harder to book for a second dose of another vaccine.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...cine-1.5403657

Care to share your views on school closings since that i the topic of this thread?

Old 09-07-2022, 05:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,685,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Working class parents work, they cannot teach their kids, they don't have time.

Epic fail by Democrats. These are constituents, you failed them.
But, like it or not, it's a fact that in March 2020 schools and universities were closed in Republican states, too, such as Oklahoma. Republicans shutting down small businesses for 6 weeks or so was also bad.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The meaning of Turkey (the country) and turkey (the bird) absolutely change by capitalization. MissTerri thought she had a "smoking gun". IMO, "One and done" is nothing more than marketing. J&J had because it was considered an inferior product. Nothing more, nothing less. Later, it was learned that it was a lot better by having "two and done" like the rest of them. And then later, the mutations == only strong antibodies work. So it was "three and done". lol

We should stay on topic. I wonder if some posters' kidlets suffered with their test scores while their moms were busy arguing on a forum for months?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-07-2022 at 05:54 PM..

Old 09-07-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I was responding to a comment. This conversation has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/2...cine-approved/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...cine-1.5403657

Care to share your views on school closings since that i the topic of this thread?
As your links suggest, "Health experts are anxiously awaiting a one-and-done option to help speed vaccinations, as they race against a virus that already has killed more than 510,000 people in the U.S. and is mutating in increasingly worrisome ways."

It's not tough to understand. They are saying, instead of waiting for the 2nd dose, one and done (a.k.a. one shot) "helps speed vaccinations". It's pretty simple.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But, like it or not, it's a fact that in March 2020 schools and universities were closed in Republican states, too, such as Oklahoma. Republicans shutting down small businesses for 6 weeks or so was also bad.
It didn’t seem crazy to close schools in the Spring of 2020 bur it did seem crazy when schools were still closed in the fall, the winter and the following Spring. Some kids missed more than a year of in person schooling. It was pushed by the teacher’s Unions and embraced more in left leaning states, cities and districts and even by our current president.

Kids also missed out on sports, band, theatre and just seeing friends in person. It had a major negative mental health impact. Kids who needed counseling had to do it via zoom.

Kids have also been the last group to have to deal with mask mandates. Adults were allowed to drop it before kids in spite of kids being much lower risk. In some place they are still masking preschoolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies