Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I dont believe marrying is a right. I believe access to to resources is a right. I dont think gays are denied rights by not being allowed to marry. I believe allowing them a legal union will give them access to resources to which they are not entitled

Separate but equal has been proven time and again NOT to be equal. Just look at our wonderful history of segregation. Are you supporting re segregating our public schools too? Cause after all this, that really would not surprise me.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
Quote:
Im willing to debate what a gay partner might be entitled to. I am not willing to just throw the door open without evaluating the financial consequences of such an action
What financial consequences? If the government didn't want all couples to enjoy the benefits of being in love, then there shouldn't be any.

And with that, I'm calling the troll card and exiting to the real world.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not that I contest, but could you show me what cultures practiced gay marriage? You know this to be a fact don't you? Surely you could provide a few examples where gay marriage as a state institution was openly accepted and condoned?

Many native american cultures, greek and roman culture, some old pagan cultures also allow for it.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Explain it to you for what, the 4th or 5th time

duh
Yeah, you'll have to explain it because what you're trying to say holds no merit. AGAIN, what resources will gay couples have more access to than heterosexuals? EXPLAIN YOURSELF CLEARLY because as of right now, it's all muffled gobbledygook.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:31 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Yeah, you'll have to explain it because what you're trying to say holds no merit. AGAIN, what resources will gay couples have more access to than heterosexuals? EXPLAIN YOURSELF CLEARLY because as of right now, it's all muffled gobbledygook.

I'm beginning to notice a pattern. He keeps repeating that he has explained himself sooo many times and then calls us idiots. He is clearly lying and saying these things over and over again to slime his way out of having to actually explain himself, for the very first time!!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
I'm beginning to notice a pattern. He keeps repeating that he has explained himself sooo many times and then calls us idiots. He is clearly lying and saying these things over and over again to slime his way out of having to actually explain himself, for the very first time!!
Yes, I suspect we've got a no brain troller here. What a waste.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
bryan - so you believe gay families should pay SS taxes and not be entitled to the same benefits as straight families?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM

90 posts, read 179,511 times
I hope that Bryan's non-response so far, to my post on page 12 means he's busy reading that article I linked to

Ya'll have a fabulous day

Old 07-30-2008, 04:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinswink View Post
I hope that Bryan's non-response so far, to my post on page 12 means he's busy reading that article I linked to

Ya'll have a fabulous day
Sure he is. Um the sky is green today.

You should try to be more civil. Your intolerance and insults are unbecoming of an aging hippie
Your bigotry and hatred of other human beings even moreso.

Quote:
It will add beneficiaries to SS that were not planned for and possibly didnt contribute. And its not just SS its all kinds of insurance, pensions and retirement plans that were put in place based on the marriage of a man and a woman with the purpose of protecting families
Why? If they were hetero, they would have been planned for? This makes no sense, no matter what logic you use. But if they were straight, they’d be counted? Why not just count on everyone being linked up? What model are you looking at?

Quote:
They can. If a gay man reproduces his child and that childs guardian are protected.

Not their gay partner
Then straight partners shouldn’t get it, either. Fair is fair.

Quote:
Now thats just vindictive and hateful
Your comments are more hateful than any others on the thread. You clearly think you’re superior to gay people. I sure don’t believe that for a minute. Just because you’re straight does not make you speshul.

Quote:
In the last 16 hours ive filled two threads with good reasons for denying gays the right to marry. You may not like it or agree but thats your problem
Hatred is never a good reason for anything. You clearly seem to be quite comfortable with it, though.

Quote:
Yes we can, we do and will continue to do so. You may not like it but its the reality today.

Two married couples will not be treated differently because in this country only a man and woman can be married
You know very well that California and Massachusetts both offer gay marriage. You’ve argued against it in other threads. Therefore you are knowingly making false statements.

Quote:
Because there is no possiblility of you and your gay partner biologically having a family
There’s no possibility of my partner and I having kids either. I had myself sterilized decades ago. Should I lose my status as well? That’s exactly what you’re saying here.

Are you reducing humans to breeding machines? That’s truly funny. Try reading The Handmaid’s Tale.

Quote:
I didnt say that. I say marriage is between a man and woman

**** if you cant make a resonable argument
Didn’t you make comments about me earlier? Let’s talk about that intolerance and insults that you threw about.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I, ScranBarre, am a 21-year-old gay American. I pay taxes. I work full-time. I attend school full-time in pursuit of a career as a CPA. I am active in local politics. I am registered with selective service for the military, which means, in other words, that I can be drafted into a foreign conflict against my free-will at a moment's notice even if I couldn't voluntarily enlist. I drive a fuel-efficient domestic sedan, work out daily, bleed red, and listen to Coldplay. I have received the Employee of the Month Award twice, volunteer to pick up litter, donate to a center that cares for mentally- and physically-challenged children, and shop for a needy family every Christmas so that they, too, can enjoy a day of happiness. I have a 3.5 GPA and a 1300 SAT. I live in the suburbs, just like most Americans. Gasp...I even attend church!

Was my point to brag? No. I wanted to merely illustrate that we "weirdos," as another member up thread referenced myself and my fellow members in the LGBT community as, also lead pretty normal, mundane lives. I highly resent the fact that as a gay person I am not only expected to pay the same taxes as everyone else, but I am also expected to lay my life down for a nation that treats me as a second-class citizen. There are many more "weirdos" out there than one would think. I may have been the only openly-gay male in my high school, but since advancing into college I've met many others not unlike myself, as well as having had the privilege of being the first "confidant" for those from my community who opted to finally "come out" and lift the huge burden off of their shoulders.

Pray tell, why shall I notice tomorrow that the check deposited from my employer into my checking account via direct-deposit is short a very large percentage that were provided towards our government's treasury, only to be redistributed to others who receive more privileges than I do? Let's see what causes more financial panic---the life partners of gays/lesbians drawing from social security, or, in a show of solidarity, all LGBT individuals in this nation, many of whom are quite affluent DINKS (dual-income, no kids), withholding their taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies