Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I feel embarassed that Democrats think that freedom is free.

I feel embarassed that Democrats in this country share a mantra of "What's government going to do for ME". Rather than what can I do for my country.

Do I feel embarassed that I live in a Red state ... and that I'm not as cool as homosexuals in New York? No, I live in a Blue state. The question supposes that I cling to my guns and religion in times of need. Irrational by Democratic elite standards.

I'm embarassed by the fact that my state votes for Democrats because the Unions here make them do so. The Unions are in bed with the redistributors. Ya know who doens't need anymore money?

Unions.
Live in NJ and then you can really be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed that the people of my state can't see through the b.s. and the candidate that has the most money wins.... Truly sad...

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 AM

37,229 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
When real conservatives once again gain control of the Party, they will again start winning elections.
I have been hearing this for twenty years now, and so far no "real" conservative candidate has come forth to run.

Is this because there are simply not enough "real" conservatives left to do anything at all but say "Wait until next time?".

Just curious.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm not embarrassed at all. I'm proud that my state is (generally) Republican. I AM embarrassed that the particular area I live in is largely DEMOCRAT. That's because we have a large population of Union people (Mills, most of which are now closed, Lordstown (GM plant), etc.) These people are pretty ignorant, and usually vote Democrat.

It's a shame that the Republicans right now are in such a mess, largely because they let the RINO types take over the Party. The current crop of Republicans in the House and Senate might as well be Democrats. McCain included.

When real conservatives once again gain control of the Party, they will again start winning elections.

The Democrats (liberals) are destroying the country, and the RINO Republicans are helping them.

The mortgage mess, resulting in the current recession, is the making of the Democrat party (starting with Jimmy Carter and the CRA and expanded by Clinton). Yet the ignorant voters kept them in power; not only kept them in power, they expanded their numbers!

Ignorance is our worst enemy. I hope we can recover.
Democrats have done a good job of shaping the spectrum so that it's easier for them to win than the GOP. They dominate with minorities, women, unions and other special interests (i.e. Teachers, Environmental Activists, etc.) As you note above, the liberal policies (while nice) are bad for the country. Once people start to see that, the GOP will gain ground. Unfortunately, there are so many people who are going to vote for Democrats based on social and other issues that they usually have the edge in most cases. If they raise entitlements, they can better their chances with the voters. I'd say many liberal policies are great for generating new and reliable votes but bad for the country at large.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:04 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,354 times
I did live in a Republican state once upon a time, not anymore....As I recall, Florida voted 4 BO.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
I live in the state that was in the forefront of the botched 2000 and 2004 elections and whose Republican legislature debated Truck Nutz last year. Embarassed? Uh...Yeah! But the embarassment ended on Nov. 4, 2008.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
I'm embarrassed by all the childish responses on this thread.

Except for HIF's response. Just cuz I love her!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I live in a red county in West Texas. I don't expect West Texas to ever become a stronghold of Democrats. However, I was surprised at how many votes Obama got in the last election. If the large cities continue to grow, the Rio Grande Valley continues to grow, and West Texas continues to lose population, Texas could become a blue state, but the western half will always be red.
By the way, I still am proud of my city, my county, and my state. I know it seems ironic that I can be a Democrat living here and be proud of this area, but I am. It is a great place to live. And, the conservatives here are more tolerant of others than some of the conservatives that I see on this board. They tend to just sort of roll their us at us who are not so conservative, pat us on the back, and go on. Good people. I really believe I am a centrist leaning left and that most of my county is centrist leaning right--some more right than others.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I live in the state that was in the forefront of the botched 2000 and 2004 elections and whose Republican legislature debated Truck Nutz last year. Embarassed? Uh...Yeah! But the embarassment ended on Nov. 4, 2008.
Florida has been an embarrassment for alot longer than that, and it has nothing to do with politics

Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 AM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
On the other hand some Democrats really think that every conservative is either a rich CEO or a bible holding wacko.
Don't look too far into the future, because as soon as every red state goes blue, all the blue states will go red...
Every conservative IS a bible toting whacko.

The blue states aren't going to be flipping red, but good luck with that.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Before you start doing this read first!

I’m curious to know- what is the atmosphere in states that usually go republican right now. Die hard republicans I know have come to grips with the fact that their party is basically a pathetic joke right now. They understand BUSH is not only the dumbest but the worst president in U.S. history and the new guy (or old guy) McCain is one heartbeat from biting the big one which will leave his unbelievable air-head side show joke of a VP to run the United States of America. (Scary thought – I know) “It must really be embarrassing to even insinuate you are a republican at this point I would think”.

I’m not looking to debate anyone (there is way too many ignoramuses’ on CD that will take this thread into left field for that) I’m just more so curious to know - is there anyone really with a sane mind or an above average IQ that would still vote republican after all that has taken place in our country, or are republicans in your neck of the woods starting to get the picture? Maybe you make over $250,000 a year and voting republican makes since for you even if it destroys the rest of your country.

Yes I’m voting for OBAMA and not just for the sake of change. I’ll put it to you like this I’ll take OBAMA the Harvard law review president and graduate with Einstein brains who defeated the heir apparent and fierce competitor in Hillary Clinton who is also very bright rather than 4 more years of an idiot who picks a VP that says her foreign policy expertise stems from the fact "she can see Russia from her back yard".

To add some humor to the conversation check out these hilarious parody videos of Sarah Palin, George Bush and John McCain. I love a good laugh so I thought I’d share.

Georg Bush Impersonation

YouTube - Saturday Night - Georg Bush Impersonation

SNL Tina Fey as Sarah Palin
Saturday Night Live - Couric / Palin Open - Video - NBC.com

CNN on Sarah Palin

YouTube - CNN Laughs It Up Over Sarah Palin Interview

David Letterman reacts to John McCain suspending campaign

YouTube - David Letterman Reacts to John McCain Suspending Campaign

Letterman night 2

YouTube - Letterman-McCain, night two cutup

The real interview - Katie Couric with Sarah Palin
One-On-One With Sarah Palin, CBS Evening News Anchor Katie Couric Interviews Alaska's Governor On The Ailing Economy - CBS News

OBOMA / BIDEN 08
This clip is very deep!

YouTube - Bad News
I'm not going to comment on your post other than that George Bush impersonation was probably the best I've ever seen. The guy is hilarious.

He also did a good Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies