Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
US aid to Israel (both economic and military) has never exceeded 4% of Israel's GDP, while a massive reduction or elimination of the aid would be felt, Israel is still very much a viable nation without US aid.
So I would think we (the US) can stop all aid, right? They don't need our $$$ as bad as our own citizens need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Israel's is rich because it has good relations with western nations and has become a devoloped in part because it was settled in part by educated middle class European and American Jews many of whom had ties to the countries from, which they had made the aliyah. As such they had or were able to quickly develop capital and skilled labor and from that create a sucessful economy based on foreign trade. This is also the reason Israel listens very carefully when the US and European Union tell them they should or should not do something. Imho this is also part of the reason Netanyahu is working so hard to get a Labor, Kadima coalition rather then just allying with the radical right wingers. It seems he knows that if he neglects the peace process he will lose the good will of the US to an extent and the EU more substantially and that could potentially harm Israel's foreign trade based economy.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
To tell the truth, I don't care if people express their anger or hate towards Israel. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, we live in a free society. What really annoys is when people try to rationalize their hate with twisted facts, half truths and ignorance. I prefer if people would say: I hate Israel.... for no reason. You can also hate Obama, Democrats, Republicans or rednecks. No need to justify. However, if do, know the facts.

As for US foreign aid, we would do better if we cut all aid for the next 3 years due to the economic recession.
Oberon, I'm a jewish american so I do have a soft spot for Israel and have family there as well but you hit the nail on the head.I totally agree that we should cut aid to ALL countries until we dig ourselves out even if it takes 3 years!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Heres a simple question to the OP...when we eventually get into a skirmish with Iran because of fear of them having nuclear weapons,who is going to be fighting alongside us? Will the palestinians be there or the Israeli's?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Heres a simple question to the OP...when we eventually get into a skirmish with Iran because of fear of them having nuclear weapons,who is going to be fighting alongside us? Will the palestinians be there or the Israeli's?
Lancet, you are quite naive. Let me save your time. Here is the answer:
What skirmish? Iran is entitled to have a nuclear arsenal of their own. Don't US (and Israel) have nuclear weapons?
US = Iran.
Once you get used to them, the Ayatollahs are actually quite nice... They are no worse then the POTUS... Religious extremism? No, we haven't heard about that... But we know the US is BAD!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Lancet, you are quite naive. Let me save your time. Here is the answer:
What skirmish? Iran is entitled to have a nuclear arsenal of their own. Don't US (and Israel) have nuclear weapons?
US = Iran.
Once you get used to them, the Ayatollahs are actually quite nice... They are no worse then the POTUS... Religious extremism? No, we haven't heard about that... But we know the US is BAD!
Naive,no.Besides my current job,I have been a cable contractor for years and some of my best friends in the industry were Turks,Libyans,and Saudi's to name a few.I judge each person as an individual and NEVER prejudge based on where they are from.The same holds true for Iranians but when I hear Ahmadenijad say numerous times that he's going to wipe Israel off the map that does make me question where our realtions will go from here.I don't fault Obama with trying to form relations and it never hurts to just have a sit down.The only question is how will they use their weapons?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
We also give alot of money directly and threu the UN to many arab sates who cheered when the twin towers were bombed ; harbor and support terrorist groups. Israel is a ally. Now which is the stupid move on our part?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:40 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Israel is a terrorist state and I hate it to the core. Bomb it into oblivion or cut off funding and wait until the "arab hordes" (to use the common stereotype) tears its citizens limb from limb. An eye for an eye, you know. I won't shed one tear because I'll be too busy telling my representative how to spend the extra windfall we'll be getting on infrastructure repairs and local improvements. Oh, and my best long-term relationship was with a rabbi so don't go calling me anti-semitic.

Iran only poses a threat to those who want war...and they'll get what they seek soon enough, even if it has to be manufactured to prove them right.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Many have wondered how Israel, a new country the size of New Jersey, with virtually no natural resources could achieve so much wealth and such a high standard of living, while other countries in the Middle East and Africa that have a full abundance of natural resources, such as oil, diamonds, gold, etc., are starving.

Read this, and you will see why.

WRMEA: U.S. Aid to Israel

All foreign aid goes to promote some goal of the donating country. In the case of Israel, we donate money so they are not screwed with by their loser Arab neighbors. Egypt, which for some odd reason you completely failed to mention, gets almost as much aid from us. So why aren't they wealthy? Jordan, another loser Arab nation not on your radar screen, gets a nice chunk of change to not screw with Israel. They're dirt poor too. Looks like the reason we are required to give aid to Israel is that their loser neighbors don't have enough sense to leave them alone.

U.S. Foreign Aid Summary

Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,949,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Israel would not last 2 days without U.S. Taxpayer dollars.
Many countries wouldn't last a day without U.S. protection and tax money. Remember we liberated France. Provisioned Berlin and supported west Germany until the Wall fell. Your tolerance of evil is what seperates you and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies