Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
A Republican governor once tried that tactic & the courts threw it out. That was the last time Hispanics ever voted Republican in California & one reason the GOP is so impotent\ crippled here [no big loss
Republican Governor....of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
It may have been Davis, so if I'm wrong about which governor is responsible then I'll stand corrected, but one of them approved $36 billion in spending for insurance benefits and medicare for illegal immigrants, which nearly bankrupted the state and has had horrible repercussions. State employees are making minimum wage now. You're right in that the state can't control the flow of illegals into the country but it would help if they didn't entice them with free insurance and other benefits that most actual U.S. citizens can't even afford.
It's not an enticement but merely a recognition that all these people need the basics of care [schooling\ medical treatment\ housing]. Otherwise it would be chaos & a danger for others. That's why giving driver licenses to the undocumented helps all Californians [including insurance coverage]. Once the immigrant is here it is the federal government's duty to take care of the situation. Yes, we do provide services other state's don't but only because the federal government under Bush did nothing. President Obama will finally resolve this huge problem.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you are a Lincoln hater, too? The truth is sickening
Why do you love Lincoln?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why do you love Lincoln?
I don't even hate President Bush [now the Dick Cheney is another thing all together

Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 PM

Didn't ask that,asked why you love Lincoln.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 PM

491 posts, read 886,655 times
Quote:
It's not an enticement but merely a recognition that all these people need the basics of care [schooling\ medical treatment\ housing]. Otherwise it would be chaos & a danger for others. That's why giving driver licenses to the undocumented helps all Californians [including insurance coverage]. Once the immigrant is here it is the federal government's duty to take care of the situation. Yes, we do provide services other state's don't but only because the federal government under Bush did nothing. President Obama will finally resolve this huge problem.
I'm very much a liberal, but this is one issue I'm NEVER EVER going to agree with you on. It has affected members of my family very personally, and without going into all the painful details of that, let's just say that when you're a member of the educated working class, which I am, you get the shaft from affording these things to illegals.

Bottom line: Illegal immigration is still ILLEGAL. Criminals give up their rights when they are convicted of a crime, so why should we give illegals rights while we snatch them away from hard working U.S. citizens.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
President Obama will finally resolve this huge problem.
How will he do this & how will CA keep from going bankrupt ? Higher Taxes ?

I think the nation would like to know.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
I'm very much a liberal, but this is one issue I'm NEVER EVER going to agree with you on. It has affected members of my family very personally, and without going into all the painful details of that, let's just say that when you're a member of the educated working class, which I am, you get the shaft from affording these things to illegals.

Bottom line: Illegal immigration is still ILLEGAL. Criminals give up their rights when they are convicted of a crime, so why should we give illegals rights while we snatch them away from hard working U.S. citizens.
I'm in complete agreement with you.

It used to be that immigration laws actually meant something. Anyone who was in the country illegally wouldn't have DREAMED of demanding ANYthing--because the law was the law. The current crop of illegal immigrants--and the politically correct liberals who enable them--have simply proved that we no longer live in a nation committed to the Rule of Law. In fact, according to these people, anybody who comes to this country illegally should be accorded rights and be given a path to citizenship. In essence: stripping the sovereignty from our borders, and simply rejecting the law. I find it remarkable, to say the least.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:

I'll agree with you here. We are building a home and less tha 5% of the people I've seen working on the house is from the US. All those framers, roofers, concrete workers... those should be jobs that belong to US citizens.

Why give work visa's to people from India to come here & take the technology jobs at half a wage ?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Didn't ask that,asked why you love Lincoln.
If you need to ask an American why he should love President Lincoln than I know already that you are not looking for an answer but just another petty reason to support Confederate hate! Get over the Civil War! Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies