Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I was talking to a very close friend, who happens to be Native American. She said she is all for tougher immigration laws and sending people back to their native lands. She just wants to make it effective 1420 AD.
NICE!!!!!!!!!

Will someone wake me when Texas becomes the Confederate Nation of Texico. We'll need to be quick to seal that northern border. We dont want traitor disease spreading like something on I Am Legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
She has lived all over the place and visited all over. Don't even begin to put someone down who is a lot more cultured than someone who probably hasn't left Texas.
This coming from someone who almost everyone thinks has not left the NYC metro

Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Actually, chielgirl seems to be on the right track here. Secession would mean that, besides losing its US military bases and federal monies, the state would have to: institute its own postal service, maintain its own roads, its own school system and its own borders, maintain its own bridges and railway systems, institute its own systems for commerce and banking, accept responsibility in the event of tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires and other "Acts of God," accept taxation on produce or other exports to the remainder of the United States, maintain its own militia (there would be no federally-assisted National Guard), obtain visas and work permits to operate outside of Texas, pay for permission to utilize U.S. airspace. It would be a blow to tourism, as loyal Americans wouldn't be much interested in visiting and people from other countries would presume that they aren't welcome there. According to the poll posted, it would be incumbent on 18% of the population of Texas to accomplish all of this, with no federal assistance. There would no longer be an influx of people from other states, because most Americans simply don't put their home states above the country as a whole. In fact, there would be a mass exodus of
people who are either minorities or moderates...even Republicans who would be repulsed by the idea of not being Americans anymore.
There was a time when talk of treason was considered unpatriotic; the fact that this issue has even been mentioned is a blight on our country. The same people in Texas who wanted all who protested the Vietnam war
to be rounded up and incarcerated would do well to remember that that
cuts both ways. Let them reap the consequences of their actions, while
less self-interested Americans work on rebuilding America. And BTW, the
massive failure of FEMA after Hurricane Katrina happened under the watch
of a "Texas businessman." Heckuva job, indeed.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
This coming from someone who almost everyone thinks has not left the NYC metro

lol nice try, I played college hockey in Maine, and I've traveled to many different countries. Going to Greece and Turkey for my honeymoon in July So don't even go there.

And here's yet another stalker I have...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
People don't come here and "take" jobs.
It's your wonderful "free market" working.
Immigrants tend to take jobs others don't want or want to be paid more to do. Are you willing to clean toilets in a Red Roof Inn? Do fieldwork?

You're against unions, aren't you?

You're just using immigration as a bogeyman. The real issue here is US business practices.
Total BS.. And I mean TOTAL

Free markets take place when we allow them to, since the government is not deporting the illegals, its not a free market, its a global marketplace.

Would I be willing to clean toilets or fieldwork? No, but you can bet your ass that someone who doesnt have a job and needs to feed their family will. Oh I forgot, we'd rather pay lazy asses to sit at home and allow illegals to clean toilets because americans are to good for this job.

Tell my mother in law, who's actually cleaned for 25 years that she's on par will illegals because she was willing to jobs that we americans are to good to do.. Yeah, she'll love to hear about how liberals consider her lower than illegals..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry fired up an anti-tax "tea party" with his stance against the federal government and for states' rights. Perry told the Austin crowd Wednesday that officials in Washington have abandoned the country's founding principals. During his speech to hundreds in a U.S. flag-waving crowd, there were several shouts of "Secede!"

Perry suggested Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to secede from the union.

Governor Says Texans May Want to Secede From Union But Probably Won't - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
Speaking of principals, perhaps texas could clean up abuse and fraud in house?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_...ct_controversy

The subject of principles, this character displaced Ron Paul (tax reformer) from office, voted into office by... the fine upstanding citizens of Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_DeL..._investigation
http://www.moderateindependent.com/v1i3news4.htm

http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=6086 (broken link)
Quote:
In 2001, the Texas Legislature was unable to come to an agreement over a redistricting plan, so one was imposed by federal judges. Unhappy with the plan, Texas Republicans, backed by U.S. House majority leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas), introduced a new plan in the regular session of the 2003 Texas legislative session that would have changed the Democrats' 17-15 majority to a 20-12 Republican majority.

In the middle of the night on May 11, 51 Democrats fled the state in order to break quorum on the redistricting vote. Speaker of the House Tom Craddick (R-Midland), using a little known legislative rule, issued special non-criminal warrants for the arrest of the missing Democrats, and the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) began a 36-hour hunt.
How much did it cost for the arm of the law to be wrongfully wielded against political opponents???

SO who are they really mad at, and why?
It's still someone else's fault, according to FOXnews suckups who are more than happy to fan the flames of misattributed blame to serve their own agenda. Freedomworks (anti social security insurance proponents) and and and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ww3DUxVEGg
Please note the typical talkinghead technique of asking a question, rudely cutting off the answer, and answering the question themselves the way they want their audience to remember the interview.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:01 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
This is such silliness. No state is going to attempt this much less pull it off. The issue was decided over 100 years ago.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
I am so glad you supported the decision to murder 660,000 americans on american soil. the democrat party needs good war mongers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This is such silliness. No state is going to attempt this much less pull it off. The issue was decided over 100 years ago.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I am so glad you supported the decision to murder 660,000 americans on american soil. the democrat party needs good war mongers.
Nobody ever said Southerners were quick learners.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
by southerners, I take it you are talking about yourself?

Mason-Dixon Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Nobody ever said Southerners were quick learners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies