Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 05:01 PM

573 posts, read 801,808 times

Advertisements

There are many possible variations which are based on economic, social, cultural, historical, and political ties.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
The fact that there are polls taking place and maps being drawn out about how a seperation of the country might take place means what? That the Gov of Tx is saner than those spending time disputing the issue?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Texas could be savior of Redneckistan, a place where prairie states meet the good-ole-boy South.

Place a reservation in my name for Redneckistan. Sounds like paradise to me. And probably contains about 65-70% of the military bases. Just come and try to take our guns from us then.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:17 PM

492 posts, read 962,258 times
So, are those challenging Perry's comment about secession just bored or has he really hit a sore place. Some reactions here push hilarity to its limits. It's like...

! ! ! ! IT"S MY CANDY AND YOU'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME ! ! ! !

Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Actually Idaho is making noises about state sovereignty....

Boise, Idaho News, Weather and Traffic - KTRV Fox 12 - Idaho Senate tells feds to back off (http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=10144156 - broken link)
sovereignty is different than suceeding... Washington State has also passed resolutions... it certainly does not involve our govenor going around the state talking about breaking away from the union...absurd

Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
"Idaho isn't coming out with outlandish claims of separating from the union"

Don't make me laugh!!! Maybe not at this exact moment in time, but I remember a time not too long ago when Idaho was supposed to be the new holy land for the White race. Maybe you forgot that?

Look, just because a few wealthy conservative fanatics with access to the media in a state of 23 million people are trying to stir up hate, that doesn't mean that they speak for ALL Texans. THAT... is what I'm saying.

If you want to hate Texas, fine. If you want to assume ALL Texans are like Perry and Bush, then I feel sorry for you that you are that ignorant and buy into stereotypes so easily. Perhaps I should assume that ALL Pacific Northwesterners are White-supremacist gun-toting lumberjacks? Sorry... I don't pass that kind of judgement on a region until I've actually been there and absorbed some local culture.
I've never said that... and for your information.. Idaho essentially banned and ran the white supremists out of the state... They only were here because there are places that are remote for them to hide from the law... its a simple as that..
I don't have any bone to pick with texas.. I just think claiming to want to separate from the union is bold and a slap in the face to the rest of us....
It's about respect for the union... not about stereotypes...I certainly never have implied or said that everyone in texas agrees with what the govenor is saying either.. so don't put words in my mouth and be a dick about it...

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
sovereignty is different than suceeding... Washington State has also passed resolutions... it certainly does not involve our govenor going around the state talking about breaking away from the union...absurd
It is interesting that all of these are non-binding resolutions which fully indicates that the state legislatures know full well that they have no stamp of authority whatsoever.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
There are many possible variations which are based on economic, social, cultural, historical, and political ties.
I think this amply illustrates the utter idiocy of this argument.

When the popular vote is charted based upon population this is what the map, economically, socially, culturally, and politically looks like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/2008CartogramElection.jpg (broken link)

Good luck gerrymanding your new nation(s).

Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It is interesting that all of these are non-binding resolutions which fully indicates that the state legislatures know full well that they have no stamp of authority whatsoever.
Several states are going further and passing such bills as MT with the firearms made within the state law...both AK and ID are considering such laws...

Old 04-17-2009, 06:47 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Looks like Governor Perry doesn't support the troops
secession would involve going to war against the US (remember the civil war)
and that would involve attacking US soldiers.
No, secession can (and should) be entirely peaceful. Only violent if the feds become violent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies