Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
True as far as Preston Hollow, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Lakewood, etc.

Oak Cliff, however, is still pretty shady, along with many other areas.

The inner-ring suburbs such as Garland, Richardson to a lesser extent, Irving, etc. (and more so the suburbs to the south like Lancaster, DeSoto) do have some poorer sections. The suburbs to the north though, especially in Collin County, are overall far wealthier than the City of Dallas is.

Plano schools may be becoming more minority, but the City of Plano is still predominately white. Even the members of the minority groups there are predominately upper middle class or higher income. They are wealthier Hispanics (but very few black). Plano has a large Asian population as well and Asians are actually overall wealthier than whites.

There are different parts of Oak Cliff and it is not considered South Dallas. North Oak Cliff for instance is very popular and has always had wealthy residents in Stevens Park and Kessler Park. Other areas are gentrifying such as Winnetka, Bishop Arts, etc. South Oak Cliff is predominently African American and a lot of them are middle class. Same with Kimball and Carter High School areas. The bad areas in this part of the world are usually filled with large aging apartment complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

491 posts, read 886,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Nobody ever said Southerners were quick learners.
Ah yes, let's assume all southerners are uneducated, backwards-thinking secessionists because of a few misguided posts on city-data! And let's assume all northerners are the well-cultured, fast-thinking lefties that a tiny few like to make the rst of us think they are.

YOU'RE BOTH WRONG. SHUT UP.

Wonk-wonk-wonk. It sounds to me like both sides would relish the idea of another civil war. Maybe I got the wrong message, but I thought what was supposed to make America great was it's diversity? I've lived in the south, the northeast, the southwest, the midwest, and now I currently reside on the west coast. Guess what? IGNORANCE IS EVERYWHERE, AND SO IS CULTURE!!!! (except maybe Las Vegas)

It's just sad, all this pointless bickering and "holier than thou" name-calling jive. And it's exactly the kind of cancer that's eating away this once-great nation. It just makes me feel like I don't really have a home, because the way most of you people talk, EVERYWHERE BUT WHERE YOU LIVE SUCKS. It's pathetic.

You can focus on differences, or you can focus on similarities... your choice. I'm just so bored with the endless unjustified stereotyping taking place on BOTH sides of this.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default I don't belong in the south

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Wow, because you're just too good for the South, right? Or, let's just discredit an entire city because of the geographical region in which it sits. Close-minded?
I am who I am and know who that is. I am a NE Liberal. The South is just plain not who I am. I like being around like minded people.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
She has lived all over the place and visited all over. Don't even begin to put someone down who is a lot more cultured than someone who probably hasn't left Texas.
Umm... go to my profile and see all the different places I've lived before you make your smug little assumptions, the same way TANaples did.

Jeez... do you people all have PHD's in Snob 101 or what?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
by southerners, I take it you are talking about yourself?

Mason-Dixon Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually I'm a southwesterner by heritage, but yes one branch of my family were southerners and owned a fair substantial number of slaves. The Mason Dixon Line really doesn't divide the north from the south. The Potomac River would be a better dividing line, though there was a lot of slavery in parts of Maryland.

Being born in an area doesn't mean you have to embrace it's backward attitudes and racism.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM

11 posts, read 14,030 times
Excuse my governer. He is an idiot!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston4 View Post
Excuse my governer. He is an idiot!
He's an Aggie, enough said.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
I was born in detroit. the only race I hate is the auto union race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually I'm a southwesterner by heritage, but yes one branch of my family were southerners and owned a fair substantial number of slaves. The Mason Dixon Line really doesn't divide the north from the south. The Potomac River would be a better dividing line, though there was a lot of slavery in parts of Maryland.

Being born in an area doesn't mean you have to embrace it's backward attitudes and racism.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There are different parts of Oak Cliff and it is not considered South Dallas. North Oak Cliff for instance is very popular and has always had wealthy residents in Stevens Park and Kessler Park. Other areas are gentrifying such as Winnetka, Bishop Arts, etc. South Oak Cliff is predominently African American and a lot of them are middle class. Same with Kimball and Carter High School areas. The bad areas in this part of the world are usually filled with large aging apartment complexes.
Yes I understand the apartment complexes are filled with problems.

And I never said Oak Cliff was South Dallas.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
boise is lovely..Most isolated large metro(500K+) in the lower 48! ... I moved here from seattle in 2005...and I certainly wouldn't ever go back.. and that's coming from a gay man.... so on that note....
what are you trying to say? Idaho isn't coming out with outlandish claims of seperating from the union... Only a place like texas would think so highly of itself... so I say... have at it.... bye bye
"Idaho isn't coming out with outlandish claims of separating from the union"

Don't make me laugh!!! Maybe not at this exact moment in time, but I remember a time not too long ago when Idaho was supposed to be the new holy land for the White race. Maybe you forgot that?

Look, just because a few wealthy conservative fanatics with access to the media in a state of 23 million people are trying to stir up hate, that doesn't mean that they speak for ALL Texans. THAT... is what I'm saying.

If you want to hate Texas, fine. If you want to assume ALL Texans are like Perry and Bush, then I feel sorry for you that you are that ignorant and buy into stereotypes so easily. Perhaps I should assume that ALL Pacific Northwesterners are White-supremacist gun-toting lumberjacks? Sorry... I don't pass that kind of judgement on a region until I've actually been there and absorbed some local culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies