Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 18,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I think what you're saying is that the quality of a neighborhood is a reflection of the quality of the people living there. I agree. The OP cites Blacks but its not because they are Black per se as there are many high quality Black neighborhoods. Also there are many White neighborhoods in poor shape.

The people in these neighborhoods are poor because they lack the intellectual capacity to produce even what they need to survive. This lack of intellect is what leads to the crime (inclucing vandalism), high school graduation rates and deterioration cited by the OP. These folks do not have the ability to carry their own water never mind police and fix up their neighborhoods. The government is already carrying them with respect to what they need to survive via welfare, food stamps, etc. Now the OP also expects the rest of us to fix up their neighborhoods, crack down on their miscreants and to somehow give them the intellectual capacity to graduate from high school.

The only thing I will give the OP as far as bringing race into the issue is that there are a larger percentage of Blacks in this situation than Whites with respect to their numbers. These folks cannot even produce what they need to survive. They must be supported by the rest of us with the ability to produce more than we need to survive. This, of course, we are doing. The only question is to what level or to what standard of living are we expected to raise them? Are we expected to lift them to the standard enjoyed by those of us who are producing more than we need to survive or is lifting them to the level of survival enough. That's the only debate.

- Reel

No the OP doesn't expect you to "fix the neighborhood up" persay, at least not in the way you seem to be suggesting (pouring money on the problem). No in fact you stumbled onto one of the big problems without realizing it. We SHOULD NOT be "carrying them with respect to what they need to survive via welfare, food stamps, etc". That's the problem! Democrat policies enable them to not better themselves and to not make a better life. Have you heard of the concept of an enabler? That is the reason that Democrat policies have not helped the black community enough in proportion to their one-sided voting. Also, I believe you are speaking "from the hip" without actual facts to back up what you are saying. There's a much higher percentage of white people in the U.S. so therefore a MUCH higher percentage of blacks living in neighborhoods that are in poor shape. And it's not true that republicans hate blacks or want bad things to happen to black communities. That's simply not true. True conservatives want everyone to be able to have a family and take care of their family and live in a nice neighborhood. For pete's sake republicans are about traditional values and protecting America and protecting our families. Blacks are welcomed with open arms, as are all Americans. What republicans don't like is unfair policies that give one person something that another person deserves. If I work hard and earn money, it is unfair for the government to give some of the taxes it takes from me to someone else because of their skin color. It is unfair for an employer to give a job someone other than the best candidate based on skin color. That's dicrimination in it's purest form. You cannot say that affirmative action is not discrimination. By it's very definition it is discrimination. It is wrong for one person to be accepted to a college because of their skin color, and another turned away because of their skin color. That's discrimination. And as I said before this is all enabling people to not do as well as they might otherwise do. This is the problem and this is why Democrats don't help struggling communities enough. The majority of poor people are fully capable of taking care of themselves. It's Democrat policies that enable poor people to NOT TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES and to not use their brain. For pete's sake you sound like you're saying blacks can't take care of themselves. Whose side are you on? Obama always talks about fairness and fair play. I'd like to see some fair play from Democrats one of these days. Taking money from people who worked hard for it is wrong. Taking opportunities away from people who worked hard and earned them is wrong. All of these policies are wrong wrong wrong. Nothing fair about it. Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Affirmative action is discrimination.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAGrip123 View Post
Do you think blacks would be where they are today if not for affirmative action?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 PM

Welfare enables (in fact even incentivizes) poor people to (1) not get an education (2) not build career (3) not do their best. You know what else? If you're on welfare and have a cell phone, cable, internet, a car loan, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, go to concerts, buy tatoos and t-shirts and hats, or buy candy and other trash, etc GUESS WHAT? You're a thief. You're cheating the system and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Those of us who work hard are being cheated. The time spent working to earn the money that went to someone who didn't really deserve it, is time STOLEN from the working person's life. You are stealing people's lives from them. Slavery is alive and well in this country. It's the hard working people (of all races) who are part time slaves to the lazy theives who take money that they don't really need. And guess what? It's a system that doesn't work. Just look at the financial crisis in Europe. They have too many entitlements. You can't just give more and more money away and not expect the system to fold.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Do you think blacks would be where they are today if not for affirmative action?
That's an interesting question. I think perhaps there was a time long ago when affirmative action made sense. Now it is pure discrimination. The best candidate should get the job. Explain to me the need for affirmative action.

So the short answer is No, I don't think blacks would be where they are without affirmative action. I think that initially it served a positive purpose, but I think now it only hurts blacks. What good does it do to put someone into a position they aren't qualified for? What the heck. We might as well just throw some money at them instead of putting them in a position they aren't qualified for, and quite frankly DIDN'T EARN.

What's funny about your comment though is that you didn't even address my comment. The reason you didn't ACTUALLY reply to my comment is because you know dang well that affirmative action IS dicrimination. Try to justify it. You can't because it's a double standard. It's wrong to discriminate against blacks and other minorities, but is perfectly okay to discriminate against whites? Whatever. Bunch of hipocrites.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,074,985 times
Quote:
That's an interesting question. I think perhaps there was a time long ago when affirmative action made sense. Now it is pure discrimination. The best candidate should get the job. Explain to me the need for affirmative action.

So the short answer is No, I don't think blacks would be where they are without affirmative action. I think that initially it served a positive purpose, but I think now it only hurts blacks. What good does it do to put someone into a position they aren't qualified for? What the heck. We might as well just throw some money at them instead of putting them in a position they aren't qualified for, and quite frankly DIDN'T EARN.

What's funny about your comment though is that you didn't even address my comment. The reason you didn't ACTUALLY reply to my comment is because you know dang well that affirmative action IS dicrimination. Try to justify it. You can't because it's a double standard. It's wrong to discriminate against blacks and other minorities, but is perfectly okay to discriminate against whites? Whatever. Bunch of hipocrites.
If it wasn't for what your people did hundreds of years ago, we wouldn't have needed. If we weren't denied opportunites based of our skin color, Affirmative action would not have been needed. You even acknowledge that without it, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
If it wasn't for what your people did hundreds of years ago, we wouldn't have needed. If we weren't denied opportunites based of our skin color, Affirmative action would not have been needed. You even acknowledge that without it, we wouldn't be where we are today.
Without slavery you wouldn't be where you are today. You'd be in Africa. It's a free country, you are welcome to leave if you want. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your line of thinking. You are not a slave and I am not a slave owner. History goes back much further than 300 years. Who knows what awful things your ancestors did. Perhaps they took other African tribes as slaves. Perhaps they cut people's heads off and other nice things like that. It's just a silly way to think and it only feeds hate.

My people huh? That's racist. You have no proof that any of my ancestors were slave-owners. You are judging me based on skin color. That makes you a racist. For all you know my ancestors helped free the slaves. You're really just making my point that it's reverse racism. Alot of my European ancestors came through Ellis Island, lived in slums, were discriminated against, and OBVIOUSLY never owned a single slave.

You're also being divisive. "Your people", "My People". If Americans stopped thinking in this manner it would be a better place.

Yes I acknowledged it - what's your point? I'm not saying we shouldn't have ever had it. I'm saying that now in present day America it is discrimination against white people. You still havent explained to me why it is still needed.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Against who?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Against who?
WOW. Are you kidding me? You have to be kidding. Isn't it obvious? What purpose does affirmative action serve? To ensure that a certain percentage of a companies employees are minorities, right? Isn't that the purpose? So that's discrimination against white people.

Don't any of you see the divisiveness of all this? This nighttrain guy acts like all white people are descendents of slave owners. Educate yourself! There's white Americans whose grandparents came over this century. There's white people whose parents came over from Russia or any other country where "white people" are found. There's white people who freed slaves and fought for human rights. This "Your people" thing has got to stop. It's ridiculous. Isn't the figure 20% black ancestry makes you categorized as black? that makes no sense. How about children with mixed race parents where one is born with white skin and his sibling with black skin. Are we to believe that one is black and the other is white?! Ridiculous. People are people. Lose the chip on your shoulder!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:21 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
WOW. Are you kidding me? You have to be kidding. Isn't it obvious? What purpose does affirmative action serve? To ensure that a certain percentage of a companies employees are minorities, right? Isn't that the purpose? So that's discrimination against white people.
White women qualify and benefit from affirmative action. In fact, white women make up approximately 50% of affirmative action participants.

Want to try again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies