Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand the premise. You seem to be suggesting that it's up to the Democratic Party to make the lives of all black people easier. That's not how it works. People have to take responsibility for their own lives. I don't remember the Democratic Party ever telling anyone that they would take care of their every need.
Read up on LBJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Read up on LBJ
LBJ the Democrat worked to give Black people the opportunity to be successful. I think you confuse opportunity with give. That is unless you believe Black people are unable to be successful when given the opportunity. However when given the opportunity to be successful the current POTUS was and now the Democratic Party is being rewarded for having given him the opportunity. Perhaps the Republicans should have been so forward thinking to have done the same with General Powell.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
What are you talking about guy?

I'm talking about the destruction democrats have wrought on the black community with their policies and your talking about something else entirely.
You seem to reflect a lack of understanding of the history of Black People in America and how the parties at different times have had histories of being both positive and negative. Do you really believe ethnic minorities have thrived in the South with Republican government? Is life really great for Black folk in South Carolina under their Republican Nut Job? Now you might think he is great but most Black Folk don't and the data from there would support their concern. Different strokes for different folks so stroke on to your beat and don't expect many minorities to join you. The Republican party in 2009 is what it is because of who it is.

It seems like a very happy tent. Small perhaps but happy. So that being said enjoy your political happiness as Democrats are and isn't the goal for all to be happy?
Sour grapes rarely attracts others to join you especially in a shrinking tent.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Read up on LBJ
I did is this the need for life and liberty you are attributing to LBJ? I mean is this a problem?
Civil Rights, 1964-1968 (http://faculty.smu.edu/dsimon/Change-CivRts2.html - broken link)
On June 19, 1964, the United States Senate -- after a lengthy filibuster and vote of cloture -- passed the landmark Civil Rights Act (see below). Three days later, it was reported that three civil rights workers, conducting a voter registration drive in
Nashoba county Mississippi, were missing. The workers were Andrew Goodman and Michael Shwerner of New York and James Chaney, a young local black man helping the two in the registration drive.

President Lyndon Johnson, as transcripts of his telephone conversations reveal, followed and actively oversaw the investigation. LBJ first talked to Senator James Eastland from Mississippi where the theme of a "hoax" was repeated:

LBJ: Jim, we got three kids missing down there. What can I do about it?
EASTLAND: I don't know. I don't believe there's three missing. I believe its
a publicity stunt. [see Michael Beschloss, Taking Charge, p. 432]
Johnson was also in constant contact with FBI Director, J. Edgar Hoover. He prodded and questioned Hoover on the FBI investigation. Initially, the FBI found the car used by the three and, on August 4th, found their bodies buried in an earthen dam. The three had all been shot.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Without getting involved trying to list all the many programs, acts and laws that have been a blessing to millions over the years, let me remind you that Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell were Affirmative Action beneficiaries.

Maybe you all are still mad about Brown v Board of Ed. Or is it Title VII of the CR Act? Or maybe it's just those damn civil rights themselves.
1) Granted that Affirmative Action may have helped Powell and Rice get into the door, both of them (and many others) hauled ass and did their work once they got in, so I wouldn't credit just AA as the main reason why they succeeded.
2) There are certain that the Democrats DID, note the word DID, back in the 1960s! I never recalled having AA help me to get some leg up on the competition to get some high-end financial position or even a friggin entry-level internship, just the same old "it's who you know, not what you know" bullsh*t insode politics game! What I can remember is the liberal dems promoting welfare and food stamps to blacks, and hence contributing (not necessarily creating - I'll give my ultimate blame to the media suits who are probably Post-Civil-Rights Republicans - but contributing) to what would become the "Hood Culture" that I had the pleasure of being brought into and being stuck with for the earlier part of my life! So thanks a lot for that! I'll remember all the fun I had as a kid dealing with other blacks who bought into the welfare/hood culture and giving me sh*t for not doing the same and being "black enough" once I get out in the world. I'm in no way siding with the Republicans on this issue, but the Dems really need to stop giving themselves too much credit, and in reality, should have just stuck with improving Civil Rights and job opportunities!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
who is responsible for the current state of oakland. who cheers when police are gunned down? who parades for murderers that kill police. who do i know in san francisco that does not know somebody mugged or raped in oakland. please dont pin the tail on the donkey. oakland does not have a political financial racial problem. oakland has a violence problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
My question is, do Democrats actually care about the demographic that consistently votes for them?
As much as it pains me to say it, most politicians care only about their coming re-election or next higher office.

Quote:
Are they doing this on purpose? Because it really seems so. To go 40 years voting for a party and have little to show for it would probably make me question my voting patterns.
I think they're kind of like all too many pet owners. As long as they provide ample food and water they think they're doing a fine job.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Why Do Democrats Treat Blacks So Bad?
because they had the nerve to leave the plantation.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
who is responsible for the current state of oakland. who cheers when police are gunned down? who parades for murderers that kill police. who do i know in san francisco that does not know somebody mugged or raped in oakland. please dont pin the tail on the donkey. oakland does not have a political financial racial problem. oakland has a violence problem.
Who is responsible, well in the most immediate sense, those who commit crimes but in a large societal sense, the policies of conservatives both Republican and Democratic, who for the last 35 years have diligently worked to undermine every program and policy proposal to bring economic opportunity to the poor and working classes. It has been the responsibility of arrogant corporations who ignored the rise of economic competition and help to dismantle the American manufacturing sector and for seeking short term economic profits instead of pursuing policies of long term economic security.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Who is responsible, well in the most immediate sense, those who commit crimes but in a large societal sense, the policies of conservatives both Republican and Democratic, who for the last 35 years have diligently worked to undermine every program and policy proposal to bring economic opportunity to the poor and working classes. It has been the responsibility of arrogant corporations who ignored the rise of economic competition and help to dismantle the American manufacturing sector and for seeking short term economic profits instead of pursuing policies of long term economic security.
So...you a re saying that instead of simply moving to a place with more opportunities, its easier to blame the govt for inner city criminals..is that about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies