Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That is common falsehood. All prop taxes meant for local schools (app 80%) go to the county to be distributed back to the schools. Schools in "rich" areas get no more money per student from the county than the schools in "poor" areas.

Money is not the problem, self accountability is.
So...in Illinois, East St Louis schools receive the same amount of money that, say, O'Fallon and Belleville schools do?

Every school in that county receives the same amount of money?

Really?

If so, I'll happily stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,286 times
ever heard the phrase you get what you pay for? you think spending more money on crappy schools is going to improve test scores? so throwing money at a problem fixes it. gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
So...in Illinois, East St Louis schools receive the same amount of money that, say, O'Fallon and Belleville schools do?

Really?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,462 times
It has nothing to do with Democrats... as segregation was dismantled, many of our high achieving Blacks moved out of Black neighborhoods and the poor remained. So while a higher percentage of Blacks have been moving into the middle class, the poorer classes seems stuck... especially with no role models left in the neighborhood and the ascent of drugs in the community. It's not a Democrat/Republican problem; it's a US problem.

You can ask the same about Appalachia and Republicans, right? But why do that... that won't confirm your bias.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
ever heard the phrase you get what you pay for? you think spending more money on crappy schools is going to improve test scores? so throwing money at a problem fixes it. gotcha.
I was asking if that claim was true - that all the schools of the same level (all high schools, e.g.) in any given county in the US receive the same amount of money every year, from their states, municipalities, fed; that the local tax base has nothing to do with school funding..

Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM

4,081 posts, read 5,611,614 times
Quote:

Really?

MODESE Annual Report of School Data

Its not even remotely close. St Louis spends (receives) $15,549 per day attended. O'Fallon (Francis Howell SD) spends (receives) $8,546 per day attended. That's a huge disparity.

I'm guessing the St. Louis SD would be considered the "poor" area since it receives almost DOUBLE what the "rich" SD does.

It would be a more accurate statement to say that schools in poorer neighborhoods with less property values get MORE money than the schools in the "rich" areas.

California's data is much easier to find and analyze. I was shocked when I found out that the crappier the school, the more money they receive per student.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Its not even remotely close. St Louis spends (receives) $15,549 per day attended. O'Fallon (Francis Howell SD) spends (receives) $8,546 per day attended. That's a huge disparity.

I'm guessing the St. Louis SD would be considered the "poor" area since it receives almost DOUBLE what the "rich" SD does.

California's data is much easier to find and analyze. I was shocked when I found out that the crappier the school, the more money they receive per student.
East St. Louis, Illinois? Receives $15+K? per day?

Holy cow.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
East St. Louis, IL? Receives $15+K per day?

Holy cow.
Holy cow is right, that is some SERIOUS funding, esp compared to most SD in the entire nation. I usually see somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000-$8,000 per pupil per day. I really don't get where the money goes, it makes no sense.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,462 times
Quote:

It would be a more accurate statement to say that schools in poorer neighborhoods with less property values get MORE money than the schools in the "rich" areas.

I believe that's because their federal share is higher... local and state monies are heavily slanted towards richer districts.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,899 times
He didn't look up East St. Louis, IL. He posted the numbers for St. Louis, MO.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
East St. Louis, Illinois? Receives $15+K? per day?

Holy cow.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I believe that's because their federal share is higher... local and state monies are heavily slanted towards richer districts.
Nope. And what would it matter? Schools in poor areas get more money per pupil than schools in rich areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
He didn't look up East St. Louis, IL. He posted the numbers for St. Louis, MO.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
They just had St Louis school district. I don't know what school district East St. Louis is in. All of the info can be found here. The average for Missouri is about $9600 per pupil day, I doubt E St Louis is lower than the average, as I noted St. Louis was at 15K+ maybe this includes East St. Louis? Edit, LOL didn't know East St Louis was in IL.

You guys can do further research, the truth hurts some liberal agendas saying that "poor" area schools are underfunded when compared to "rich" areas it is simply not true

School Data and Statistics

Last edited by nevergoingback; 05-18-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies