Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,422 times

Advertisements

He needs to be recalled. The people of CN need to hold a recall vote and get that jerk out of the Senate. I can't believe that he's still in office at this point. If they organize a campaign against him, I will be happy to donate some money to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I believe a completely publicly funded and operated system that pays for healthcare for all of us would be the most economical because government bureaucrats work for far less money than private sector executives. Removing the excessive private insurance company's executive pay and stockholder profits would remove most of the excess cost from the system and allow everyone to be insured.

The existing health insurance companies could sell coverage to some other sector of the economy like insuring beach from real estate from global warming.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

The existing health insurance companies could sell coverage to some other sector of the economy like insuring beach from real estate from global warming.
Or continue to sell their Cadillac policies to the rich folks who want to have their liposuction and botox injections covered. I couldn't care less if insurance companies want to make a fat profit off that kind of policy. Let 'em go for it! They'll hardly go out of business. That's just yet another red herring from the Right.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If Lieberman's actions are benefiting the ins co's you can bet they're not doing anything good for you. Thrillobyte's Law No 3: Whatever helps the insurance giants hurts the little guy.
I find this disturbing when a business and you are soliciting services from a business that you pay for cant opperate as a business. The little guy ends up screwing up this country because he cant participate or doesnt agree with the terms of service. Just my opinion.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Oh! My! G-d!

You are SO BLIND you cannot SEE!

Imagine if you had the same family medical issues you currently have, but were INELIGIBLE FOR INSURANCE because you lost your job at some point early in your medical problems and were DENIED COVERAGE DUE TO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS.

Imagine if you and your family didn't have ANY insurance because you were priced out of the market PURPOSEFULLY by the insurance companies and your government didn't provide you with ANY option to care for your family aside from showing up at the emergency room as needed and then absconding on the bill, passing off the cost of your family's care on everyone WITH insurance.

How you can be so OBLIVIOUS to this concept is beyond my comprehension.

[/quote]

Imagine, imagine, imagine. I guess you have a great imagination because it did not happen. And guess what, everyone in my family has pre-existing conditions. Guess what else? I have had no health insurance twice for short periods and still got health care even without health insurance. And one more thing I have also carried COBRA 2 times at a exorbitant rate.

I guess I am oblivious because I am a doer not a whiner. I take care of problems rather that whine and expect others to. If someone needs health care they can get it if they look hard enough.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,332,095 times
I don't get it.
The leftists have this special animosity against Joe. They think he owes them something. Why?
In 2006, when he was a totally loyal Democrat on domestic issues, with a liberal voting record, the left wing of the party moved heaven and earth to defeat him. They kicked him out of the party, poured millions into the coffers of the puny, far-leftist opponent who they chose as their nominee, and brought the national heavy hitters into Conn. to campaign against him.
Joe put together a broad bi-partisan coalition of centrists and independents and moderate Democrats and Republicans. He defeated the leftists in a landslide!
And now THEY call HIM a traitor?? He owes them NOTHING.

Go Joe!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe a completely publicly funded and operated system that pays for healthcare for all of us would be the most economical because government bureaucrats work for far less money than private sector executives. Removing the excessive private insurance company's executive pay and stockholder profits would remove most of the excess cost from the system and allow everyone to be insured.

Explain to us the unfunded liabilities in Medicare, and why it is going broke then.

Explain how"government bureaucrats work for far less money than private sector executives" when we have 10,000+ earmarks in the omnibus bills.

If a private sector enterprise wastes money, runs deep into the red, it fails. When government agency programs do the same thing politicians want to expand the programs by 40%.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Quote:
Oh! My! G-d!

You are SO BLIND you cannot SEE!

Imagine if you had the same family medical issues you currently have, but were INELIGIBLE FOR INSURANCE because you lost your job at some point early in your medical problems and were DENIED COVERAGE DUE TO PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS.

Imagine if you and your family didn't have ANY insurance because you were priced out of the market PURPOSEFULLY by the insurance companies and your government didn't provide you with ANY option to care for your family aside from showing up at the emergency room as needed and then absconding on the bill, passing off the cost of your family's care on everyone WITH insurance.

How you can be so OBLIVIOUS to this concept is beyond my comprehension.
Imagine, imagine, imagine. I guess you have a great imagination because it did not happen. And guess what, everyone in my family has pre-existing conditions. Guess what else? I have had no health insurance twice for short periods and still got health care even without health insurance. And one more thing I have also carried COBRA 2 times at a exorbitant rate.

I guess I am oblivious because I am a doer not a whiner. I take care of problems rather that whine and expect others to. If someone needs health care they can get it if they look hard enough.
Problems like those you addressed in our current health insurance situation can be addressed, and we do not need to trash the entire system to fix them.

Everyone gets sick, and everyone will end up having a precondition at some point in their life. So all we need to do is craft a rational piece of legislation to regulate this, so that legitimate people can be covered, and the slugs who leach of all the rest of us do not drag us down.

Some people are slugs, they will treat themselves to 60" plasma screens, multiple Direct TV accounts with all the extras, new cars, fancy toys, and go without health insurance. Then when they get sick they will go to the emergency room and make us pay for it. These same people would take advantage of a system that banned insurance companies from denying previous conditions too. We need to design a system that helps people between jobs, with preexisting conditions, to obtain insurance without being denied simply because they were sick once, or are sick now.

There are a lot of things government could do to lower health care costs that would not cost taxpayers a single dime, but none of them are circling the hall in congress ATM.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,989 times
PUBLIC OPTION would force competition on the insurance carriers- competition is GOOD. COMPETITION IS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE! The GOP killed that so they can pat themselves on the back and collect their $$$$ from the insurance carriers......

Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Problems like those you addressed in our current health insurance situation can be addressed, and we do not need to trash the entire system to fix them.

Everyone gets sick, and everyone will end up having a precondition at some point in their life. So all we need to do is craft a rational piece of legislation to regulate this, so that legitimate people can be covered, and the slugs who leach of all the rest of us do not drag us down.

Some people are slugs, they will treat themselves to 60" plasma screens, multiple Direct TV accounts with all the extras, new cars, fancy toys, and go without health insurance. Then when they get sick they will go to the emergency room and make us pay for it. These same people would take advantage of a system that banned insurance companies from denying previous conditions too. We need to design a system that helps people between jobs, with preexisting conditions, to obtain insurance without being denied simply because they were sick once, or are sick now.

There are a lot of things government could do to lower health care costs that would not cost taxpayers a single dime, but none of them are circling the hall in congress ATM.
I am in complete agreement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies