Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:54 PM

303 posts, read 563,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
Thomas Frank has written a great book on this topic "What's the Matter with Kansas." He starts the book speaking about this same topic namely the poor farmers who do not even realize that the same people ("Conservatives") they keep voting into office are the same ones selling their land to agribusiness.

Amazon.com: What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America (9780805073393): Thomas Frank: Books
Not surprised at all. My mother who is a republican is now complaining that her copays on prescriptions have gone up, as if Obama raised them himself! She doesn't get it's the INSURANCE companies, and what Obama is trying to reign in here, that are the evil doers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:56 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Why do blacks keep voting for liberals when liberal policies are racist and hurt blacks?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I always have been under the impression that democrats and people on the left are more racist than people on the right. Particulary southern democrats.
Southern Democrats used to be the racist bunch, but that started changing when Kennedy and Johnson brought civil rights legislation. Southern racists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms switched from the DEM party to the GOP. Then along came Nixon with his "Southern Strategy" of courting angry while southern males and the democratic racists moved to the GOP. By the 1980s's the flip flop was complete, the GOP was the preferred party of southern racists. Helms was the last openly racist southern GOP Senator.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
I actually am very impressed that those in the extreme right leadership have been able to use fear and confusion to cause the average Joe vote for policies that hurt them and help the more affluent. Not just once, but continually across decades. Even when found out, proof provided, facts presented people still rave and scream in anger that it's just their "evil" opponents trying to do...well, exactly what is being done to them already.

I think this just makes it much easier for me to be in politics. I will vote for what benefits the the mean. As the average increases everyone's means increases, mine included. If what I vote for looses, being affluent I win again.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Why do blacks keep voting for liberals when liberal policies are racist and hurt blacks?
How so?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
good op you got rep.
bizarre american labor is anti labor.
there are no workers only CEO wanabees.
yep jr on the couch is guna turn 40 next month, just bout to get his groove on and make it, just you wait and see. aw comon dad cosign for that phd.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:07 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
Quote:
I always have been under the impression that democrats and people on the left are more racist than people on the right. Particulary southern democrats.
[off topic]
Well, the Republican party was in fact founded as the anti-slavery party, in direct opposition to the pro-slavery Democratic party. Not that I'm implying history has bearing on your personal views, just throwing some background info out there.
[/off-topic]

Sorry, carry on.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:14 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Southern Democrats used to be the racist bunch, but that started changing when Kennedy and Johnson brought civil rights legislation. Southern racists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms switched from the DEM party to the GOP. Then along came Nixon with his "Southern Strategy" of courting angry while southern males and the democratic racists moved to the GOP. By the 1980s's the flip flop was complete, the GOP was the preferred party of southern racists. Helms was the last openly racist southern GOP Senator.
hate to tell you this but I live in the south. the racists here vote for democrats. I would say the south is less racist than the north and the west also.

And Byrd is the last openly racist democratic senator. he's still there.

David Duke was a democrat for a long time. While he was a member of the KKK he was a democrat. He then joined the republican party. Once it became known he was a former member of the KKK the republican party quickly booted him.

Once it became publicly known that Robert byrd was a member of the KKK he was promoted inside the democratic party to positions of leadership.

My experience tells me that democrats are clearly more racist than republicans.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM

Byrd renounced his racism years ago, decades ago. Helms stayed openly racist to the end.

Race is used to divide us to this day, and it works. Whites are lined up against health care reform for reasons already noted.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-30-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM

293 posts, read 570,723 times
Quote:
hate to tell you this but I live in the south. the racists here vote for democrats. I would say the south is less racist than the north and the west also.

And Byrd is the last openly racist democratic senator. he's still there.

David Duke was a democrat for a long time. While he was a member of the KKK he was a democrat. He then joined the republican party. Once it became known he was a former member of the KKK the republican party quickly booted him.

Once it became publicly known that Robert byrd was a member of the KKK he was promoted inside the democratic party to positions of leadership.

My experience tells me that democrats are clearly more racist than republicans.

...I guess that it just depends on where you live! I lived in Florida most of my life and I now live in Georgia and I would really disagree. Also, I have lived in Maryland and I would have to say I have seen more racism down here in the "deep" South. But I guess it just depends on each person's experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies