Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM

13,652 posts, read 20,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I laughed out loud when I saw your post...somewhere Al and Jesse are marshalling their media machine, getting ready to shout 'this is an OUTRAGE! He should be tarred and feathered!'...

Dude, please...this was a stupid prank, that required either a stern warning or (as I suggested in post #73) the guy being terminated---NOT some overblown PC media circus, full of hot air, faux outrage from both sides, and (wait for it) cries of 'racist!' and I'm NOT a racist!...quit being a victim'...I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff
I know that. My post was meant in jest.

By this weekend, nobody will remember this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Lightbulb By The Way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I know that. My post was meant in jest.

By this weekend, nobody will remember this.
That was a blanket 'Dude please'---not aimed at you...and you're right, by the weekend, it'll be largely forgotten both here and offline

Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,244 times
Where is this supposed outrage by African Americans? In fact, I don't see much outrage at all. I do see people speaking on behalf of African Americans and liberals. It seems like the OP is deliberately trying to stir the pot and create controversy when none exists. I've read the entire thread and have not seen one forum member claim this was a hate crime. It seems the OP was trying to create drama and attack those he deems as being overly sensitive or too politically correct.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Ok, it was the store's fault. In fact I think it was Sammy himself who was on the PA system.

Thank you for displaying your oversensitivity.
You are hilarious. You are accusing me of being oversensitive yet you started getting overly sensitive when I stereotyped White Walmart shoppers. You got your feelings hurt that you started stalking me on other threads. According to you, people are being sensitive if the comments are directed at Blacks but if they are directed at Whites then people are being ignorant and discriminatory. You have to love the double standard the Right holds.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are hilarious. You are accusing me of being oversensitive yet you started getting overly sensitive when I stereotyped White Walmart shoppers. You got your feelings hurt that you started stalking me on other threads. According to you, people are being sensitive if the comments are directed at Blacks but if they are directed at Whites then people are being ignorant and discriminatory. You have to love the double standard the Right holds.
That stereotype wouldn't work at the Walmarts where I am from. There are many Walmarts that are not in rural America.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
That stereotype wouldn't work at the Walmarts where I am from. There are many Walmarts that are not in rural America.
I live in the 5th largest city in the United States and it most certainly holds here. It also held in Los Angelas and most of Southern California too. Nonetheless, the point stands...the Right Wing criticizes the use of political correctness except when it applies to them. The OP demonstrated that. It's okay to stereotype Muslims just not Rednecks. I get it

Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM

13,652 posts, read 20,788,575 times
I gotta get to a Walmart one of these days.

I thought they were simply Kmarts on steroids, you know, a place where I can get my toothpaste and motor oil for 20% cheaper- not a bad thing.

But they're more. They are the bogeyman of America. They are responsible for anything and everything: Rednecks, supporting entire economies (China), brutal racism, destroying entire economies (US), cheap crap, good crap sold cheap.

And now they have had a seance and summoned Bull Connor from the grave. Did he bring his dogs?

If this idiocy did not exist, we would have to invent it.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I live in the 5th largest city in the United States and it most certainly holds here. It also held in Los Angelas and most of Southern California too. Nonetheless, the point stands...the Right Wing criticizes the use of political correctness except when it applies to them. The OP demonstrated that.
Really? Mostly Whites shop at inner-city LA Walmarts?

I guess I am stereotyping now.

I agree with you about the political right, of course, just pointing out that the demographics where I live (~3.2 million people metro area with 2 inner-cities) you see a marked difference in the ethnicity of the Walmart shoppers depending on whether you're in the inner-city or one of the old inner-ring suburbs vs. if you are at one out in the "newer"'(1970s onward) outer-ring 'burbs. The same demographics seem to hold true for Target, Walgreen's etc.

Anywho, the reason I initially noticed this is because I used to service Walmarts (and Target's and Walgreen's when I worked for Kodak) photo processing labs in my region, when I used to work for Fuji.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
This is YOUR assumption Not everyone else's. Racism is NOT funny no matter who it targets and unless you've spoken to the 200 + Americans, your statement is just as ascenine as the IDIOT who thought their prank was funny. I would be offended NO MATTER what race was spewed over the loud speaker. That is a place of business, take the practical jokes outside.
Racism is not funny and I agree this is something that should not have been allowed to happen and its sad when it does. However, most people only think racism when it does not involve a white person. For some reason hate crimes dont happen to straight white people, only everyone else. If I was walking down the street in a prominent black/Hispanic community and was attacked. All anyone would say is, "wrong place, wrong time." Not that it was a hate crime. Now a black/Hispanic person is walking down a "white" neighborhood and is attacked. It must me racism or hate.

Racism sickens me. But we will only make way for change when both the affecting and affected allow it to happen.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Racism is not funny and I agree this is something that should not have been allowed to happen and its sad when it does. However, most people only think racism when it does not involve a white person. For some reason hate crimes dont happen to straight white people, only everyone else. If I was walking down the street in a prominent black/Hispanic community and was attacked. All anyone would say is, "wrong place, wrong time." Not that it was a hate crime. Now a black/Hispanic person is walking down a "white" neighborhood and is attacked. It must me racism or hate.

Racism sickens me. But we will only make way for change when both the affecting and affected allow it to happen.
Really?

I seem to remember a high-profile case right after the law was passed in which several blacks were charged with hate-crimes perpetrated on a white guy who was walking down their street after something they saw on TV got them angry at whites. Unfortunately I don't remember enough of the salient details to be able to find that case in a Google search.

However, just browsing the first few results from a Google search reveals several stories about blacks being convicted, not just charged, with hate-crimes. I am sure I could come up with dozens of examples, but why bother. Someone(s) will just rationalize away the fact that blacks and other minorities are being convicted of hate-crimes, in some not-so-clever and transparent fashion.

Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

Nine Convicted in Long Beach Hate-Crime Trial : NPR

'Blond Hair' A Murder Motive - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies