Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:15 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
This website always good information: https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/suicide/ and https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/...re-of-suicide/

Yes, I heard from a psychologist that suicide was selfish. I didn't get the details but I would guess that since they leave so much sorrow behind and never gave that a thought that is probably the selfish part. There is sometimes an attitude of "I'll show them." involved, a sort of revenge and hatefulness toward those that they will leave behind.

Suicide is not a brave thing to do. Suicide is a weak thing to do, admitting and getting help is the brave thing to do.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:19 AM

652 posts, read 874,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This website always good information: https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/suicide/ and https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/...re-of-suicide/

Yes, I heard from a psychologist that suicide was selfish. I didn't get the details but I would guess that since they leave so much sorrow behind and never gave that a thought that is probably the selfish part. There is sometimes an attitude of "I'll show them." involved, a sort of revenge and hatefulness toward those that they will leave behind.

Suicide is not a brave thing to do. Suicide is a weak thing to do, admitting and getting help is the brave thing to do.
That is a well thought out response to suicide. Perhaps you should consider the financial costs those with mental illness bring to society and the inept mental health care system. The mental health professionals lack a track record of success. Drugging their patients because they lack the mastery of knowledge of the human condition that 20th century psychology sought to understand.

This world is filled with far too many victims of society and circumstance for society to account for.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:18 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times
Suicide thoughts are not really a mental disorder. It is a spiritual oppression perpetuated by demons. Of course, entitled mental professionals are happy to label this as idiotic but it is like that. That's a reality and it is not easy to prove scientifically but a lot of people have overcome it just praying and having a more deep spiritual perspective. I think depression is a response to a sick world who thinks is healthy, but unfortunately this is when this entities take advantage and take place.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I lost a loved one to suicide almost five years ago. I've been told that he was very selfish and he didn't deserve to be remembered.

I am not very sure that I agree with this. Many times, the person is severely depressed and isn't in a proper mindset.

"of those who die from suicide, more than 90 percent have a diagnosable mental disorder.

People who die by suicide are frequently experiencing undiagnosed, undertreated, or untreated depression."

Facts About Mental Illness and Suicide - Mental Health Reporting - UW School of Social Work

So to say somebody who committed suicide are selfish is almost like saying being sick is selfish.

The bottom line is that nobody knows who is considering suicide sometimes. Everyone has left low, down or depressed at one point in their life, so how can anybody judge them for wanting to end their lives?

One of my grief counselor has used the term "terminal mental illness" to describe suicidal desperation. So when suicide is discussed, maybe people should be careful with the word "selfishness" because blaming and judging the suicide victim, only adds more pain and suffering to the people they left behind.

Do you believe people who committed suicide are selfish?
No.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:09 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I can't agree with this at all. How do you know that they never gave others a thought? I think they probably did. While some may do it for revenge, I think the vast majority are caused by depression, hopelessness, despair.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:17 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Unless you've tried suicide, you don't know. I tried it. Was it inconsiderate? Yes. Did I think I was showing them? No. Would I have went to hell, were I successful? Probably. Did that stop me? Of course not.

How is it a selfish act, when you don't even care about yourself when you're doing it? Everyone thinks about themselves in this world. Nobody cares that you're depressed, until you kill yourself.

I give it the benefit of the doubt that people were blindsided. You don't hear about Black people committing suicide, you don't think they're going to do it. But they do.

Especially if your Black child is in predominately "White" situations. Being the only one that looks like you is depressing enough. And this was back in the eighties. But I'm putting it out there because people assume that they know people, and that they're tough. These psychotropic drugs will take down anyone. Sh_t you could handle, normally, you don't know what to do. Skip your medication you think the sadness will never end. It happened to me, it can happen to anyone.

If you, or someone else you know, is taking something for depression, don't slip away. Don't allow a day to go by without talking to them. I don't care how much of a b_tch or an a_shole they are to you. Better to be in their face than let them slip away.

I would rather fight and see them alive, than to ignore them and find them dead. Especially children, who feel as though they have this right to privacy. If they're not in their right mind. No privacy.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
I think everybody has their own story. It's not always a selfish act and at times can be a selfless act and I DO NOT want to talk religion about this subject.

My little brother hung himself when he was 15. He got into trouble with the police and they put him in a cell and they told him they were going to take him to the county jail. A couple of months before this happened, an older neighbor got arrested and was thrown in the county jail and r@ped by inmates. My little brother made the comment that if he ever went to jail, that's what he'd do and he did. He was scared because the cops lied to him partially because my older brother was a cop and told them to scare him.

It just about killed my Mother and Father and even though we were hurting too, it was torture watching my Mom. I can't say he was selfish, he was 15 y/o and scared. It does leave a path of destruction for those that loved them.

I've thought about it myself when I was in a very dark place emotionally, but wouldn't do it because of what it would do to my family.

You never know what's going on inside of someone's mind. I think there's so many variables to be considered and I'm not so quick to judge anymore.

Sometimes it is selfish, but not always.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I haven't read through all of the responses, but I did have a very close family member and a dear friend commit suicide. Also, a coworker commit suicide. I've frequently thought about why, but here are some conclusions that I've reached:

1) No, it's not selfish. I think suicide is a disease like cancer or any other disease. I don't think those that are suicidal are necessarily capable of getting help on their own.

2) I can't imagine the pain of not being able to continue for one more second. I just can't imagine it. For those who have commit suicide, I feel the utmost compassion and I pray for them. Who am I to judge?

3) For the survivors: They should be treated like any other grieving person. You say you're sorry for their loss and move on. Don't ask them why--odds are they don't know. I mean, it costs you absolutely nothing to show fellow humans kindness, so just do it.

4) I've heard horrible, insensitive things said at funerals/wakes/memorials for those who have commit suicide. I just don't understand how anyone can do that.

5) I don't know if a person who commits suicide is going to heaven or hell. I don't know if anyone is going to heaven or hell. I'm not in charge and it's none of my business.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:

Suicide is not a brave thing to do. Suicide is a weak thing to do, admitting
and getting help is the brave thing to do.
It's not brave nor weak. It is only selfish in that you expect a person to live and suffer for you, even if it isn't best for them. (exception: If you have young children I dont care how much you suiffer - you do not leave them behind).

Some people truly cannot be helped. I think we'd like to think so but if someone suffers from a mental disorder say for 30 years and nothing improves then "getting help" failed.

I've had people close to me kill themselves. Most weren't a surprise. I finally accepted that their life was so painful that being dead was a better option for them. They have my compassion. Think about that. LIfe is so so painful that they cannot endure it. And it goes on day after day for YEARS. What kind of suffering prison is that? Of course I have compassion. Most of them had suffered for years and years, and no help was useful enough to keep trying.

Someone who does it impulsively say after a breakup is a whole different matter. The ones I was close to had suffered from years in a prison they couldnt escape. Their outside world was immaterial from their internal suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology