Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Agreed. Adam Lanza's mom was a teacher too ( I think) She had to buy him the games or give him the money because he never worked ( but I don't think he could). She even took him to the gun range. (That was just stupid) I personally think she was off or maybe had an affair with a bottle of whiskey, since most of her friends were down at the bar. Adam Lanza was alone a lot as well and stayed 'plugged in'. I don't even have a video game. I feel like our nation is desensitized to these stupid things. We were made to go outside.

Kids are generally 'plugged in' and then 'unplugged'. I am sure there has to be some form of disassociation between both worlds that someone is not getting. And I could say that people that are sensitive with lapses in reality to begin with, could be very comfortable in an 'disassociated world', especially if the reality is unsettling.
Elliot said in the manifesto that the video games were the only place where he felt "safe." I don't own a video game either and don't know the first thing about them. I know Adam Lanza played the violent ones as I recall. I'm not sure in Elliot's case what he was playing just that he was hooked on a particular one for whatever reason. I'll never understand how Nancy Lanza could have ever taken that kid to a gun range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Elliot said in the manifesto that the video games were the only place where he felt "safe." I don't own a video game either and don't know the first thing about them. I know Adam Lanza played the violent ones as I recall. I'm not sure in Elliot's case what he was playing just that he was hooked on a particular one for whatever reason. I'll never understand how Nancy Lanza could have ever taken that kid to a gun range.
I think she liked to drink ( just my opinion) I don't think her life was very pleasant. She is the first one he shot. That was a hate crime.. ( out of all of them.. i think) so very sad.. just little tiny kids. I think it was because she a teacher at that school ( or a part of, but inactive) I think he hated her so much that he felt like these little kids were going to be robots that she may have had some influence on and would end up like him. ( I could be off of that.. but I think that thought was in there in the mix)

She encouraged that shooting I think. The was the reason for the gun range. I think he acted it out ( but wasn't fully aware that was the message but was getting some type of picture, here). She might have been the one that hated the school and stayed in misery.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I think she liked to drink ( just my opinion) I don't think her life was very pleasant. She is the first one he shot. That was a hate crime.. ( out of all of them.. i think) so very sad.. just little tiny kids. I think it was because she a teacher at that school ( or a part of, but inactive) I think he hated her so much that he felt like these little kids were going to be robots that she may have had some influence on and would end up like him. ( I could be off of that.. but I think that thought was in there in the mix)

She encouraged that shooting I think. The was the reason for the gun range. I think he acted it out ( but wasn't fully aware that was the message but was getting some type of picture, here). She might have been the one that hated the school and stayed in misery.

I think Nancy Lanza was in denial about the severity of her son's condition even though everyone who knew her said she lived for Adam and did all she could for him. I recall a teacher who had Adam in a class said sometimes he would need help walking in the hall. I think I read that Adam refused to talk to Nancy in the home. She communicated with him by email. It's so horribly wrong that anyone would think a kid this troubled should have any access whatsoever to firearms. Something had to be extremely troubled in that relationship for a son to shoot his mother, and I agree there is a connection to her and the kids at the school. We'll just never know all the dynamics that brought about that tragedy. You've got these kids and young adults seeing therapists who just seem to be out of their league in picking up on patients who are secretly plotting murders. I heard someone who knew Elliot say he fooled everyone.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 PM

188 posts, read 250,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Um, he was a bad dude. The fact you're making excuses for him is beyond putrid. It speaks to the kind of person you are.
This.

Hearing Elliot's best pal over here all I can think to myself is, "Duck, Girls! He's got a gun!"

Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
There are more and more shootings everyday, people trying to outdo each other, couples now making suicide pacts with each other but deciding to take others with them, it's downright chilling. We live in a very violent country and the only answer in my mind is gun control, like it or not. We cannot control the behavior of others, we can't prevent people from murdering others and/or taking their own lives. For decades, physicians are rarely held responsible for a patient's suicide because so far, judges and juries have accepted and endorsed the fact that human behavior is not under someone's control, and that we can do our best to help troubled people, but there are limits. It's easy to point the finger and say someone missed something, that the police or the mental health system performed faulty evaluations, but again, the bottom line is that this kid developed his mind set over 21 years, and he knew how to manipulate others, and his actions were behavioral, not a function of a psychotic mental illness, he was personality disordered which is refractory to therapy or medication in most cases. We're in big trouble as a society and as I see it, the only thing we have control over is the proliferation of guns. I also think there should be a moratorium on reporting these shootings in the media, that just fuels the fire.
My theory is that it's the specifically hypercompetitive and aggressive nature of American culture. It goes beyond gun laws. That is why other countries with relaxed gun laws (like Switzerland) don't have these rampages nearly as often. Their society doesn't constantly tell them "Get angry. All that matters is what you have and what you've achieved. You're better than him. She's better than you etc"

It might be worth taking a good look at the aggression, shallow consumerism and obsession with image in our culture.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
He blamed women, and the thread was unfairly set up to mock the idea. Bullying of him was mostly done by males, I suppose, but I suspect specific females or common negative female behaviors (that weirdly seem taboo to mention in front of women) contribute to the anger that fuels such violence (which never does good). If that indicates some misogyny by me, so be it. I've actually been repped many times for posts in this thread. Anyway, your amazing psychic powers can be used in another thread. They only spread hate here.
Can you be specific about what common negative female behaviors you are talking about?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
This Thread Breaks All Records On Psychology Forum For Posting

I guess congrats but it would have far nicer if the events in Santa Monica had never happened.

Here's the post on Current Events forum which just broke all the records too.
Another Heart-warming Pit Bull Story

What does this say about us as a society? What does this say about some members of CD? Why are we fascinated by dogs who would chew us up, men who would shoot us?

Take a look at the some of the threads on either forum which never drew more than a couple of replies.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
This Thread Breaks All Records On Psychology Forum For Posting

I guess congrats but it would have far nicer if the events in Santa Monica had never happened.

Here's the post on Current Events forum which just broke all the records too.
Another Heart-warming Pit Bull Story

What does this say about us as a society? What does this say about some members of CD? Why are we fascinated by dogs who would chew us up, men who would shoot us?

Take a look at the some of the threads on either forum which never drew more than a couple of replies.
I think the fascination (or horror) is because for the average person, this is simply incomprehensible. We all don't live entitled lives, thinking we deserve rewards for existing, and if we don't get our way, rage about it to the point of murder. That is so far beyond our scope of comprehension, and people are looking for answers to something they don't understand and really can't be answered, only speculated on.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 AM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think the fascination (or horror) is because for the average person, this is simply incomprehensible. We all don't live entitled lives, thinking we deserve rewards for existing, and if we don't get our way, rage about it to the point of murder. That is so far beyond our scope of comprehension, and people are looking for answers to something they don't understand and really can't be answered, only speculated on.
Good answer but I think there's more.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Good answer but I think there's more.
Two words for you: Sex, and Death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology