Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Awhile back we got a phone call...from us. As we sat there we saw our name and number show up and our phone was ringing...we didn't answer...they hung up.
Been there, done the double take, didn't answer. It's called "neighbor spoofing" for those who haven't heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I have been without an oven for about 3-4 weeks now. The new one arrives late next week. In the meantime I’ve been making do with other appliances. I fed two groups of relatives this past weekend basically using my two instant pots and DH as grillmaster. Yesterday, to prep some fresh peaches I attempted to turn on the cooktop. Nothing. Nada. We discovered that I now have no cooktop!

Dinner went off fine. I skinned peaches with a peeler.

This morning I was promising my grandkids a nice breakfast when it hit me again. I have no way of frying an egg. Grandchild #1 quickly said “Panera?” So that’s where we went for breakfast.

What’s next? The garbage disposal?

Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
If it makes anyone feel better, I have stepped through the ceiling in our kitchen not once, but twice - in the same spot.

The second time, my husband was pretty irritated because it costs about $700 to fix and paint it, and he said, "Hmph - well, I haven't fallen through the ceiling one time."

OH THAT GOT ALL OVER ME BECAUSE:

I said, "Well, of course you haven't, DEAR, because you never go up in the attic. Ever. Ever. So think this through, Big Brain on Brad - if I've stuck my foot through the ceiling TWICE in exactly the same place, maybe, just maybe and this is a crazy thought, but MAYBE we need to have some flooring in that spot. Let me rephrase that - maybe you need to go up in the attic and lay some flooring in that spot. Because when I go up in the attic again, which I will any day, I may just step through that spot again, and I won't feel bad if I do, because clearly someone needs to lay some flooring down in that area."

Long story short -we got the ceiling fixed and my attic is now floored in that area.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yesterday I wanted to take down the mandoline so I could make garlic slivers. It was behind a stack of saucers, and I was standing on tiptoe to reach it. Yes, that's where it's going... I thought to myself, I really should move those out of the way first. Right about then was when the whole stack toppled off the shelf, bouncing off my arms, sliding down my shoulders, crashing onto the counter, smashing a bowl that was on the counter, cascading down onto the floor in a deafening, seemingly endless cacophony. The neighbors must have gotten a chuckle, as I'm sure it echoed throughout the entire courtyard. I was half expecting someone to yell out, "You dropped your watch!"

My SO was standing right there when it happened. After all the noise and damage had subsided, we're standing there in shock, and he says something like, "What was that all about?" lol

During the dreaded clean-up, I discovered some pieces had landed halfway into the dining area and living room. Sheesh.

After all that, I still had to sliver 12 cloves of garlic.

Just wait, you will be finding shards for MONTHS. Ask me how I know.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-19-2019, 06:33 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,542 times
We're trying to spend money, but the shopping gods are not on our side. Mr. PC ordered something, but then he got an email saying the item is not in stock, will be in stock next month, so order canceled. He then went to buy an unrelated item, not available. I need a new phone, so we went to a store that was next to a restaurant where we'd just eaten, saw something I liked, "Oh, that's not in stock." I ordered a hoodie and license plate frame from Lids, which was supposed to have shipped the next day, got a "delay in your order" email, you can wait or cancel. I'll give it a few days.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This is so true!

Just a little while ago, I was cleaning a bathroom, and I heard this pretty little tinkling sound, and it was a shard of glass that had been laying behind the toilet for God only knows how long - YEARS maybe. So long ago that I don't even remember breaking any glass anywhere around there.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:37 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is so true!

Just a little while ago, I was cleaning a bathroom, and I heard this pretty little tinkling sound, and it was a shard of glass that had been laying behind the toilet for God only knows how long - YEARS maybe. So long ago that I don't even remember breaking any glass anywhere around there.
And that's exactly why my heart sinks every time it happens. It's not even the cleaning up; it's the worry that you won't find it all, especially with a pet.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
We're trying to spend money, but the shopping gods are not on our side. Mr. PC ordered something, but then he got an email saying the item is not in stock, will be in stock next month, so order canceled. He then went to buy an unrelated item, not available. I need a new phone, so we went to a store that was next to a restaurant where we'd just eaten, saw something I liked, "Oh, that's not in stock." I ordered a hoodie and license plate frame from Lids, which was supposed to have shipped the next day, got a "delay in your order" email, you can wait or cancel. I'll give it a few days.
This is the WORST.

A few years ago we needed a fence. Now this is not a small expense, and there are supposedly fence companies all over the place and I kept calling them and saying "We need a fence - please call me back," because of course I never got a live person on the phone, and NO ONE EVER CALLED ME BACK ONE TIME. NOT ONCE. Long story short I basically had to run someone down in the street but we did eventually get it done.

Then a few months later we wanted new gutters. Same song, different verse, and SAME RESULTS. It took me about 2 months to even get anyone to call me back. I have no idea whether they are a good company or not - all I know is that they are the ones who called me back - eventually.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:28 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is the WORST.

Long story short I basically had to run someone down in the street but we did eventually get it done.

Then a few months later we wanted new gutters. Same song, different verse, and SAME RESULTS. It took me about 2 months to even get anyone to call me back. I have no idea whether they are a good company or not - all I know is that they are the ones who called me back - eventually.
Ugh. We're going to need a new roof before the rainy season starts. I suppose I should look into it now because from what I've seen on Yelp, you're not the only one who's had trouble with callbacks.

One a positive note, Lids sent a shipment confirmation today. So yay.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:47 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
My gutters are being installed today. Yay! They are supposed to be here at 10 a.m. I have new impact resistant windows being installed by Lowe's September 24th. My FWP is that I already received a bill for the first payment on the windows to be made September 5th BEFORE the windows are even installed. When I called and asked about it I was told to consider it a down payment. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology