Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of why I plan to stay single..

I can leave drawers, cabinets, ziplocks, lights, bathroom fans however I want to,

No one decides they are going to "teach" me to use a basket for my keys or tries
to "correct' all my little habits....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
When I am working in the kitchen, sometimes I will open a cabinet, or a drawer, and leave it open while I am cooking or prepping food. Then at the end of that activity, I will close them. So they might be open for a few minutes. Wife however (who is actually OCD) is driven crazy by this behavior. Cabinets and drawers must be closed immediately after access or chaos will surely ensue.

Closet doors in a bedroom though? Those are pretty much always open in our house, at least in bedrooms that see daily use. Neither of us have any problem with that. Why would you keep your bedroom closet door closed? I guess if you had a really dusty house, or animals that might go in there? Don't have those issues so they stay open.
There are several reasons why we keep our closet doors closed:

1. They have an automatic light switch, so when they are open the light inside the closet comes on. We don't want to leave those lights on.

2. The room looks neater with the closet doors closed.

3. Our closets aren't huge so they tend to look very full. I like a tranquil, uncluttered bedroom.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
OMG! You are totally describing me and my husband! Too funny! I sort of gave up on the basket also, but he does at least some of the time put his keys in there. I have ambient lights on all over, because I love the warm feel of it, but I do hate any overhead lights.

The other day, I walked into one of our bathrooms and the fan was blasting away, which is especially awful, because it blows out hot air - it's summer in South Carolina here! I don't know why he even had it on in the first place - it's not an exhaust fan, but one to warm you when you get out of the tub/shower.

When we first moved here, I had to stay behind in NJ to arrange things with the movers and he had to come here to start work. I was exhausted from all the packing and everything. Despite the fact that the movers did most of it, it still wore me out. So I decided that there was no way I was driving all the way here by myself to bring our other car. I had him fly up and drive down with me. When we got here, one of the first things I noticed was that not only had he forgotten to lock the back door, he hadn't even shut it all the way! It's a slider and was open about 2 inches!
Are we married to identical twins????? My husband is always leaving that hot fan thingie on in the bathroom - here in Texas!

And it's a good thing we live in a low crime area because there's no telling whether or not the doors will be locked - or whether his keys will be in the truck or not. And it doesn't matter that I lock all the doors before going to bed, because he often gets up at night and wanders around - and I'll find doors unlocked when I get up in the morning.

Oh - here's another thing he does:

We're walking from the store to the truck. It's about 110 degrees on the asphalt parking lot. Of course, I tend to walk faster than him for some reason. I try to slow down but he doesn't walk at any one particular speed. He may suddenly walk fast, or he may creep along. It has nothing to do with his age or walking ability - he's quite able to walk in a healthy, brisk fashion. But he's random. And not only is he random in his speed - it's also hard to walk beside him because he tends to meander back and forth. So...I walk a few feet ahead of him (and then he tells me, "SLOW DOWN - I hate it when you walk in front of me!"). But if I slow down, he slows down. If I try to walk beside him, he tends to fluctuate between weaving slightly left or right. I'm more of a straight line, brisk walker myself. We are not "walk compatible" - LOL.

So anyway, I usually get to the truck a few steps before him. He waits till he's right there, right by his door, to get his keys out and unlock the door. I'm standing there, sweating. Then he gets into the truck. I'm still standing there, sweating. I knock on the door. Then he looks over at me with a surprised look on his face, and unlocks my door.

OK, I am totally different. When I leave the store, I'm ready to get into that vehicle. As soon as the car is in sight, I unlock the doors. I am not surprised that my passenger wants to get in as well.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

I can leave drawers, cabinets, ziplocks, lights, bathroom fans however I want to,

No one decides they are going to "teach" me to use a basket for my keys or tries
Do you know where your keys, your wallet, and your phone are when you get ready to leave, or do you have to spend ten minutes looking for them, every single day? And sometimes several times a day?

Do you leave your expensive sunglasses or your new phone at restaurants or stores regularly?

Does your significant other end up sitting in the vehicle waiting for you because you have to run back in to look for some basic component of your day, every single time you go somewhere together?

If not - then no problem. But if so...maybe you need a little help from someone who loves you, and who lives with you and your meanderings every day.

And maybe you could help them be more spontaneous too. It's a two way street.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-10-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My ex was always upset that I left kitchen cabinets open. I thought it was a strange thing to get upset about, and still do. What's the big deal? If it bothers you, shut them. I feel the same way about a toilet seat being left up. I simply put it down when I have to use it.

Life is too short to be obsessing about these kind of trivial matters.
Till you knock the crap out of your head on an open cabinet door.

Till you have to clean out the dust and little pieces of food that fall into the open drawers in the kitchen.

Doors are on cabinets for a reason. If doors weren't meant to be shut, then you'd just have open shelves. Why not simply close the doors? How much effort does that take? If you know it bothers someone you share a home with, why not simply take 1 second - 1 second - to close a door that you open?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This is kind of just a funny thing, but I also truly wonder about it. I've known some people who always, not just "often" but always, leave drawers partly pulled out, cabinets partly opened, and closets partly opened.

I remember I had a teacher in high school who always left her desk drawers pulled out 1-2 inches. Students would make jokes about it, and she would say that she does it at her house too, and her husband was always going around closing them.

Throughout the years I've worked with, or been friends with, people who I noticed do the same thing. Like the friend whose bedroom closet is NEVER closed, and whose drawers are always open.

Then I lived with a partner for 12+ years, and he was like this. Every bedroom drawer: open a few inches. Closet door: open. Bathroom cabinet: opened just enough so that the magnetic latch won't connect. Kitchen cabinets: same. He moved out a few years ago, and ever since, I've made sure every cabinet door and drawer are closed. It take just as long and just as much effort to close the all the way as it does to close them part-way. He and I are still friends and when I go to his house: all open. He happens to be sloppy, but the other friend I mentioned above was not sloppy; everything seemed to be in its place at her house, but nothing was ever shut.

My ex was just at my house this week, and he had to get out scissors for something, and after he left, I found the damned kitchen drawer open about 1 inch.

Do you know someone like this? What do you think it is? It could just be carelessness, but to do it almost 100% of the time, to me, take some effort. It's almost like a rare OCD thing.
I live with someone like this also. Drawers always open and doors too - to the house! I've come home to find the door wide open. He just can't bring himself to close it completely. I do think there is something mental going on there. The exterior of the house has to be impeccable, but his indoor area - bomb explosion! Same with his appearance - spit and polish. His mind - a little wacky.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are we married to identical twins????? My husband is always leaving that hot fan thingie on in the bathroom - here in Texas!

And it's a good thing we live in a low crime area because there's no telling whether or not the doors will be locked - or whether his keys will be in the truck or not. And it doesn't matter that I lock all the doors before going to bed, because he often gets up at night and wanders around - and I'll find doors unlocked when I get up in the morning.

Oh - here's another thing he does:

We're walking from the store to the truck. It's about 110 degrees on the asphalt parking lot. Of course, I tend to walk faster than him for some reason. I try to slow down but he doesn't walk at any one particular speed. He may suddenly walk fast, or he may creep along. It has nothing to do with his age or walking ability - he's quite able to walk in a healthy, brisk fashion. But he's random. And not only is he random in his speed - it's also hard to walk beside him because he tends to meander back and forth. So...I walk a few feet ahead of him (and then he tells me, "SLOW DOWN - I hate it when you walk in front of me!"). But if I slow down, he slows down. If I try to walk beside him, he tends to fluctuate between weaving slightly left or right. I'm more of a straight line, brisk walker myself. We are not "walk compatible" - LOL.

So anyway, I usually get to the truck a few steps before him. He waits till he's right there, right by his door, to get his keys out and unlock the door. I'm standing there, sweating. Then he gets into the truck. I'm still standing there, sweating. I knock on the door. Then he looks over at me with a surprised look on his face, and unlocks my door.

OK, I am totally different. When I leave the store, I'm ready to get into that vehicle. As soon as the car is in sight, I unlock the doors. I am not surprised that my passenger wants to get in as well.
Sheesh Kathryn- he should open the door for you and close it behind you after you get in, not just unlock. Hit him upside the head - lol.

I live with someone who has locked three sets of keys - in his truck - at ONE time. He didn't tell me until I saw the locksmith drive up.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

By the way, sometimes living with the person you love makes all those idiosyncracies worth the hassle. Believe me, it's no more irritating to be "taught" to use a basket for keys than it is to sit waiting, knowing you're going to be late, because someone can't find their keys.

But some people are worth the transitory irritation. I can't imagine a perfectly ordered life, without my husband in it. I prefer some chaos and having him around, but I'm honest enough to admit that sometimes his scatterbrained ways bug me. And I'm sure that sometimes my overly organized ways bug him.

That's life. And it's a good one.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Sheesh Kathryn- he should open the door for you and close it behind you after you get in, not just unlock. Hit him upside the head - lol.

I live with someone who has locked three sets of keys - in his truck - at ONE time. He didn't tell me until I saw the locksmith drive up.

To his credit - sometimes he DOES open the door for me, but it's random.

He is great about opening the door for me when it's cold or raining. It's the hot thing that doesn't seem to register with him! LOL

And yet, he always opens the door for me at a store or restaurant or church, that sort of thing. It's the vehicle in summer in Texas thing that he has a problem with.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:39 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
John leaves drawers and cabinets open all the time. He also leaves what he was looking at from the drawer on top of the counter top. Don't ask him to turn off a light or put laundry away. It lands on top of the dresser. He also places things with liquid in them on the edge of a table top with part of the glass hanging over.

Maybe I have OCD, maybe I don't, but it drives me crazy. I like a neat and orderly environment and it creates a lot more work for me. That and I feel like I'm living with a perpetual ten year old.

The only thing I can think of why he does this besides laziness is that he consumed with a certain project or task and he just can't multi task. I'll go look for something I need in his tool room and I'm over whelmed with the chaos and clutter. I'll ask him to find it for me out of frustration and he walks right to it. Doh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology