Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,618,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
And we all know what happens to them when they are raped - honor killings. How dare they bring shame to their families.
Obviously, they did something, or failed to do something to prevent it!

Old 10-19-2017, 04:57 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,130,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Obviously, they did something, or failed to do something to prevent it!
Who knew a burka could be so titillating.

Sorry guys.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 899,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Being stupid, careless, naive or whatever does not excuse the actions of the other. He still bears full responsibility.
If I go into a "bad" neighborhood at 3 am in a provocative outfit, should I bear some responsibility for what happens? Absolutely!

Old 10-19-2017, 06:06 PM

15,899 posts, read 6,372,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
If I go into a "bad" neighborhood at 3 am in a provocative outfit, should I bear some responsibility for what happens? Absolutely!
How about your friends garage in jeans, baggy sweatshirt, no make up, hair in a ponytail? I don't know why people think rapists choose women based on how they are dressed or what they are "asking for". He's a rapist he doesn't care.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
What if you go in a non-provocative outfit, and you get raped?

(PS the assumption that would be the result is odd, but that is a separate issue/false premise).

Last edited by jencam; 10-19-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,804,153 times
What if I am in a "good" neighborhood at 3 in the afternoon, walking around in a polo shirt, baggy mom jeans, and ugly tennis shoes and I get sexually assaulted? Is it less "my fault," then? What if it's the same rapist who assaulted me in the "bad" neighborhood at 3 am who assaults me in the "good" neighborhood at 3 pm? Could it be possible that it's just because a rapist is a rapist? And not dependent on what I was wearing, where I was, or what time I "dared" to go out into the world?
If someone is going to rape someone else, it doesn't really matter what else is going on. The problem is with them. It starts with them and it ends with them. THEY are the problem.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Actually this contains way too many odd things. Why would anyone specifically go to a bad neighborhood at 3:AM?

I mean, your premise seems to be there are people dressing in slutty clothes and then seeking out a bad neighborhood to wander in at the strange hour of 3:AM.

???????

There is no point in using such a ridiculous premise to try and make a point. I would imagine that anyone one in a bad neighborhood lives there or has some other reason to be there. What they are wearing is immaterial. Anyone could be assaulted in any way or get robbed or anything in a really bad neighborhood. Having nothing to do with gender or attire.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
What if I am in a "good" neighborhood at 3 in the afternoon, walking around in a polo shirt, baggy mom jeans, and ugly tennis shoes and I get sexually assaulted? Is it less "my fault," then? What if it's the same rapist who assaulted me in the "bad" neighborhood at 3 am who assaults me in the "good" neighborhood at 3 pm? Could it be possible that it's just because a rapist is a rapist? And not dependent on what I was wearing, where I was, or what time I "dared" to go out into the world?
If someone is going to rape someone else, it doesn't really matter what else is going on. The problem is with them. It starts with them and it ends with them. THEY are the problem.
Yeah. That. Remember the woman that was passed out drunk by a dumpster? One man raped her and two others saved her. Obviously, the problem is with the rapist, and only the rapist. The vast majority of men would have tried to help her or leave her alone. Only a rapist even thought about taking advantage of the situation.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,945,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
For a certain set of people, the answer is always going to be yes. There isn't anything bad that will happen to you that couldn't have been prevented by your doing something different. Didn't win the lottery? You should have picked better numbers! Gunned down at music festival? Who goes out in public without body armor and dutifully checking all possible sniper positions? People who are either naive about our gun laws or are just stupid risk takers.

And this will make it your responsibility. You will be called stupid for putting yourself in that situation. Someone will point out how irresponsible it was for you to do that, and, even though the criminal is to blame, it would be a lie to not point out that you are at fault, too. When it's just the internet you will feel a little bad, but these same people will be on the jury acquitting your attacker because you only said no and couldn't have meant it because you didn't claw out his eyeballs. Or they'll be the judge who will be lenient on the man who rapes you while you are completely passed out because he's the one that was conscious at the time and can remember what happened.

These are the same people who instantly blame the parents whenever a child is kidnapped. They've never taken their eyes off of their kid in public for even a nanosecond, so anyone who does is basically asking for it. They also have no sympathy when someone dies of a heart attack, of a stroke, or of cancer, because they take care of their bodies and the person who died clearly didn't.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
These are the same people who instantly blame the parents whenever a child is kidnapped. They've never taken their eyes off of their kid in public for even a nanosecond, so anyone who does is basically asking for it.
I think it's more than that. People still have sympathy for the parents. The 'shouldn't have taken their eyes off though' is secondary. When women are raped, it's far more blatant regarding 'she must have done something wrong for this to happen, what was it?'

What was she wearing, where was she, did she flirt with the guy? How much did she have to drink?

Did she forget that she has to dump any drink that gets out of her eyesight for even a moment? (That is my rule, knowing what can happen), but that is an insane amount of diligence we must constantly be under, and we can NEVER alter our behavior enough to keep ourselves safe from anything, as you pointed out about snipers at a concert.

Every single question asked is aimed at placing the blame anywhere but on the rapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology