Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 06:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
People need to raise their sons to act responsibly.
This!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:00 PM

828 posts, read 693,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Being stupid, careless, naive or whatever does not excuse the actions of the other. He still bears full responsibility.
I disagree. If there is a sign that says "Do not feed the bears", and you then feed the bears and get attacked by a bear as a result, how is it not partly your fault?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
People need to raise their sons to act responsibly.
A lot of people (usually hard core "self reliance" types in theory and rhetoric, even if not in practice, love to ballyhoo about personal responsibility.
Why not men take personal responsibility for controlling their own urges? Just as much so, why not mainstream society take personal responsibility for indulging their distaste of people who are "irresponsible", "naïve", "gullible", "too trusting", etc. I swear, it's as if our culture decides that those faults are so distasteful that they actually have more respect for smart shoplifters, good bull**** salespeople, con artists, and even rude and disrespectful types of "alpha males" than they do people who don't intend to hurt or degrade others.

Last edited by Phil75230; 10-20-2017 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
I disagree. If there is a sign that says "Do not feed the bears", and you then feed the bears and get attacked by a bear as a result, how is it not partly your fault?
EVERY guy has a "sign", automatically so there's no need for any guy to actually wear it? Or are you saying we're going to make a law that the "bad" ones have to wear a sign? Cool! - kinda like the Scarlet Letter and it would be a big red "R" for RAPIST?! What's your point exactly?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,322 times
Quote:
Well it was some people's hope that a man is somewhat different than a wild grizzly bear..

Old 10-20-2017, 11:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
So, men are bears? Wild animals?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Ah. So, in your scenario, men are driven by instinct to aggress, and cannot be deterred by normal human capacity to hold back and not behave in a violently aggressive manner?

Well, then.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:36 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You were 14? And your MOM encouraged this? I'm sorry she put you in that position. In most states at least today that is statutory rape and a 14 year old can only consent with someone within like 3-4 years of their own age, give or take. So what happened to you is rape by law (today's standards, not sure how long ago this happened to you or what the law was then), no way around that. That was 100% rape and as a kid, not your fault even a little. I'm appalled your mom took two guys home, one for each of you. Jesus. Fourteen.
Yeah, I thought that was sick, too. And her mother never even took notice of what was going on because she was busy balling the other guy. What a piece of work. Today she'd be charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:20 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yeah, I thought that was sick, too. And her mother never even took notice of what was going on because she was busy balling the other guy. What a piece of work. Today she'd be charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Yes, and the mother blamed her. Her 14 year old daughter was sexually assaulted and obviously bothered by it and all the mother had to say is "What did you think would happen when you brought him home?"

There are some parents out there who will always make their child feel responsible for everything bad that happens to them. I mean, really, who wants to report a sexual assault if your parents won't even support you. People who have these types of parents can fully understand why some sexual assaults and rapes go unreported.

As to the grizzly bear analogy - the grizzly bear would be hunted down and killed for attacking a human. Maybe we should do the same for a rapist?!

Old 10-21-2017, 09:57 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Yes, and the mother blamed her. Her 14 year old daughter was sexually assaulted and obviously bothered by it and all the mother had to say is "What did you think would happen when you brought him home?"

There are some parents out there who will always make their child feel responsible for everything bad that happens to them. I mean, really, who wants to report a sexual assault if your parents won't even support you. People who have these types of parents can fully understand why some sexual assaults and rapes go unreported.

As to the grizzly bear analogy - the grizzly bear would be hunted down and killed for attacking a human. Maybe we should do the same for a rapist?!
That is similar to what my mom said to me about her friends daughter who was raped at 14 by her uncle. My mom said the girl seduced the rapist. What happened is what happened and it can't be changed. What really irritated me is that they made the 14 year old into the aggressor with the word seduced. Had my mom said that this girl was raped by her uncle instead of seduced the uncle I wouldn't have been so enraged at the situation. My mother didn't say anything the day I freaked out about that comment. A few months later she felt the need to explain the situation as her friend had grown up with sexual abuse and didn't understand that the girl wasn't responsible. She also started saying the 14 year old was raped. So it shows people can change their minds about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology