Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 AM

212 posts, read 159,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I dont think it's always entitlement some people are just more sensitive towards rejection then others.

Me I'm insecure about my looks and ability to attract women so I take rejection extremely hard..has nothing to do with entitlement

Sure some people are entitled or narcissistic and that's why they can't take rejection but not always the case.

Sometimes the rejected person feels inadequate because of constant rejection.
I agree with you but I don't think it's boys not be able to handle rejection I think it's boys tired of not getting any success no matter what they do or whose advice they take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:30 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
This is what I do, and it has worked wonderfully for me so far. I should say though, before doing this, you should at least make yourself desireable to women somehow first. Either through looks, or money, status, fitness, humor, intelligence or personality or height or something that will give you a fighting chance at attracting them to begin with. Because if youre just flat hideous, with no backup plan, you may be waiting for women to flirt who will never come.

But Ive had women ask me why I didnt show interest in them before they showed interest in me. I make no bones about the fact that the power to advance or stop the relationship, particularly in today's climate, lies entirely with her. No need to play games and act like Im going to jump thru hoops to sweep her off her feet, when ultimately it will be her who decides whether there will be a sexual relationship or not. The way I see it is we can just cut straight to the chase, let your intentions be known up front and if youre interested in me, just let me know. That way we dont waste time and money "dating", only for me to find out you never "thought of me in that way" or whatever other lame copout for wasting my time that she may have up her sleeve, and she doesnt have to be hounded by some "creeper" she was never interested in to begin with. Its a win, win to me
This is a good approach.. Like the Larry David approach from the show Curb Your Enthusiasm where he tells a girl he picks up on the street that he isn't cool, and that he would like to waste some of her time haha.....

This approach takes the pressure off. Also it might make the women feel more comfortable knowing they won't be pressured into anything and that they have control. By acknowledging the women has a large degree of control it actually forces her to stop acting so coy and dumb... It puts the ball back in her court with no pressure on our side of the court.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 11-06-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 10:34 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
These are easy enough to figure out. Here's one that takes the cake.

* * * Wednesday, 1:00 PM * * *
Man: "Do you want to get together on Friday after work?"
Woman: "Sure."
Man: "Great, see you on Friday."
* * * Friday, 4:55 PM * * *
Woman: "Um... I have to wash my hair tonight."
Which is something she should have said right at the beginning, rather than give the man false hope for days. Is it a power game of some sort, to make yourself feel large and in charge? Seriously, I want to know.

Fortunately, I quickly learned the idea that a date isn't happening until she's standing in front of me, wherever we agreed to meet. I also make a backup plan for the date time slot (like a Meetup or beers with friend), so I'm not stuck sitting at home if/when she cancels on me last minute.
Honestly find it sad that there are so many humans in the world who are just plain inconsiderate. Like no, I don't OWE anyone anything, but if I've given my own word that I will meet someone at a time and place, and I can't, then I believe it is just common sense good manners to let them know ASAP so that they can manage their schedule. But then, I believe that time has value, it's perhaps the most precious of our limited commodities. I don't appreciate having my time wasted by an inconsiderate person either.

And it is NOT just women who do this. I've had men do this, plenty. This comes straight down to whether a person is decent, considerate, respectful of the value of another person's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
There's flirting, and there's flirting.

Attention flirting and interest flirting aren't too difficult to tell apart for most men over 25. The biggest tell is how a woman reacts to and reciprocates touch. But there other, more subtle tells. You really gotta handle it on a case-by-case basis for the most part, and react accordingly. Venues make a difference, but they're not the deciding factor.

There's also a third type: friendly flirting. It's when a woman engages in low-level flirting because she respects you, rather than likes you, as a way of making you feel good. I had a few women in my Meetup groups flirt with me that way. It actually feels pretty nice, even if there's no romantic interest. There's a catch: it's hard to tell apart from interest flirting.
One of the biggest key differences in my flirtation with or without intent, is that if I have a real interest, is how I communicate my relationship status. If I made sure a man knew I was available and told him what sort of thing I was hoping to find in a partner...there is some intent going on. If I, during my poly phase, had explained poly and how that worked, and what my level of availability for anything new...there may be some intent. If I plainly state that I'm in a relationship and talk about how lucky I am to find my wonderful beloved man and we hope to get married in a few years...then anything else going on should be taken as friendly social behavior for funsies, with NO intent.

I think if a woman does want a man to pursue her, she will give strong indications that she's available to be pursued.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:46 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
True, but there is a fine line between having healthy expectations and having entitlements. It comes down to both of them being an attitude and how you approach life in general. What would life be life without having expectations, standards and goals? Sure it no good to become outcome dependent or attached in our social interactions but having high expectations I think is perfectly healthy and normal. How you balance this without becoming needy or entitled is an art.
I don't think it's a matter of being healthy or unhealthy, it's about being realistic. To me having high expectations when asking someone out isn't realistic. It can border on entitlement and insecurity.

And it all goes back to this....they are both PERSONAL ISSUES. It's not fair for people to try to make others bear the burden of their insecurities or their entitlement. If you're ALWAYS insecure and sensitive nobody can make you feel better but you.

That's another issue with people like this: No introspection and lacking motivation to help themselves.

Last edited by Auraliea; 11-06-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Unhappy, unhappy
You have no complaint
You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood
Signed, dear Abby

Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_waves View Post
I guess we're supposed to be cold, unfeeling robots. That shows confidence and lack of entitlement.
Why are you asking me a question I don’t have time for right now!?!
get out of my face you unworthy dummy, I don’t have any time or entertain you.

BEGON!

This may not be the message you intend to send when you project you do not want to be bothered by other people surrounding you, but make no mistake this is the message you’re sending.

It’s why being courteous to those you do not know and being polite in general is a good thing to be doing.

Whether or not you want to come off as a “bad person” only comes down to how you (actually) treat other people. It has nothing to do with what you want others to think of you.

TBTH the lack of awareness in this regard is on the rise in general.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't think it's a matter of being healthy or unhealthy, it's about being realistic. To me having high expectations when asking someone out isn't realistic. It can border on entitlement and insecurity.

And it all goes back to this....they are both PERSONAL ISSUES. It's not fair for people to try to make others bear the burden of their insecurities or their entitlement. If you're ALWAYS insecure and sensitive nobody can make you feel better but you.

That's another issue with people like this: No introspection and lacking motivation to help themselves.
True everyone has their own agenda and pace they move in life, so expecting someone to march at the beat of your drum just to meet your expectations would be entitlement. I guess it's okay to have high expectations but not to pressure another person in trying to meet them. Either we adjust our expectations and work with what we have or we continue to search for other opportunities.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM

212 posts, read 159,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_waves View Post
I miss 100% of the shots I take, ha ha!
Nobody has an answer for this, you sir deserve a rep.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Be a little crazy.. venture out the comfort zone... try something different.. switch up dating pools.. etc..

Of course it isn't easy but what else do you have to loose?

Old 11-06-2017, 03:29 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
They're learning their social skills through the media, FB, texting and others. Which means not learning much at all. Put the phone away, get your nose out of the phone, and look up for a change. You just might learn something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology