Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 02:30 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screami View Post
Why not?
Because “boys” are human as well and subject to all the same tendencies as “girls”

Nobody is going to wait on someone else if they truly desire things from them. They will eventually show their intentions to attempt to obtain what they desire.

Otherwise it’s pointless to even relate or attempt to communicate to one another outside of relating to general interests you may share.

By advocating someone do something just because someone “could” treat them in a way they wouldn’t like you’re advocating nobody learn anything and imply that only one way of doing things is the proper way to accommodate people.

You just end up playing a silly power game to avoid personal responsibilities and safeguard your own interests.

Last edited by rego00123; 11-04-2017 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:59 PM

212 posts, read 159,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Because “boys” are human as well and subject to all the same tendencies as “girls”

Nobody is going to wait on someone else if they truly desire things from them. They will eventually show their intentions to attempt to obtain what they desire.

Otherwise it’s pointless to even relate or attempt to communicate to one another outside of relating to general interests you may share.

By advocating someone do something just because someone “could” treat them in a way they wouldn’t like you’re advocating nobody learn anything and imply that only one way of doing things is the proper way to accommodate people.

You just end up playing a silly power game to avoid personal responsibilities and safeguard your own interests.
My interests are the only thing that matters and I'm not obligated to learn how to deal with rejection just to make someone else feel safe as long as I'm cool with it.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:14 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Imho, young men should be taught, "dont bother asking any girl out unless she flirts with you first. Its possible that shes interested in you, buts also possible shes pretending for any number of reasons. Advise them also to forget dating web sites and buying women drinks in bars and trying to hook up. In all cases, theres a high likelyhood of rejection.
This is what I do, and it has worked wonderfully for me so far. I should say though, before doing this, you should at least make yourself desireable to women somehow first. Either through looks, or money, status, fitness, humor, intelligence or personality or height or something that will give you a fighting chance at attracting them to begin with. Because if youre just flat hideous, with no backup plan, you may be waiting for women to flirt who will never come.

But Ive had women ask me why I didnt show interest in them before they showed interest in me. I make no bones about the fact that the power to advance or stop the relationship, particularly in today's climate, lies entirely with her. No need to play games and act like Im going to jump thru hoops to sweep her off her feet, when ultimately it will be her who decides whether there will be a sexual relationship or not. The way I see it is we can just cut straight to the chase, let your intentions be known up front and if youre interested in me, just let me know. That way we dont waste time and money "dating", only for me to find out you never "thought of me in that way" or whatever other lame copout for wasting my time that she may have up her sleeve, and she doesnt have to be hounded by some "creeper" she was never interested in to begin with. Its a win, win to me

Old 11-04-2017, 04:20 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,027 times
Quote:
Imho, young men should be taught, "dont bother asking any girl out unless she flirts with you first. Its possible that shes interested in you, buts also possible shes pretending for any number of reasons. Advise them also to forget dating web sites and buying women drinks in bars and trying to hook up. In all cases, theres a high likelyhood of rejection.
Bad advice. For a lot of guys, that's going to be pretty much lead them to being single forever, lol.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Bad advice. For a lot of guys, that's going to be pretty much lead them to being single forever, lol.
Great advice. If women aren't flirting or approaching you, that's a clear sign that some self improvement is needed.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Great advice. If women aren't flirting or approaching you, that's a clear sign that some self improvement is needed.
Nope, it means nothing.

Btw, how in the world do you correlate not being approach/flirted with and needing self-improvement? Lol, one has zero to do with the other.

For some guys, women just won't approach or flirt with you (doesn't matter how much money you make or how well groomed you are, etc.). You have to make things happen. That's how I've gotten my dates and makeout sessions (with occasionally it leading into something more :P).

Believe me, I used to be very passive and let the woman try to come approach and flirt with me, it pretty much never happened and led me to nowhere.

If a guy is dark, tall, handsome and has at least "decent" social skills, he can probably get away with letting women approach him. For the average guy, that simply won't be the case.

Like I said, Augie's post simply isn't good advice for the average guy.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 11-04-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Btw, how in the world do you correlate not being approach/flirted with and needing self-improvement? Lol, one has zero to do with the other.

For some guys, women just won't approach or flirt with you (doesn't matter how much money you make or how well groomed you are, etc.). You have to make things happen. That's how I've gotten my dates and makeout sessions (with occasionally it leading into something more :P).

Believe me, I used to be very passive and let the woman try to come approach and flirt with me, it pretty much never happened and led me to nowhere.

If a guy is dark, tall, handsome and has at least "decent" social skills, he can probably get away with letting women approach him. For the average guy, that simply won't be the case.

Like I said, Augie's post simply isn't good advice for the average guy.
So, in other words, there's absolutely no room for improvement for the average guy; the average, American male who is most likely out of shape, lacking in necessary confidence and probably doesn't make that much money? I disagree.

In my opinion, the problem is that we're so busy telling people that they're perfectly fine the way they are and don't need to make any changes that would actually tilt the odds in their favor. My experience has taught me that it's definitely possible to go from being virtually ignored to being approached regularly. Your mileage may vary.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So, in other words, there's absolutely no room for improvement for the average guy; the average, American male who is most likely out of shape, lacking in necessary confidence and probably doesn't make that much money? I disagree.

In my opinion, the problem is that we're so busy telling people that they're perfectly fine the way they are and don't need to make any changes that would actually tilt the odds in their favor. My experience has taught me that it's definitely possible to go from being virtually ignored to being approached regularly. Your mileage may vary.
Okay, but my main point is that even if you are in shape, have confidence, and make money. That still doesn't mean women will approach or flirt with you. For some guys, they have to do the approaching and flirting. I don't even disagree with your first paragraph at all, but that really has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

For me, what has worked best is doing the approaching and flirting and making the moves (whether in-person or usually on online dating apps).

Old 11-04-2017, 05:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
Quote:
If I took this advice, I wouldn't be with the wonderful woman I'm with now.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Okay, but my main point is that even if you are in shape, have confidence, and make money. That still doesn't mean women will approach or flirt with you. For some guys, they have to do the approaching and flirting. I don't even disagree with your first paragraph at all, but that has nothing really to do with what we're talking about.

For me, what has worked best is doing the approaching and flirting and making the moves (whether in-person or usually on online dating apps).
Sure it does. You obviously believe that most women are only approaching Mr. Universe, and I'm saying that any guy that has his stuff together is going to find himself not having to make the first move very often. If I have to pursue her, she's either not genuinely interested or she's playing hard to get. In either case I'm not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology