Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Really? What section?

I think he knows the word Constitution but doesn't really know or understand it. This isn't his first mistake regarding it.

Is it even taught in civics classes anymore?

Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 AM

514 posts, read 602,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think he knows the word Constitution but doesn't really know or understand it. This isn't his first mistake regarding it.

Is there a Civics class? I know I never had it. I certainly had to study the Constitution over the years but I don't think we ever went beyond the Bill of Rights in high school.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Is there a Civics class? I know I never had it. I certainly had to study the Constitution over the years but I don't think we ever went beyond the Bill of Rights in high school.
In NC, at least when I was in High School (15+ yrs ago, admittedly) Civics was taught in the 9th grade. The whole year, "social studies" class was all about Civics.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I disagree with this comment in the context that some others are using it. We are talking about someone being shot and killed. It is not justified because someone matches a profile. Some on this discussion disagree with me, but the constitution is VERY CLEAR that someone is innocent until proven guilty. That holds true here in Raleigh.

I do agree with these comments. The INFORMATION is relevant, and my heart goes out to all involved, including the officer and his family, who I assume did not set out to be involved with this when he woke up on the day of the incident.
Completely agree that people are innocent until proven guilty, but "is in a gang" is demographic information and police DO excercise greater caution trying to apprehend citizens who are in gangs than they do old ladies with unpaid parking tickets, no?

Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

I get your point. It's not part of the Constitution, but it is an accepted legal requirement.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Completely agree that people are innocent until proven guilty, but "is in a gang" is demographic information and police DO excercise greater caution trying to apprehend citizens who are in gangs than they do old ladies with unpaid parking tickets, no?
I see your point. If the cops were out there looking for him, I'm sure they new his history and affiliations.

I'd love to know what exactly their instructions/information about him was and how it was given. Were they told to consider him "armed and dangerous"? If so, how do police usually determine that? Or is there some other less-Hollywood cliche term they use and what does it mean?

My ex had his concealed carry permit and I wonder if, had we had any police show up looking for my ex, would they have considered him "armed and dangerous" because of the number of firearms in our household (which was more than 4, for scale)? Not trying to pull a strawman, but really just don't know what kind of factors are used in the decision to issue these types of "warnings" to officers when they're looking for someone.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Really? What section?
This is covered by the 5th Amendment's Due Process clause:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:03 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
"Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments. See also Coffin v. United States and In re Winship."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

"The burden of proof imposed on the prosecution and the presumption of innocence granted every defendant are based on the "Due Process" Clauses of the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments."
Burden of Proof and Presumption of Innocence

"The concept of the presumption of innocence is one of the most basic in our system of justice. However, in so many words, it is not codified in the text of the Constitution. This basic right comes to us, like many things, from English jurisprudence, and has been a part of that system for so long, that it is considered common law. The concept is embodied in several provisions of the Constitution, however, such as the right to remain silent and the right to a jury."
Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
This is covered by the 5th Amendment's Due Process clause:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Well, here I wasted all that time cleaning my guns for a little Street Skeet...
Dang.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I see your point. If the cops were out there looking for him, I'm sure they new his history and affiliations.

I'd love to know what exactly their instructions/information about him was and how it was given. Were they told to consider him "armed and dangerous"? If so, how do police usually determine that? Or is there some other less-Hollywood cliche term they use and what does it mean?

My ex had his concealed carry permit and I wonder if, had we had any police show up looking for my ex, would they have considered him "armed and dangerous" because of the number of firearms in our household (which was more than 4, for scale)? Not trying to pull a strawman, but really just don't know what kind of factors are used in the decision to issue these types of "warnings" to officers when they're looking for someone.
Yup. If you have a CCW permit and get stopped for speeding, for example, cops DO treat you as armed and (potentially) dangerous.

Not that they think you plan to shoot them, but it's a safety matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary