Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:03 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times

Advertisements

The latest so far:

Warrant: Raleigh police threatened day of officer-involved shooting :: WRAL.com

Old 03-03-2016, 09:55 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Here is what I find interesting...

Gang members, guns, robberies...streets are quiet.

Someone gets shot and look at all the people on the streets...ministers, clergy, righteous and indignant neighbors.

My thought...if all these people were out and about, keeping eyes on the streets, maybe the people breaking the laws would think twice about doing that. Maybe if people tried to HELP those that needed help getting on their feet, things like this wouldn't happen. Maybe if they were there to HELP instead of PROTEST, the area would benefit.
Well said....to go little further, Maybe if the Victim had good education, Maybe if the Victim's parents had good education and a right living environment these things will not happen. "It takes a village to raise a child...."

Old 03-03-2016, 10:04 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments. See also Coffin v. United States and In re Winship."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

"The burden of proof imposed on the prosecution and the presumption of innocence granted every defendant are based on the "Due Process" Clauses of the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments."
Burden of Proof and Presumption of Innocence

"The concept of the presumption of innocence is one of the most basic in our system of justice. However, in so many words, it is not codified in the text of the Constitution. This basic right comes to us, like many things, from English jurisprudence, and has been a part of that system for so long, that it is considered common law. The concept is embodied in several provisions of the Constitution, however, such as the right to remain silent and the right to a jury."
Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
All these points are of course, correct, but what you have omitted is that all these words are in regard to the legal system and only the legal system.

They do not apply to reality. If I shoot a person on the street, I have committed that crime, I am guilty of that crime. Only in the courtroom am I presumed innocent until proven.

So many people hide behind the legal side of things, and ignore the reality. It is why the school systems are pushing critical thinking so hard.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
All these points are of course, correct, but what you have omitted is that all these words are in regard to the legal system and only the legal system.

They do not apply to reality. If I shoot a person on the street, I have committed that crime, I am guilty of that crime. Only in the courtroom am I presumed innocent until proven.

So many people hide behind the legal side of things, and ignore the reality. It is why the school systems are pushing critical thinking so hard.
Well, yeah, but a cop obviously is not completely independent of the criminal justice system.

And, of course, no one is "innocent" if they are guilty. "Innocent" means "innocent." We just don't presume guilt over innocence, either in the court or in ethical thought, IMO.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM

544 posts, read 852,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, yeah, but a cop obviously is not completely independent of the criminal justice system.

And, of course, no one is "innocent" if they are guilty. "Innocent" means "innocent." We just don't presume guilt over innocence, either in the court or in ethical thought, IMO.
....... and after yet another wrongly convicted North Carolinian has been freed, I'll take the presumption of innocence any day of the week.

Considering the number of cases of investigatory and proprietorial misconduct, the presumption of innocence is important.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Well said....to go little further, Maybe if the Victim had good education, Maybe if the Victim's parents had good education and a right living environment these things will not happen. "It takes a village to raise a child...."
One could also argue that even people who have all those things still wind up criminals.

Similarly, plenty of people who don't have those things do not become criminals.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

True, in "reality", someone was either guilty or innocent, and even the findings of a trial won't change that. Even if the findings were wrong.

But again, "context". This was all in response to an original comment by someone that suggested that the killing of this person was justified since they were criminals anyway. In hindsight, that may or many not end up to be true. But you IN THE EYES OF THE LAW, the guy who has been convicted of nothing is innocent, so shooting him for crimes he allegedly committed is not OK.

It may be OK in some countries, but not this one.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
True, in "reality", someone was either guilty or innocent, and even the findings of a trial won't change that. Even if the findings were wrong.

But again, "context". This was all in response to an original comment by someone that suggested that the killing of this person was justified since they were criminals anyway. In hindsight, that may or many not end up to be true. But you IN THE EYES OF THE LAW, the guy who has been convicted of nothing is innocent, so shooting him for crimes he allegedly committed is not OK.

It may be OK in some countries, but not this one.
Truth. And this issue is totally separate from whether or not he WAS innocent. Or from whether or not the police officer acted within the law.

Which is what those things called "investigations" and "trials" are designed to find out to the best of our human ability.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:08 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
That's interesting. I went back through some of the articles and couldn't find where they state exactly what time (or there abouts) the shooting occurred because the new article says the email from the "unknown Gmail account" was sent " sometime between the hours of noon and 3 p.m. on February 29". That part is confusing to me because how do you NOT know when an email was sent? They all have time stamps, right?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:16 AM

341 posts, read 297,713 times
Live by the streets, die by the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary