Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:17 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Well said....to go little further, Maybe if the Victim had good education, Maybe if the Victim's parents had good education and a right living environment these things will not happen. "It takes a village to raise a child...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
One could also argue that even people who have all those things still wind up criminals.

Similarly, plenty of people who don't have those things do not become criminals.
Agreed...but, not in this case and most cases!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
Life by the streets, die by the streets.
good one...wish he had a good life so he didn't end up living in the streets and dying in the streets!

I Hope his kids get a good life and don't end up in the streets and get shot in the streets!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
That's interesting. I went back through some of the articles and couldn't find where they state exactly what time (or there abouts) the shooting occurred because the new article says the email from the "unknown Gmail account" was sent " sometime between the hours of noon and 3 p.m. on February 29". That part is confusing to me because how do you NOT know when an email was sent? They all have time stamps, right?
They know. They aren't telling. Of course they know.

There's still an investigation going on.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
good one...wish he had a good life so he didn't end up living in the streets and dying in the streets!

I Hope his kids get a good life and don't end up in the streets and get shot in the streets!
While I disagree with the quoted poster's sentiments in this case (because we are talking about a situation involving law enforcement that is unclear at the moment), I would have agreed had this man been killed by a member of a rival gang.

Because, it would really apply then.

I hope his kids do better than he did, for sure.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Agreed...but, not in this case and most cases!
I do get what you're saying, but what do you suggest we (here in the local area, for this is a local board) do about it?

My husband mentioned a program to me yesterday that takes urban kids and puts them in tech sector jobs as "interns" to teach them about opportunities available to them (presumably, because the hope is that it'll interest them in attending college).

But, this program seems to be challenged in that they told the businesses nothing about what skills the kids might have. Could be as simple as "This kid can type 35 wpm" or "This kid excels in alpha-numerical tests and might be able to assist in organizing files"

See what I mean? I know that organization means well, but you cannot just take kids out and have them wander around RTP inside various companies without telling those companies what each child has an aptitude for and expect the employees at these companies to have ANY idea how to inspire the kids.

Which means, this is sort of a "feel good" program and not something that would legitimately lead them down another path later on.

Soo.... all that said, what would you suggest is done?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:35 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times
Quote:
They know. They aren't telling. Of course they know.

There's still an investigation going on.
I know they know, what I'm saying it that it seems all spinny of them to say there was an email but not say the exact time. I guess I don't think they should've said anything about the email at all because there is still the investigation.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I know they know, what I'm saying it that it seems all spinny of them to say there was an email but not say the exact time. I guess I don't think they should've said anything about the email at all because there is still the investigation.
They might be hoping that the release of this bit of info will achieve a goal, such as pushing key people to talk and/or behave in a manner that will get them more leads into whatever was going on that day.

I think saying they received an email and not saying ANYTHING but that they'd gotten one that day would probably have sufficed.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I do get what you're saying, but what do you suggest we (here in the local area, for this is a local board) do about it?

My husband mentioned a program to me yesterday that takes urban kids and puts them in tech sector jobs as "interns" to teach them about opportunities available to them (presumably, because the hope is that it'll interest them in attending college).

But, this program seems to be challenged in that they told the businesses nothing about what skills the kids might have. Could be as simple as "This kid can type 35 wpm" or "This kid excels in alpha-numerical tests and might be able to assist in organizing files"

See what I mean? I know that organization means well, but you cannot just take kids out and have them wander around RTP inside various companies without telling those companies what each child has an aptitude for and expect the employees at these companies to have ANY idea how to inspire the kids.

Which means, this is sort of a "feel good" program and not something that would legitimately lead them down another path later on.

Soo.... all that said, what would you suggest is done?
Flawed program....

Every skill has its own benefit....if someone is good at hacking computers, FBI will take them. Some kids may be good at fixing cars or building stuff, they should identify their skills, talk to them as what they would like to do and put them in areas they are good and enjoy doing it, Just putting all of them in tech sector doesn't make sense.

But, good start though, as with many programs, they are not perfect the first time.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Flawed program....

Every skill has its own benefit....if someone is good at hacking computers, FBI will take them. Some kids may be good at fixing cars or building stuff, they should identify their skills, talk to them as what they would like to do and put them in areas they are good and enjoy doing it, Just putting all of them in tech sector doesn't make sense.

But, good start though, as with many programs, they are not perfect the first time.
I agree. I think programs are a good idea. Apprenticeship ones are also very good because not all kids are going to be college material (or want to go, even if they are). Some need to learn valuable, marketable skills that will allow them to be financially independent. Maybe they'll go to college one day. Maybe they'll start a successful auto repair shop and their kids will go to college. Who knows?

But, the programs are a start. The execution of these programs needs to be better.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Truth. And this issue is totally separate from whether or not he WAS innocent. Or from whether or not the police officer acted within the law.

Which is what those things called "investigations" and "trials" are designed to find out to the best of our human ability.
I agree. I just get very alarmed by the sentiment that the dead guy deserved it. It may turn out that he did (not really, nobody deserves to die like that, even a bad person), but if that happens to be the case, that he was guilty of a crime worthy of the death sentence, it will only be after the fact. At the time he was shot, it was not justifiable. That much is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary