Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM

780 posts, read 426,006 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who finds this thread hilarious?

OP finds toilet seat up in house after showing, automatically assumes #1 or #2 was performed, no residue mind you, and goes on tirade on City-Data forum about people using their toilet during house showings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post

OP finds toilet seat up in house after showing, automatically assumes #1 or #2 was performed, no residue mind you, and goes on tirade on City-Data forum about people using their toilet during house showings.
Hilarious? Only you?

Heck no. I heard that 27 lurkers and 5 active posters had to call 911. Laughing so hard they were Oxygen starved. Scary stuff.

Being a Proactive Pro, last week I leased one of these bad boys for showing houses, cause it is hard to predict client needs:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post

Hilarious? I guess it is.

For me, the word "ridiculous" came to mind.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:24 PM

801 posts, read 615,982 times
The OP would be FURIOUS if she saw how I look at houses... even though you'd never be able to tell.

I want to see everything. Test everything. We were burned badly, not doing this, with our first home. It won't happen again. I'm going to put a wad of TP in and flush every toilet. Twice. I'm going to run hot and cold water in every sink, in every basin, while looking at the pipes in the cupboard below to check for leaks. I'm going to look for scum around the base of every toilet and dishwasher waste line and bounce on the floor near every water source. I will open every closet door all the way and flop over awkwardly-placed rugs to check for damage. I'll look behind furniture placed oddly too, to look for holes. I'll turn on every stove burner and turn on every oven, to make sure they work.

Why? Because even though it might be found during inspection, I see no reason to pay someone several hundred dollars to find things that can be serious issues (especially water issues and rotten floors that have been well masked) and even then, he might not find those smaller things that can be used in negotiations. I'll save that for a house that has passed the first once over without serious problems...

I am NOT going to wait to find out that your toilet setup is shoddy and the floor joists are rotten after spending a few hundred dollars for an inspection. Not when I can sit down, notice that it wobbles, wad up some TP and flush it - hearing weird sucking/clogging sounds or it's clearly almost blocked - and then bounce on the floor... and it BOUNCES or feels soft. Nope. That's a house I don't want. Who knows what else is going on in there?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
These people "going" in toilets, are not inspecting the house.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:42 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Leave it as you found it. If you do use it make sure things are in the same condition. Flush the toilet, wash you hands and clean up after yourself.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:41 PM

710 posts, read 1,962,256 times
I looked at my initial response on this thread from 2012 to see if it said the same thing I was going to post, and it did: We looked at several homes whose toilets were not much better than an average gas station toilet, and some were worse. I absolutely have used the bathroom in houses we were being shown, IF they passed my inspection. I would do it again. Some of you guys have some seriously orderly bladders and they do just what you tell them to. You should know that not everybody has their urinary system under such good control, though. I'm just going to pretend that's what we are talking about, the crazy human urinary tract. I don't want to talk about the other, plus I see it's been well-covered with even a reference to a great bit of literature that tackles the essentials.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
I had to go one time while we were looking in Arizona. The house was unoccupied, so I didn't see any issue with using the toilet. Until I tried to flush. And found out the water had been shut off. I looked everywhere for the water shutoff valve, but never did find it. A few months later we were looking at that same house again and noticed that someone had found a way to flush my mess. Funny thing is, this was the house we ultimately wound up buying. And I did find the water shutoff valve. It was outside, on the side of the house. Coming from Alaska, it never occurred to me that a water shutoff would be outside, because there is no such thing as an outside shutoff valve in Alaska. It's either in the garage, if the house is on a slab, or in the crawlspace.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,194,063 times
Same thing happened to me Alaska. Made my husband go to neighbors house and get some buckets of water so I could flush. I didn't care how embarrassing having to do that I wasn't to leave a unflushed toilet. For what it's worth I was very pregnant and not feeling so well.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM

14,498 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Usually if homes are winterized or have the power and water turned off, they'll tape the toilets so it's obvious BEFORE they're used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate